Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

China's central province of Hubei, excluding the provincial capital Wuhan, has reported zero new cases of coronavirus over 24 hours for the first time during the outbreak, as authorities continued to contain imported infections in other parts of the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

quokula wrote: »
    And there are up to 25 thousand flu related deaths in Italy per year.

It's not the same as flu, it's different and there are more potential unknowns, but people really need to get some perspective on how small the numbers they quote actually are on an international scale.

And deaths due to flu would be less if more people would get the flu vaccine. I wonder how many people calling for drastic action and are all self-righteous in relation to this outbreak have vaccinated themselves against the annual flu.

I know this is more serious than the Flu with a higher mortality rate, that is obvious. But the sheer numbers getting flu every result in millions of death globally, many of which could also be prevented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Scotty # wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance while I bow to your COVID-19 expertise. I have to admit I don't know very much about either virus knor do I understand the mass hysteria.

Looking at the figures...
    Covid19 - 3% death rate
    Influenza - 0.05% death rate

So C19 has a 6x higher death rate. But aren't you... I dunno... 1000x more likely to contract the flu? Making it a far far higher threat to your health than C19? No?

Actually no, you are as likely to get Covid as you are to get the flue. It spreads pretty much in the same way
    Covid death rate by the way is 6%, not 3%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Are people being hospitalised because they are so sick or for isolation purposes? just wondering we
    also have asthma in our family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

Americans starting to panic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So cancelling a couple of flights a day to a highly infected region which currently accounts for 12 of our 13 cases and puts us at risk of a rampant outbreak is damaging our economy?

Let me see? Cancel a couple of flights, or wait until our entire economy is ruined? I know which is the smarter option.

Up to last week I would have said it was safe enough to go ahead with St. Patricks Day parades. Unfortunately after the cases coming in from Italy, we no longer know who is potentially infected, and cancelling parades is probably the safest option.

Thankfully communities realise this.

Pardon my ignorance while I bow to your COVID-19 expertise. I have to admit I don't know very much about either virus knor do I understand the mass hysteria.

Covid19 - 3% death rate

So C19 has a 6x higher death rate. But aren't you... I dunno... 1000x more likely to contract the flu? Making it a far far higher threat to your health than C19? No?

Not 1000 times more likely to catch the flu no, c19 is spreading rapidly cases announced are only tip of the amount of cases in reality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The flu kills between 300k and 600k every year. 18k in the US in 2019 alone. No headlines.

How is corona virus worse? Genuine question. Do you think COVID-19 will have a higher death toll?

It is shocking that someone could post such a question 2 months later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,880 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

294 days until Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Covid19 - 3% death rate

Based on those figures it’s 60 x higher death rate. Since nobody has immunity to covid and huge numbers are getting it at the same time the rate of deaths even indirectly from the outbreak will be massive. Think about where people with normal medical conditions go when hospitals and GPS are stretched.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

One of the issues is it seems more infective and has a higher fatality rate. The numbers are smaller now because it's new. The flu is not. Hopefully the numbers stay smaller but right not COVID-19 is a more fatal and more infective virus that then flu.

The really annoying thing is that the above has been said repeatedly on this thread and still people harp on about the flu/ car accidents/ smoking etc.

its not the flu or any of those things and I get that thinking of it as the flu might help people cope but this is different it is early days with it.

Wash your hands and buckle up as this hasnt even hit bad times yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Are people being hospitalised because they are so sick or for isolation purposes? just wondering we
    also have asthma in our family

Isolation; they are treating everyone confirmed in hospital until they dont have the facilities to do so.

Also helps them to study the condition and check to make sure their responses are working as intended.

is this real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

joe40 wrote: »
    And deaths due to flu would be less if more people would get the flu vaccine. I wonder how many people calling for drastic action and are all self-righteous in relation to this outbreak have vaccinated themselves against the annual flu.

I know this is more serious than the Flu with a higher mortality rate, that is obvious. But the sheer numbers getting flu every result in millions of death globally, many of which could also be prevented.

Covid19 - 6% death rate

you just can't compare the two at all

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Its a free phone number, all you have to do is call.

Oddly enough if there were 500000 cases and the deaths remained the same amount; you're left with SK's figures (.6% cfr).

Its SK's figures that one should be watching IMO. But even there I think many won't report their illness if its mild I think, thereby driving that 0.6% figure down lower to reach the actual one.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Isolation; they are treating everyone confirmed in hospital until they dont have the facilities to do so.

Also helps them to study the condition and check to make sure their responses are working as intended.

Brilliant thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1000. But the Mob tends towards panic and hysterics in the face of something they barely understand and the media will whip them up to even more hysterics to sell ads and clicks.

I told someone who was worrying themselves into a heap about this the other day - why is it that the people who are least informed about the virus are the ones panicing the most about it, whereas the people who are the most informed about it (ie: doctors, health professionals etc) are panicing the least?

Do people worry themselves stupid every flu season? Does the thought of catching a bad cold keep them up at night? The smallest amount of common sense on everyones part will keep this largely contained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Mad for the Jacks roll

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

What a surprise. Americans tend to be very thick and easily influenced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭No Bills

The flu kills between 300k and 600k every year. 18k in the US in 2019 alone. No headlines.

How is corona virus worse? Genuine question. Do you think COVID-19 will have a higher death toll?
    There is no vaccine for COVID-19.
    I would expect at least the same number of people to catch COVID-19 as catch the flu.
    The death rate from COVID-19 is not yet clear but is likely to be similar to, or higher than, the flu.
    I can't really see why COVID-19 will not be responsible for more deaths than the flu in Ireland.
    I don't see why this will not be the case in many counties.

Can you explain your thinking?
    Research has shown the vaccine can reduce the risk of flu, which is responsible for between 200 and 500 deaths in Ireland each year.

These are mostly among people aged 65 and over.

Others in the at-risk category include pregnant women, people with chronic illnesses, healthcare workers and people in regular contact with pigs, poultry or water fowl.
    www.herald.ie

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

is this real

Real fooking stupid! No social distancing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

Covid19 - 3% death rate

No, you are not more likely to catch the flu.
    The flu has an R0 of 1.3
    C19 R0 is estimated at about 2.2

Also 3% is 60 times 0.05%

You've made me even more worried now.

How do people calculate the death rate?
    Obviously including active cases wouldn't be a great way as we have no way of knowing how many will die.
    But if you only base it on the recovered, the opposite happens. We have no way of knowing how many active will recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Have to say that is crazy, America is led by an irrational idiot and you can now see why.I think this virus is really going to have a big impact on the USA, much bigger then Europe. Their health care system will be tested to the limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

YFlyer wrote: »
    Anyone know the estimate date that the Clare doctor arrived back from Italy?

Don't know. But I am calling bullsh*t on any possible HSE claims they have traced all his contacts. And even if they did, it was too late to prevent its spread.

The doctor and HSE are seriously culpable. Advising people not to be concerned and to isolate only if they display symptoms was really bad advice. We've known from the start that people can spread the virus before symptoms show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

So cancelling a couple of flights a day to a highly infected region which currently accounts for 12 of our 13 cases and puts us at risk of a rampant outbreak is damaging our economy?

Let me see? Cancel a couple of flights, or wait until our entire economy is ruined? I know which is the smarter option.

Up to last week I would have said it was safe enough to go ahead with St. Patricks Day parades. Unfortunately after the cases coming in from Italy, we no longer know who is potentially infected, and cancelling parades is probably the safest option.

And still we have cheap and easy access for people to and from the infected region including Italian rugby fans.
    I would always argue against over reaction but at this stage I think looking at flights to Northern Italy should be something to consider. Even a government scheme to reimburse people who have already booked holidays if insurance won't pay out. Might be cheaper in the long run.
    St.Patricks day parade could also be cancelled at this stage IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

khalessi wrote: »
    The really annoying thing is that the above has been said repeatedly on this thread and still people harp on about the flu/ car accidents/ smoking etc.

its not the flu or any of those things and I get that thinking of it as the flu might help people cope but this is different it is early days with it.

Wash your hands and buckle up as this hasnt even hit bad times yet.
    I think people just read flu-like symptoms and assume "oh it's just the flu" either way even as a healthy adult the flu ****ing sucks. I'm just after getting over a bout from last week. Wouldn't wish that on anybody. 4 days essentially lost because I couldn't do a thing due to fever, lack of energy and very high resting heart rates, easy to see how those more susceptible to it would be seriously affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Good observation. That's because those who died were in high risk categories (lived in tenements / poverty / squalor) and our imperial master didn't give a ****.

Not comparable but good attempt to shift the Overton window.

Don't ban flights just accept that from now on you have a higher probability of contracting a potentially life changing illness.

Many who died then were strong fit and well fed. Stop the Italian flights now!

There are groups of Italians roaming about Dublin now because the match was cancelled. It is almost a certainty that some of these are infected..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement