Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Irish on the run in India after being brought to hospital over possible Corona virus infection

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/odisha-cuttack-coronavirus-patient-scb-hospital-1653024-2020-03-06

The Sun claims there are two people involved.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5173333/coronavirus-irish-suspected-coronavirus-hospital-isolation/amp/

Sounds like a bad Carry On plot tbh ...

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Echo Live.ie 06.03.2020

Patient spent days in emergency department before diagnosis

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Coronavirus-latest-Deadly-virus-in-Cork-Patient-spent-days-in-emergency-department-before-diagnosis--0608fdbd-7e91-4440-bccf-f182dd8b1d6a-ds

A PATIENT had spent a number of days in the emergency department before the diagnosis was made.
    The Cork man, aged in his 40s, became the first in the country to catch the infection through community transmission.

The patient had been taken to CUH by ambulance, complaining of pains in his head. He spent time in A&E before being discharged. He was readmitted in recent days and tested for the virus.

Unlike previous cases in Ireland, the man, aged in his 40s, had not travelled to northern Italy.

The patient was being cared for in an Intensive Care Unit last night.

(Hope the man is okay...seems they wasted days)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    How we really going to debate how healthy an athlete can be compared to the average joe?

I agree, and hence made the point to not think of them being a normal healthy person.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

How was the plane journey?anyone cleaning seat trays or wiping down seats etc?any paranoid people on board?

I've done this long before Corona, they are filthy dirty

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Alun wrote: »
    I've just come back from shopping in Lidl, and there was a young lad, 9 or 10, coughing all over the shop, in front of some of the fresh produce, with no handkerchief or even putting his hand over his mouth. Father seemingly oblivious.

When asked, he said, don't worry, it's just a cough :mad:

This isn't new.

My local post office is in a shop, and right beside the queue, the shop keeps it's uncovered cakes, muffins, etc.

I routinely see kids not just coughing but actually picking them up, and parents barely putting effort into telling them not too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Don't see anything relating to that.

Link?

No link. Someone I know who needs to be informed of this was given the update.

Rang the hospital myself and they confirmed that it's closed and no one entering except next of kin only and critically ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

thebaz wrote: »
    Cancel the game , but still allow the 6,000 fans from effected region to come anyway. Whats the point in cancelling the game , when Temple bar instead will be wher the masses will congregate now.
    Nothing against Italians, but if we are serious in trying to contain spread, flights should be cancelled.

Yeah but what do you mean by bureacracy at it's worst?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

gozunda wrote: »
    Irish on the run in India after been put in isolation over Corona virus

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/odisha-cuttack-coronavirus-patient-scb-hospital-1653024-2020-03-06

The Sun claims there are two people.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5173333/coronavirus-irish-suspected-coronavirus-hospital-isolation/amp/

Sounds like s bad Carry On plot tbh ...

Hopefully the Indian police find them. Muppets

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

Downlinz wrote: »
    It seems odd in hindsight how early and proactive Simon Harris was with making that cancellation. Almost as if they regarded that as a mistake and changed to a more laissez faire attitude after.

And all they did was brow beat the IRFU to cancel it, Western governments are completely paralysed in the face of this thing. We've committed a measly 45 million to tackling this thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

I think the Government need to get a new Health Minister, just lie and say Simon Harris is ill and can no longer perform the job and have someone with a semblance of credibility take over the job. Harris is clearly way in over his head and while I understand that he has no real governance over the health system, having him on tv/radio/SM talking and spluttering about it gives zero credibility to the health service.

Excellent suggestion. We had a GE because he would have lost the VoC. Who has the proven competence in the caretaker govt? Accountants would say Donohue but he would give the impression of measuring needed resources in a Scrooge like manner. It does need change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

deisedevil wrote: »
    No link. Someone I know who needs to be informed of this was given the update.

Rang the hospital myself and they confirmed that it's closed and no one entering except next of kin only and critically ill.

But that would mean Waterford, Limerick and Cork are on "lock down"? :confused:

And there are posters here who we are remotely equipped to deal with this???? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Akabusi wrote: »
    I agree, and hence made the point to not think of them being a normal healthy person.

Athlete = healthier than average person

no rocket science

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Lord TSC wrote: »
    This isn't new.

My local post office is in a shop, and right beside the queue, the shop keeps it's uncovered cakes, muffins, etc.

I routinely see kids not just coughing but actually picking them up, and parents barely putting effort into telling them not too.

Can't cope with cakes being left uncovered all over the place in small shops. It's rotten

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Beasty wrote: »
    Did think about taking one but was in a rush to get somewhere where I had 1.5m of space around me.....

Was coming through on Tuesday also but did not see it then.

I've also seen the African Swine Flue notices, they have been there for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Yeah but what do you mean by bureacracy at it's worst?

I've explained 2 times - Why cancel the rugby game , when the 6,000 fans from effected region are coming anyway - it was highly unlikely the 15 - 30 players themselves were the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

pwurple wrote: »
    Not everything is a stick to beat the government with either. We're not doing too badly with 13 cases, compared with other countries anyway.

Iceland is an example. Far smaller population (~360k people), more remote, they're up at 34 cases.

Switzerland, 8 million. 120 cases, and one death.

Norway, 5 million, pretty remote... 91 cases.

Those figures mean nothing with out the numbers of those tested in each country to compare. I'd be willing to bet that each of those countries have tested hundreds if not thousands more than we have here so the numbers are not comparable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

What are they doing at the airports/customs places where they need you to provide your fingerprints? Surely ripe for transmission..

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Two general comments - I haven't read every post and may just be echoing other people.

Someone posted a link to Chinese findings that X-rays show the virus causes permanent irreversible damage to lungs. Scary, but otoh my father caught TB in overcrowded 1940s Dublin and spent three years in Crooksling sanatorium as a young man (before antibiotics). He suffered permanent irreversible damage to his lungs.

He still lived (active and healthy until near the end) to the age of 89 (older hospital doctors regarded the crackling noises his breathing produced as a useful teaching aid for the young).

So don't despair.

Also a prediction - if the government, such as it is, get their act together and introduce serious containment measures, they'll release them after 8.00 on Saturday, to slow down the media response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

The worst thing that could have happened with Covid_19 here is to let it start in a hospital setting (outside isolation wards) Now staff will be affected, sick patients and visitors and it's the best breeding ground to spread across the community. Why hadn't we isolation in place from the airport - (Did I dream about people being bussed in Britain to the Wirral in the early days?) - I know containment is difficult but it's the most controllable phase of any pandemic and Ireland, it's (leaders) and the HSE have dropped the ball here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Athlete = healthier than average person

no rocket science

Fitter does not equal healthier.

From joint wear to physical injury to inflammatory wear all are part and parcel of any athletic endeavour and all are an impact on health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 boars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I've explained 2 times - Why cancel the rugby game , when the 6,000 fans from effected region are coming anyway - it was highly unlikely the players themselves were the problem.

Yeah but what does bureacracy have to do with either of those decisions?

You know there are 60 million folk in italy, mostly unaffected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

I've explained 2 times - Why cancel the rugby game , when the 6,000 fans from effected region are coming anyway - it was highly unlikely the players themselves were the problem.

The problem isn’t the cancellation, it’s the lack of follow up to actively discourage travel from Northern Italy and enforce self isolation on all coming home from that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Not many people would go for that option. Would you?

The exponential growth in air and international travel is largely related to cheap fares.

Containment and delay means making it difficult for people to travel to and from a highly infected region.

And if they do travel and return without reporting it to authorities, they should be forcefully isolated.

Its time to stop messing around with this. The Chinese got on top of it eventually by being ruthless. Being nice won't cut it in this case.

And like that medical professional, you are not understanding this.

If flights from Italy were stopped then those who wanted to travel would simply hop on a train and use any number of alternative airports within very easy traveling distance.

So stop flights from Italy and all those would simply get flights from other airports. Even Munich airport is just 5 hours away by train.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I think the Government need to get a new Health Minister, just lie and say Simon Harris is ill and can no longer perform the job and have someone with a semblance of credibility take over the job. Harris is clearly way in over his head and while I understand that he has no real governance over the health system, having him on tv/radio/SM talking and spluttering about it gives zero credibility to the health service.
    KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Excellent suggestion. We had a GE because he would have lost the VoC. Who has the proven competence in the caretaker govt? Accountants would say Donohue but he would give the impression of measuring needed resources in a Scrooge like manner. It does need change.

Richard Bruton all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I hate the way every hse briefing includes the words "we are not really surprised by this".

Can't cope with cakes being left uncovered all over the place in small shops. It's rotten

Cakes are routinely left exposed in shops big and small. In fact I don’t know any retail outlet where they are covered, with exception of coffee shops like m&s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Cancel the game , but still allow the 6,000 fans from effected region to come anyway. Whats the point in cancelling the game , when Temple bar instead will be wher the masses will congregate now.
    Nothing against Italians, but if we are serious in trying to contain spread, flights should be cancelled.

Might be something to do with Ryanair being one of the largest companies on the ISEQ index and this crisis would mean financial ruin for quite a few companies when the contagion spreads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Your example is not great.

Buying enough toilet roll for a couple of weeks is logical. Buying enough to last a year or so is not. Also arguably the greatest invention is the modern sewerage system so we no longer live in our own ****.

Toilet roll is a part of that system and we would be a lot unhealthier without it.

Have to agree. Some people cannot differentiate between making sensible provisions given what we know and panic buying over 6 months of supplies.

They are two entirely separate things and should be not labeled the same.

Funny enough it's the people that have this attitude who will be the biggest panickers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement