Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

We all know where this is heading.

I will be conservative and go for 10 new cases announced this evening (most before that)

Oh dear. I really hope it doesn't hit any of the nursing homes :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

There has been 148 deaths in Italy in the past few weeks. This is way worse than the flu.

24K deaths from flu in Italy 2016/2017. It may be worse than the flu in terms of mortality rates but the flu kills on a mass scale that we are all prepared to live with panic free.

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(19)30328-5/fulltext

The hospitals can’t cope with so many becoming critically ill all at once, they are trying to stagger out the infection, so as we can sort of take turns at getting it.

Hey stranger! Where you been hiding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Two suspects in assault in London are 15 & 16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Isolation helps

Christ i looked at that anatomies gallery, give me the virus anyday

What sparking up big bowls of animal dung doesn't appeal to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭quokula

There has been 148 deaths in Italy in the past few weeks. This is way worse than the flu.

And there are up to 25 thousand flu related deaths in Italy per year.

It's not the same as flu, it's different and there are more potential unknowns, but people really need to get some perspective on how small the numbers they quote actually are on an international scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    If you show sympthoms, get the netflix out, self isolate and follow the advice of the HSE. Unless a flu would kill you, this won't either.

It's not the zombie apocalypse ffs.

Netflix and chills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

amber2 wrote: »
    Apologies Drumpot wasn’t a jibe at your suggestion which would be helpful just more a jibe at how we are being drip fed information that’s sometimes so out of date, yesterday’s Cork case was on the evening Echo 5 hours prior never mind the WhatsApp messages hours before that.

I should not of said that, I apologize, I’m just frustrated reading so many panicked posts. Of what I feel I’ve learned since January , a lot of what’s happening happens during an outbreak. Mistakes will happen and it will be scary for awhile But if you communicate properly and get your population on board with what you are doing you stand a much better chance of reducing the impact. I feel that knowing this gives me hope we can still manage people’s reactions if we just put a bit of resources into how we are educating them.

I’ve been saying for weeks that our authority’s need to better communicate and educate our population and I’m a nobody when it comes to Knowledge on epidemics. You don’t have to of been prophetic to see this coming but anybody with a knowledge in this field should of been banging the drum a lot sooner on this. That HSE press conference yesterday should of been last week or the week before. They actually could of managed the narrative before things got this serious.

It’s not too late to start better communication. Not necessarily more conferences but reaching out to people on boards and Facebook and YouTube with Popilar Q&As. I just think we aren’t going to stop people reading crap and lies so it is better if our authorities are being more pro active to clear stuff up quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

dan786 wrote: »
    BBC has reported that two British Airways staff have tested positive for coronavirus.

It said they are both in isolation and recovering at home.

Nine people have died from coronavirus in France.

There are now 577 confirmed cases, 154 more than yesterday.

The absolute c*nts at British Airways won't refund my friend's tickets for her honeymoon in Japan. She wants to cancel but if she does so, she'll lose all the money she paid, in addition to losing her annual leave and having her honeymoon wrecked.

What a vile company they are. Staff members testing positive and they're still forcing to people to fly or lose all their money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Isolation helps

Christ i looked at that anatomies gallery, give me the virus anyday

Didn't notice that gallery... I made it 5 pics in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,976 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Scotty # wrote: »
    The flu kills between 300k and 600k every year. 18k in the US in 2019 alone. No headlines.

How is corona virus worse? Genuine question. Do you think COVID-19 will have a higher death toll?

Well actually we do have headlines here about flu season and the strain it puts on the health service and triggering of 'trolley crisis'.
    Especially if there is a strain of flu which wasn't in the vaccine.

If flu was a new disease, it would make the headlines.
    New always gets priority in headlines over someone we've "factored" in.

I think COVID-19 has the potential to have a higher death toll but with certain caveats:
    * I'm not convinced deaths from it will be reported accurately globally
    * Countries can take measures to significantly reduce the death toll as we have seen in China and Singapore

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I have just phoned. They have been asked to shut for 3 days.

Who asked them to shut down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

100k cases.

3410 deaths.

The maths are there alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

quokula wrote: »
    And there are up to 25 thousand flu related deaths in Italy per year.

It's not the same as flu, it's different and there are more potential unknowns, but people really need to get some perspective on how small the numbers they quote actually are on an international scale.
    One of the issues is it seems more infective and has a higher fatality rate. The numbers are smaller now because it's new. The flu is not. Hopefully the numbers stay smaller but right not COVID-19 is a more fatal and more infective virus that then flu.

John Hopkins University saying the number of cases has passed 100,000 with 3,398 deaths. So a death rate percentage (of known cases) of 3.4%. Whats the betting though with asymptomatic cases/unreported cases that there might be nearer 500,000 infected currently with a correspondingly lower death rate?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

fr336 wrote: »
    Would you be happen to be in the 20-40 bracket by any chance? Maybe we should reduce it to 20-30, evolution previously found over 30s useless and wanted rid of them.
    Nope 50-60 bracket. And again a good example of myths in action. Contrary to popular belief, people didn't die in their thirties in the past. Outside of times when waves of plagues were in fashion the longevity stats were heavily skewed by the appalling childhood mortality rates. For most of human history most people could expect to see 60 or 70 once they survived childhood and adolescence. Remember the Sermon on the Mount story? "The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years", so 70 and 80 years of age. This was aimed at a first century audience of mostly peasants.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

DrumSteve wrote: »
    100k cases.

3410 deaths.

The maths are there alright...

I don't know how the maths can be relied on there is thousands me included who won't be going to any doctor or reporting anything if we came down with a flu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Anyone know the estimate date that the Clare doctor arrived back from Italy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

joe_99 wrote: »
    24K deaths from flu in Italy 2016/2017. It may be worse than the flu in terms of mortality rates but the flu kills on a mass scale that we are all prepared to live with panic free.

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(19)30328-5/fulltext

24,000 deaths over 1 year
    150 deaths over 1 week while the virus is still spreading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

The flu kills between 300k and 600k every year. 18k in the US in 2019 alone. No headlines.

How is corona virus worse? Genuine question. Do you think COVID-19 will have a higher death toll?

Yes - if we do not do what China did.
    In my non-virologist opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Is talking about this or reports of the numbers panicking?

I am not really seeing this crazy hysteria or panic. Most people are sounding sensible enough about it. There is some panic but not much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Wibbs wrote: »
    So what? Other than over prescription of antibiotics in young kids, one of the big reasons for more and more walking around chuffing inhalers allergic to their own shadows is down to too damned many clean freak OCD parents covering their little darlings and their surroundings in dettol. Christ, I know one eejit who has to wear ickle gloves to put petrol in his car in case of "germs". Live a little FFS.

Aaaah, covering pastries in shops is not going to doom people’s immune systems. That’s taking “A bit of dirt is good for you” too far. It’s just plain unappetising more than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Speak Now wrote: »
    Currently on same mark as this time last Monday.

it looks like things will drop lower than last weeks drop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Has your head being in the sand for the last few months? It's common knowledge that COVID-19 has a much higher death rather than the flu
    Pardon my ignorance while I bow to your COVID-19 expertise. I have to admit I don't know very much about either virus knor do I understand the mass hysteria.

Looking at the figures...
    Covid19 - 3% death rate
    Influenza - 0.05% death rate

So C19 has a 6x higher death rate. But aren't you... I dunno... 1000x more likely to contract the flu? Making it a far far higher threat to your health than C19? No?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

One thing to consider is you can be vaccinated for flu (if you choose to/want to) whereas you can't be vaccinated for Covid-19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I don't know how the maths can be relied on there is thousands me included who won't be going to any doctor or reporting anything if we came down with a flu.

Its a free phone number, all you have to do is call.

Oddly enough if there were 500000 cases and the deaths remained the same amount; you're left with SK's figures (.6% cfr).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Huh?
    If living a little to you is chomping on a manky cake, go for it.

Indeed. Eating a snotty cake is living?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

dan786 wrote: »
    BBC has reported that two British Airways staff have tested positive for coronavirus.

It said they are both in isolation and recovering at home.

Nine people have died from coronavirus in France.

There are now 577 confirmed cases, 154 more than yesterday.

France takes the lead over Germany.

Until this evening.

When German figures are finalised for today it is going to be appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Pardon my ignorance while I bow to your COVID-19 expertise. I have to admit I don't know very much about either virus knor do I understand the mass hysteria.

Looking at the figures...
    Covid19 - 3% death rate
    Influenza - 0.05% death rate

So C19 has a 6x higher death rate. But aren't you... I dunno... 1000x more likely to contract the flu? Making it a far far higher threat to your health than C19? No?

Maybe read back in the thread. It has been explained about 100 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Nermal wrote: »
    No point in seriously damaging our economy for what will only be very marginal gains in safety. Life is risk.

So cancelling a couple of flights a day to a highly infected region which currently accounts for 12 of our 13 cases and puts us at risk of a rampant outbreak is damaging our economy?

Let me see? Cancel a couple of flights, or wait until our entire economy is ruined? I know which is the smarter option.

Up to last week I would have said it was safe enough to go ahead with St. Patricks Day parades. Unfortunately after the cases coming in from Italy, we no longer know who is potentially infected, and cancelling parades is probably the safest option.

And still we have cheap and easy access for people to and from the infected region including Italian rugby fans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement