Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,352 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I wonder if anyone is the press is at the airport counting numbers of passengers today?

I came through Terminal 2 arrivals around 9.30 - no hint of any press, or indeed any warnings about coronavirus. There was something up warning about African Swine Fever though:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I would think that the Serious and Critical confirmed cases should be in Hospital and the Mild confirmed Isolate at home , no?

While numbers are low all cases seem to be being hospitalised. It makes sense because it lets our medical staff get used to safe practice and learn now while they can. In another week or so, mild cases will be told to stay home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

There was a marathon runner in Italy in intensive car. Just because you are healthy doesn't guarantee anything.

You are more likely to die or suffer severely if you are young. Doesn't mean that nobody young or healthy will suffer.

You can be one of the very small number. I wouldn't be too complacent

Long distance runners are not in the best shape to fight viruses. Their bodies are often stressed from their training and they can lack the strength to fight of bad viruses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Beasty wrote: »
    I came through Terminal 2 arrivals around 9.30 - no hint of any press, or indeed any warnings about coronavirus. There was something up warning about African Swine Fever though:rolleyes:

Pic or GTFO :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

quokula wrote: »
    No the Maths of road deaths are far, far worse. And they continue long after the epidemic passes.

non sense
    car accidents are not going to disrupt established health care systems and affect an exponentially number of people. There is a reason why extreme measures are being taken to stop this virus
    Ebola probably killed less people than anything but you would rather be on a motorway than being around it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The only proactive measure the officials have taken so far is to cancel a rugby game that is scheduled for this weekend.

They might as well have played the game now, given it was highly unlikely the 15 players would be infected , much more likely to be the 6,000 fans , that are coming anyway - bureacracy at its worst in my mind.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

quokula wrote: »

But if you take any bad thing, whether it's coronavirus, suicide, road deaths, seasonal flu, heart disease etc, and you start obsessively following every single incidence of that thing occurring anywhere on the entire planet, you will start to get a wildly unrealistic perception of how likely that thing is to directly impact you or those around you and it's simply not healthy.

This is exactly it. I know its not the same as flu or a cold BUT, if the media reported on how many people caught a flu or a cold each day, there would be widespread panic. The perception of fear is far greater when it is thrust into your face on a case by case basis. As i said, if the media reported each case of Flu per day, peoples perceptions of fear would be different. Again, I know this is different to flu, I am just using flu as an example.

If I purely take HIV as a sample. There are close to 40 million people with HIV in the world. You have a small chance of catching it if you have unprotected sex with someone who has it. Plenty of people still have unprotected sex, because the chances of catching it are quite low. Same as Covid19. The chances of catching it are quite low, even with relative exposure. Again, if they reported on cases of HIV around the globe per day, there would be great widespread panic that people could catch it. (Again, I know there are specific requirements to get HIV, but using this purely as an example)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

It means hospitalised.

No it means patients in this context

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Seems to me cases are likely to leak from now on instead of waiting for the evening presser.

The media seem to have discovered a pair of balls.

This is a good thing in my opinion.

Same as local areas cancelling their own parades.

The actual eejits "in charge" arent doing a thing so others have to fill in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

How was the plane journey?anyone cleaning seat trays or wiping down seats etc?any paranoid people on board?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

thebaz wrote: »
    They might as well have played the game now, given it was highly unlikely the 15 players would be infected , much more likely to be the 6,000 fans , that are coming anyway - bureacracy at its worst in my mind.

What do ye mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

1641 wrote: »
    I find some posters are the equivalent of the guy who rushes into the crowded cinema which is being orderly evacuated and shouts "FIRE,RUN NOW, BUT ITS TOO LATE - 20% OF YOU ARE GOING TO DIE ANYWAY, THE MANAGEMENT ARE ALL INCOMPETENT B*&^TARDS, THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU, ONLY I DO" !
    ...while the management are saying, "Yes, the building next door is on fire, but we'll be fine. We are monitoring the situation. Just enjoy the film."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Akabusi wrote: »
    Long distance runners are not in the best shape to fight viruses. Their bodies are often stressed from their training and they can lack the strength to fight of bad viruses.

Right. Not healthy people at all.

A lot of people trying to make themselves feel better like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Akabusi wrote: »

How we really going to debate how healthy an athlete can be compared to the average joe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't have enough free time right now to fully catch up but one post mentioned more cases in limerick. Are we at 15 now or what's the craic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

FB_IMG_1583404120195.jpg.65d7751365572f7f06e2dfce9956a08b.jpg

Shamelessly stolen from elsewhere. I had a good chuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Panrich

No it doesn't . Means hospitalised with symptoms.
    DIMESSI
    GUARITI means healed.

Hence not included in the 1777 total.

Breakdown is hospitalised, intensive care and domestic isolation. giving total actually positive.

The red and green = cases concluded . green = alive. red = dead/

I apologise. This is correct. I was an idiot who googled recoverati con sintomi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Its bizarre we are allowing Italian fans to travel here for a rugby game that doesn't exist. Truly bizarre. And demonstrates a completely shambolic approach to containing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The Irish Times
    Wed, Mar 4, 2020, 08:27 Updated: Wed, Mar 4, 2020, 15:52

Coronavirus: Harris warns surge could see some surgeries cancelled

‘We are nowhere near that at this stage,’ says Minister

My friend was contacted by phone late last night to say that her surgery at UHL this morning has been cancelled.

I think the Government need to get a new Health Minister, just lie and say Simon Harris is ill and can no longer perform the job and have someone with a semblance of credibility take over the job. Harris is clearly way in over his head and while I understand that he has no real governance over the health system, having him on tv/radio/SM talking and spluttering about it gives zero credibility to the health service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

He'll be home by sunday.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,352 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Pic or GTFO :pac:

Did think about taking one but was in a rush to get somewhere where I had 1.5m of space around me.....

Was coming through on Tuesday also but did not see it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've just come back from shopping in Lidl, and there was a young lad, 9 or 10, coughing all over the shop, in front of some of the fresh produce, with no handkerchief or even putting his hand over his mouth. Father seemingly oblivious.

When asked, he said, don't worry, it's just a cough :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I think the Government need to get a new Health Minister, just lie and say Simon Harris is ill and can no longer perform the job and have someone with a semblance of credibility take over the job. Harris is clearly way in over his head and while I understand that he has no real governance over the health system, having him on tv/radio/SM talking and spluttering about it gives zero credibility to the health service.

I have a seven year old nephew that would do a better job. I'm sure he's available.

Or find a passing donkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

What do ye mean?

Cancel the game , but still allow the 6,000 fans from effected region to come anyway. Whats the point in cancelling the game , when Temple bar instead will be wher the masses will congregate now.
    Nothing against Italians, but if we are serious in trying to contain spread, flights should be cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Craughwell case is hilarious sign of the incompetence. 6th class stay home but anyone else is cool to come to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Downlinz

The only proactive measure the officials have taken so far is to cancel a rugby game that is scheduled for this weekend.

It seems odd in hindsight how early and proactive Simon Harris was with making that cancellation. Almost as if they regarded that as a mistake and changed to a more laissez faire attitude after.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

No doubt posted already, but I see on BNO number of worldwide cases is now at 100,001 (with 3,405 deaths).

Easy to do the maths on that! Death rate of 3.4%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

thebaz wrote: »

Yes its a shambles. Laughable if it wasn't so serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭notuslimited

Last night I arrived from Frankfurt into T2 and the cabin crew announced that if anybody has concerns about the Coronavirus to contact the HSE staff in the baggage hall. 3 HSE staff were manning the desk in the arrivals hall.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement