Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm going for double digit increase in cases this evening - be surprised if it did not follow the trend of other countries.

Supposedly up to 400 tested in Cork alone yesterday, between Cork, Limerick and Dublin we could hit triple digits soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

JDD wrote: »
    Okay, so two things.

I was thinking this morning that my whole family had this woejus cough over Christmas/start of January. Loads of people in work had it too. Two colleagues were told they had viral bronchitis, and had to take three weeks off work, or the doctor warned them it could turn into pneumonia. Having had it, it was really difficult to shake, and I deffo got a temperature on and off for a few days. My husband had to go and steroids.

Is there any chance that could have been the coronavirus? I'm guessing, unless we had a spike in pneumonia deaths, it couldn't possibly have been?

I had viral bronchitis in the week leading up to Chinese year, when this all started. I still went to work (40 people) and had a new year party at home (20 different people), and didn't make anyone else sick. It settled down just as the **** hit the fan in China. So I'd be inclined to say you didn't have it, but who knows. Seems a lot of people were sick in December/January.

I live in China and I smoke, plus the pollution is woeful in January, so I'm putting it down to that. If it had of happened a week later I'd have been straight to the hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

bunderoon wrote: »
    Dont know if it has been mentioned yet, but one suspected case in company in galway and all staff directed to be sent home.
    Also one in ClareGalway.
    My company now taking action. Work from home for 2 weeks by the looks of it...

Word now going around, 3 suspected cases/possible contact with cases in my company in Galway, people involved sent home. Business as usual, just meetings cancelled...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

People slow the fcuk down with the posts, why is people typing so fastly.

It's a viral thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Watch "contagious" instead,its harrowing how close to whats happening now the movie is

It's not close to what happening now and therefore not in the least harrowing.

Otherwise great post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The majority of 3rd level colleges have an Easter break. All the IoTs, UCC, TU Dublin, etc. take two weeks. Some such as UL, NUIG etc. take one week.

I'm in UL, there's a reading week in week 12.
    So no lectures but near constant on campus study, library and group meetings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

It's a viral thread.

Fcking hell, half a million views in little over 24 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I'm going for double digit increase in cases this evening - be surprised if it did not follow the trend of other countries.

Is there a graph for countries showing increases on a day one, day two, etc, timeline rather than with dates? So all countries start with day one for their first confirmed case and then we can see how their cases increased alongside each other?

I hope I explained what I’m looking for okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Urquell

To those talking about Galway companies...are ye in IT ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,255 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

gozunda wrote: »
    The Irish hospital system will be rendered unusable if this continues.

Lack of infection control and protocols means that it will be in increasingly difficult for people to access critical care and other hospital services.

Depending on the same system which results in significant queues in A&E and lack of resources is a disaster in the making.

It is too easy to blame the HSE, the hospitals and the government.

People have been told to take their own responsibility. If you have symptoms, call the helpline, get the doctors to come to you. If, as now seems to have happened, you turn up at A&E or the hospital with symptoms and put everyone around you into self-isolation, that isn't on the HSE, or Simon Harris, that is on the Irish culture of doing what you think is best rather than listening to the expert advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

Whenever I read this thread, I keep feeling I've got symptoms of Covid19!
    Crazy the way my brain works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

The guardian seems to be obsessed with reporting on what is happening in other countries rather than the U.K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

seamus wrote: »
    So if this had been around before now, one of those lab tests would have picked it up already.

But did they know and recognise the signature of this new virus then? You hear of people being tested for this, that & the other. And only months, years later - actually being correctly diagnosed as the original tests didn't cover that possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Trinity opening as normal tomorrow. The building where the infected person was is going to get partially cleaned.

By the regular campus cleaners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Daz_ wrote: »
    Might watch World War z this evening to ramp up the tension :)

Watch "Contagion" Matt Damon and Kate winslett. Good movie and topical. I even learned what an Ro number is

(Obviously much more serious than covid outbreak)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Canonfan View Post
    Sorry no link but it is 100% confirmed because I have a lot of Chinese friends and this is shared by WECHAT( Chinese chatting software).

...............................................................................................

The Popehimself
    Thank you for getting back.

Would you happen to have any details? Has it been confirmed, even in the chat, that there is a suspected case/ is there someone with symptoms/ are people being tested? How many businesses are closed?

Is Golden beach supermarket closed at Number 137?

Any update appreciated.

..........................................................................................

No Need. I just confirmed it myself. No customers allowed. Several Closed.

Are you getting that it is a confirmed case? (That is what I am getting)

If so, that is the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Is there a dedicated helpline for anyone worried about symptoms ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

blanch152 wrote: »
    Does Italy have a superior health system?

I wouldn't be certain of that.

Italy has a National Healthcare Service and GP visits are free.

Ratings can be calculated in different ways and that is not really the point here.

What counts in the coronavirus crisis however is beds in intensive care.
    study from 2012: The variability of critical care bed numbers in Europe

https://link.springer.com/article/10...134-012-2627-8

134_2012_2627_Fig1_HTML.gif?as=webp

People have been told to take their own responsibility. If you have symptoms, call the helpline, get the doctors to come to you. If, as now seems to have happened, you turn up at A&E or the hospital with symptoms and put everyone around you into self-isolation, that isn't on the HSE, or Simon Harris, that is on the Irish culture of doing what you think is best rather than listening to the expert advice.

This is the prisoner's dilemmea, but with 4 million prisoners.

It doesn't matter if you and everyone in your office take precautions if Mike comes back from his skiing holiday and decides to struggle though the worsening dose of flu he seemed to picked up from somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Was talking to a Chinese chef in Dublin today. he says lots of the Asian restaurants in Parnell Street are going to close for the next few days , they are scared about the influx of Italians and are taking no risks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,255 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

JDD wrote: »
    What I want to focus on now is how to prevent my elderly parents from getting it. Apart for the normal advice i.e. wash hands and avoid crowds, what advice would you be giving them right now? Should I be advising them to stay at home and get the groceries delivered? Stay away from cafe's/shops? They mind my kids on a Friday - should I be looking for alternative arrangements, just for a few weeks? I want to try to get ahead of this.

That is the advice I have given mine. Whether they are sensible enough to take it is another question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

UsBus wrote: »
    Word now going around, 3 suspected cases/possible contact with cases in my company in Galway, people involved sent home. Business as usual, just meetings cancelled...

Economy will sink if everyone is sent home from various companies. It'll be like Ophelia or Emma but not a one or two day wonder, no one knows when it'll be back to normal. This will impact hard over the next week's financially. There must be a risk of certain foodstuffs going short supply soon, or more likely in the long term if this continues and worsens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

embraer170 wrote: »
    It seems that most European countries have now accepted that that this cannot be contained and believe that a substantial % of the population (be it 15% or 70%) will be contaminated in the next year or so.

Just so everyone's aware and you remind yourself in two weeks and a month: the World Health Organisation call this "A BIG MISTAKE".

(Capitalisation mine)

The gist is that no matter how inevitable an epidemic in your country is you are going to need time to procure resources and there will be a natural learning phase for all staff at all levels. It is better to treat it like it can be stopped to buy some time at the very least. It's better to find your feet in a little less difficult environment.

What countries do is they treat it like it can't be stopped, then when they are presented with the disastrous results 3 weeks later they realise the error of their ways and think 'oh we have to try containment' and voila, all schools and universities closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

ICU capacity incredibly important on the death count. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Phone your GP is the best advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Yes it’s on Hse website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

"Expert advice" told Dr. Virus to work away exposing people to his own disease so yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭Cody montana

This thread was only started yesterday!

• Advertisement

Was talking to a Chinese chef in Dublin today. he says lots of the Asian restaurants in Parnell Street are going to close for the next few days , they are scared about the influx of Italians and are taking no risks.

Soon China will have to start blocking European immigration due to the infection risk they pose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement