Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭Nermal

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    I think you wasting ur time, some people are just too thick and stubborn.

No point in seriously damaging our economy for what will only be very marginal gains in safety. Life is risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Hearing people were exposed at a recording of the Blindboy podcast in Clare last weekend. A dreadfully unfunny evening all round for the audience.
    Maybe blindboy knew about this thing for years that would explain why he was going around with a spar bag over his head!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

fits wrote: »
    I HATE this thread.

F5

most addictive thread ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,528 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

DOCARCH wrote: »
    If they are still (playing) at containment, that's way too late! Door and horse bolted and all that!

I think the virus is probably already rampant. People just don't know it/realise it (yet)!

Closing the schools is to prevent spread, phase 2, delay.

Rampant would be 1000+ of cases, we are nowhere near that yet I imagine.

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Pneumonia leaves permanent scars to the lungs, it's nothing new
    and unfortunately Covid gives pneumonia

First of all, not all pneumonia leaves permanent scarring.

Secondly, COVID-19 infection does not necessarily mean you are going to get viral pneumonia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

It's crazy to think that this day last week we had no confirmed cases. It going to get out of control because of HSE incompetence and relaxed attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭amber2

DOCARCH wrote: »
    If they are still (playing) at containment, that's way too late! Door and horse bolted and all that!

I think the virus is probably already rampant. People just don't know it/realise it (yet)!

Agreed think with CUH A&E department compromised over a period of days Cork should be a red zone at this stage, no matter what the figures are now they are only going to go one way & quickly.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Have Aer Lingus not cancelled all Flights to/from Northern Italy ?
    I know that Ryanair fly too but it does reduce the numbers.

So, now we have UHL, CUH, Waterford and Navan on lockdown ?

Was in Tesco this morning after the school run. It was like the few days before Christmas. Very full trolleys, long lines, but no shortages of anything bar anti-bacterial stuff. In fact it looked like they had massive deliveries this morning.
    Aerlingus have cancelled some flights only to Italy.
    I have flights to Verona booked in April not cancelled yet but be shocked if they aren't (not that I would go anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

ixoy wrote: »
    You can't enforce that. Better to ground the flights than ask people to quarantine, especially visitors who are over to enjoy themselves.
    For Irish returning home, perhaps via other avenues, ask them to quarantine. Of course they could pass any infection into other countries they pass through which is one of the complications here. So France, for example, might not take kindly to everyone from Italy going to their airports to fly home to other European countries.

But you would gladly accept flights from France despite the outbreak in North/East France?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I might not have a job in a few weeks if things get worse. I recently changed jobs and the company is expecting a downturn. I'm only new in the job so we all know how things go, last in, first out, unless I don't get the virus and actually able to work.

• Advertisement

First of all, not all pneumonia leaves permanent scarring.

Secondly, COVID-19 infection does not necessarily mean you are going to get viral pneumonia.
    Agreed.

I had atypical viral pneumonia when I was 19 no permanent scarring on lungs after.

What percentage are likely to get pneumonia?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Dont know if it has been mentioned yet, but one suspected case in company in galway and all staff directed to be sent home.
    Also one in ClareGalway.
    My company now taking action. Work from home for 2 weeks by the looks of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

gmisk wrote: »
    Agreed.

I had atypical viral pneumonia when I was 19 no permanent scarring on lungs after.

What percentage are likely to get pneumonia?

13.8% (+4.7% who go on to be critical)

Boggles wrote: »
    Closing the schools is to prevent spread, phase 2, delay.

Rampant would be 1000+ of cases, we are nowhere near that yet I imagine.

Are we in phase 2 (delay) yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

You are understanding it less.

I will ask for the umpteenth time - if the flights bringing Italian rugby fans to a game that doesn't exist were cancelled, would the same fans hop on a train in Italy all the way to Germany, France etc and then hop on a plane, to travel to a game that doesn't exist?

The same goes for St Patricks day by the way.

We are and I include you in this encouraging and facilitating easy and cheap travel from highly infected areas.

Easy and cheap are the optimal words here. The cheaper and easier something is, the more people use it. You know this right?

People travel from Italy every day of the year.
    It is cheap and easy to get a train to numerous airports, so stopping flights just causes more chaos as you are pushing people into other airports and flights from non affect areas and that gives you zero control.

Several Irish companies have operation in Italy, several Italian companies have operations here. There are thousands of Irish people living there.

Its a hop skip jump to get to an alternative low cost airport.

In parts of northern Italy the easiest airport for you to travel from is in another country. Innsbruck airport is less than 30 minutes from the Italian border and has direct flights to Ireland.

Nice airport is similar distance - maybe even shorter.

Ljubijana airport is just over an hour to the Italian border.

I'm an hour from Dublin airport!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Positive to hear on the news that the Nursing homes are restricting visitor access.
    I know my OH works in a nursing home setting and has advised very strict staff H&S protocols introduced - ie not sanitising hands when entering leaving rooms is a disciplinary offence. We really need to insulate these settings

Pretty concerning how quick this has gotten into our hospitals in the south west of the country (UHL/UHC).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

No we're still in phase 1 - denial

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭notuslimited

Removalist wrote: »
    My other half works in Dublin airport, aerlingus flights from Venice and Milan that would normally be full are arriving with 20-30 people on board. Same with the Frankfurt flights.

64 pax on last night’s Aer Lingus flight from Frankfurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,528 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No.

Soon though I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Talking to people in retail around the country this morning. Shops are much busier than usual, rice, pasta etc running low in some places.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Can't cope with cakes being left uncovered all over the place in small shops. It's rotten

Yeah, that is revolting in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

There was a marathon runner in Italy in intensive car. Just because you are healthy doesn't guarantee anything.

You are less likely to die or suffer severely if you are young. Doesn't mean that nobody young or healthy will suffer.

You can be one of the very small number. I wouldn't be too complacent

The guy in Italy had very clear symptoms but decided to run a marathon while not being able to and as a result the virus hit him hard. If he had sense and stayed at home and went to a doctor instead of the stupid 'nothing will stop me' attitude then he most likely would have made a full and quick recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Maybe it is not another case? maybe just a precaution?

64 pax on last night’s Aer Lingus flight from Frankfurt.

sorry, whats 'pax?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

JDD wrote: »
    Is there any chance that could have been the coronavirus? I'm guessing, unless we had a spike in pneumonia deaths, it couldn't possibly have been?
    It's easy to think this, but the reality is that doctors do take swabs and blood tests and all the rest from critically ill patients, in order to find out what they're dealing with.

A GP sending someone home because they "probably" have the 'flu is fine. But when they're lying in a hospital bed and their condition is getting worse, doctors need to know what they're fighting in order to win, so they get tests done.

So if this had been around before now, one of those lab tests would have picked it up already.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

RugbyLad11 wrote: »

Think we all know in our hearts of hearts - it’s another case

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Social media will push people into a leper mentality where they will not admit it when they contract Covid19. They might self isolate but probably not for 2 weeks solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

So just to piece together the information, in terms of hospitals we now have restrictions in is 4? Mercy University Hospital Cork (which, as a big Dub, I'm not sure is different to CUH?); Cork University Hospital, Navan Hospital and University Hospital Limerick.

Any others?

That's already a lot of capacity taken out of the hospital system, 13 confirmed cases in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

It's crazy to think that this day last week we had no confirmed cases. It going to get out of control because of HSE incompetence and relaxed attitude.

Ones things for sure, if/when this blows over the next government are going to have to start investing a lot more and sorting out our health care system, I don't care how well the economy is doing or how much profits large multinationals make, I do care about a functioning health care system and this could be the straw that broke the camels back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Agreed and a sensible precaution if it is

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement