Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,528 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    When do orals start? They might need to consider Skype FaceTime online alternatives; if would save examiners travelling from school to school too.

More than likely extend the school year.

I wonder are they waiting for a confirmed infection rate to hit a certain threshold before closing them or are they just playing it by ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

That's no laughing matter. And they might have caught the Corona virus too.

Was Blindboy wearing the Centra plastic bag over his head? He should be ok then.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've seen this argument over and over.
    Simple, bring them home but straight into quarantine until it can be verified they are clear or not.

Not everyone on the flight will be coming home.. Some will be visiting. How do you isolate them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

thebaz wrote: »
    For the 5th time - Why were flights , bar emergency, allowed fly in from effected region, if we are trying to control the spread - Thats it - not explaining it again.

Okey dokey, I guess we just have a different understanding of what bureaucracy at its worst means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 industry accountant

ixoy wrote: »
    Not everyone on the flight will be coming home.. Some will be visiting. How do you isolate them?

If they chose to come from an infected area feck them into quarantine too. Enough of this pussy footing around crap. We nneded to protect ourselves, not worry about "Oh whatever will we do with the visitors".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I've seen this argument over and over.
    Simple, bring them home but straight into quarantine until it can be verified they are clear or not.
    Don't let them in to wander freely, going to work/school etc.
    This is common sense stuff :confused:
    It would make more sense to not allow them onto the plane in the first place until they produce a certificate that they were tested for the virus in the previous 12 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

Boggles wrote: »
    More than likely extend the school year.

I wonder are they waiting for a confirmed infection rate to hit a certain threshold before closing them or are they just playing it by ear.

Duding from talking to my brother who works in a Gov Department.

They are doing jack **** and just wanting for the EU to do something instead of taking precautionary action ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

MOR316 wrote: »
    Not arsed working. Keep hitting F5 reading this thread

Google image search Atari breakout and you will never work again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭celt262

ixoy wrote: »

Do the same with the visitors that will make up there mind for them if they want to travel or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

If they chose to come from an infected area feck them into quarantine too. Enough of this pussy footing around crap. We nneded to protect ourselves, not worry about "Oh whatever will we do with the visitors".

Do they quarantine at your house or mine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its too late now. That was what should have been done at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Okay, so two things.

I was thinking this morning that my whole family had this woejus cough over Christmas/start of January. Loads of people in work had it too. Two colleagues were told they had viral bronchitis, and had to take three weeks off work, or the doctor warned them it could turn into pneumonia. Having had it, it was really difficult to shake, and I deffo got a temperature on and off for a few days. My husband had to go and steroids.

Is there any chance that could have been the coronavirus? I'm guessing, unless we had a spike in pneumonia deaths, it couldn't possibly have been?

Secondly, I think we're all focusing on "oh Trinity has it" and "oh CUH is on lockdown" or whatever. At this stage, honestly we're way past containment. What I want to focus on now is how to prevent my elderly parents from getting it. Apart for the normal advice i.e. wash hands and avoid crowds, what advice would you be giving them right now? Should I be advising them to stay at home and get the groceries delivered? Stay away from cafe's/shops? They mind my kids on a Friday - should I be looking for alternative arrangements, just for a few weeks? I want to try to get ahead of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Have Aer Lingus not cancelled all Flights to/from Northern Italy ?
    I know that Ryanair fly too but it does reduce the numbers.

So, now we have UHL, CUH, Waterford and Navan on lockdown ?

Was in Tesco this morning after the school run. It was like the few days before Christmas. Very full trolleys, long lines, but no shortages of anything bar anti-bacterial stuff. In fact it looked like they had massive deliveries this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

MOR316 wrote: »
    Not arsed working. Keep hitting F5 reading this thread

My F5 key is f**ked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

You are understanding it less.

I will ask for the umpteenth time - if the flights bringing Italian rugby fans to a game that doesn't exist were cancelled, would the same fans hop on a train in Italy all the way to Germany, France etc and then hop on a plane, to travel to a game that doesn't exist?

The same goes for St Patricks day by the way.

We are and I include you in this encouraging and facilitating easy and cheap travel from highly infected areas.

Easy and cheap are the optimal words here. The cheaper and easier something is, the more people use it. You know this right?

I think you wasting ur time, some people are just too thick and stubborn.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Echo Live.ie 06.03.2020

Patient spent days in emergency department before diagnosis

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Coronavirus-latest-Deadly-virus-in-Cork-Patient-spent-days-in-emergency-department-before-diagnosis--0608fdbd-7e91-4440-bccf-f182dd8b1d6a-ds

A PATIENT had spent a number of days in the emergency department before the diagnosis was made.
    The Cork man, aged in his 40s, became the first in the country to catch the infection through community transmission.

The patient had been taken to CUH by ambulance, complaining of pains in his head. He spent time in A&E before being discharged. He was readmitted in recent days and tested for the virus.

Unlike previous cases in Ireland, the man, aged in his 40s, had not travelled to northern Italy.

The patient was being cared for in an Intensive Care Unit last night.

(Hope the man is okay...seems they wasted days)

Does anyone see similarity here between Italian case which i believe led to the infection in a number of medical professionals and elderly patients in a hospital. I havent looked at the French cases too closely but believe something similar may have occurred - our tight approach to testing surely caused delay in this diagnosis; how is this containment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

leahyl wrote: »
    Long before this corona virus, my mother has thought this was the most unhygienic thing ever - she saw a child in Dunnes one day with their paws all over the cakes and pastries - she said it to a manager that they really should be covered in cling film or something - sure nothing was done. They continue to be displayed out in the open with no cover - although a few of them are up higher now so kids can't get their hands on them, but everybody is breathing on them anyway. Can't understand myself why this is allowed by the FSA.
    It's horrible. At least in supermarkets there is a quick turnover. In small shops they can be right beside the queue all day and loads of people are passing and sniffing and coughing. Rotten.

Your mother is dead right

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wonder will they close the schools next week or wait until the week after?

My take is that there's, I think, three weeks till Easter.

And there's a long weekend in there too, due to Patricks Day.

So I have a feeling they'll get to mid next week and shut the schools down. And say "It's two weeks till Easter, and ye were getting some of that off anyway, so now we're having a month long Easter holiday."

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Removalist

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Have Aer Lingus not cancelled all Flights to/from Northern Italy ?
    I know that Ryanair fly too but it does reduce the numbers.

So, now we have UHL, CUH, Waterford and Navan on lockdown ?

Was in Tesco this morning after the school run. It was like the few days before Christmas. Very full trolleys, long lines, but no shortages of anything bar anti-bacterial stuff. In fact it looked like they had massive deliveries this morning.

Some flights have been cancelled the vast majority are still on. As of last night anyway. Not sure if theyve updated today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Lord TSC wrote: »
    My take is that there's, I think, three weeks till Easter.

And there's a long weekend in there too, due to Patricks Day.

So I have a feeling they'll get to mid next week and shut the schools down. And say "It's two weeks till Easter, and ye were getting some of that off anyway, so now we're having a month long Easter holiday."

Not much help considering 3rd level won't be getting an Easter break tho?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

WHERE DOES BUREAUCRACY COME INTO IT?

What is bureaucratic about the decisions made?

bureaucratic

over-concerned with procedure at the expense of efficiency or common sense.
    "the scheme is overly bureaucratic and complex"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

tromtipp wrote: »
    Two general comments - I haven't read every post and may just be echoing other people.

Someone posted a link to Chinese findings that X-rays show the virus causes permanent irreversible damage to lungs. Scary, but otoh my father caught TB in overcrowded 1940s Dublin and spent three years in Crooksling sanatorium as a young man (before antibiotics). He suffered permanent irreversible damage to his lungs.

He still lived (active and healthy until near the end) to the age of 89 (older hospital doctors regarded the crackling noises his breathing produced as a useful teaching aid for the young).

So don't despair.

Also a prediction - if the government, such as it is, get their act together and introduce serious containment measures, they'll release them after 8.00 on Saturday, to slow down the media response.

Pneumonia leaves permanent scars to the lungs, it's nothing new
    and unfortunately Covid gives pneumonia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

iguana wrote: »
    I know but I'm a woman.:P

Am, excuse me, haven’t you heard that some women have penises? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

JDD wrote: »
    Okay, so two things.

I was thinking this morning that my whole family had this woejus cough over Christmas/start of January. Loads of people in work had it too. Two colleagues were told they had viral bronchitis, and had to take three weeks off work, or the doctor warned them it could turn into pneumonia. Having had it, it was really difficult to shake, and I deffo got a temperature on and off for a few days. My husband had to go and steroids.

Is there any chance that could have been the coronavirus? I'm guessing, unless we had a spike in pneumonia deaths, it couldn't possibly have been?

Secondly, I think we're all focusing on "oh Trinity has it" and "oh CUH is on lockdown" or whatever. At this stage, honestly we're way past containment. What I want to focus on now is how to prevent my elderly parents from getting it. Apart for the normal advice i.e. wash hands and avoid crowds, what advice would you be giving them right now? Should I be advising them to stay at home and get the groceries delivered? Stay away from cafe's/shops? They mind my kids on a Friday - should I be looking for alternative arrangements, just for a few weeks? I want to try to get ahead of this.

Definitely not, remember Wuhan only started identifying cases in early January, there is no possible way it was in the general Irish population around Christmas or we'd have about 200k cases by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Pneumonia leaves permanent scars to the lungs, it's nothing new
    and unfortunately Covid gives pneumonia

in 13.8% of cases it can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Malaysia reports 28 new cases, brings total to 83

ESa9nthUUAc6QRW?format=jpg&name=small

No obvious source for the vast majority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,638 ✭✭✭✭fits

I HATE this thread.

F5

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wonder will they close the schools....the week after?

If they are still (playing) at containment, that's way too late! Door and horse bolted and all that!

I think the virus is probably already rampant. People just don't know it/realise it (yet)!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

celt262 wrote: »
    Do the same with the visitors that will make up there mind for them if they want to travel or not.
    You can't enforce that. Better to ground the flights than ask people to quarantine, especially visitors who are over to enjoy themselves.
    For Irish returning home, perhaps via other avenues, ask them to quarantine. Of course they could pass any infection into other countries they pass through which is one of the complications here. So France, for example, might not take kindly to everyone from Italy going to their airports to fly home to other European countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

DOCARCH wrote: »
    If they are still (playing) at containment, that's way too late! Door and horse bolted and all that!

I think the virus is probably already rampant. People just don't know it/realise it (yet)!

In Craughwell they closed on 6th class. Not any other class.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement