Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

This has been lost in the clamour for flights to be banned. On 31 January Italy banned flights from China. They had two confirmed cases at the time, two Chinese tourists. Their third case was on 6 February, an Italian repatriated from Wuhan. On 21 February they had 20 cases and we know the story since.

Doesn't this indicate that banning flights is somewhat pointless?

So they shouldn't have any problem with flights from Italy being banned!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Urquell

294 days until Christmas

Jesus, NOW Im stressed !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

Mad for the Jacks roll

They need lots of toilet rolls as they are full of ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What a surprise. Americans tend to be very thick and easily influenced.
    The abundance of post-apocalyptic entertainment also feeds it.

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Covid19 - 6% death rate
    Influenza - 0.05% death rate

you just can't compare the two at all

Thats the percentage derived from cases that are known about and then recovered. Throw in unknown cases and its lower than that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

The big winners in all this,Tech companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    I told someone who was worrying themselves into a heap about this the other day - why is it that the people who are least informed about the virus are the ones panicking the most about it, whereas the people who are the most informed about it (ie: doctors, health professionals etc) are panicking the least?

Do people worry themselves stupid every flu season? Does the thought of catching a bad cold keep them up at night? The smallest amount of common sense on everyones part will keep this largely contained.

Actually medical personnel are trained to not look like they are worrying when they are. I was trained to walk quickly not run when responding to a cardiac arrest so as not to instill panic. We don't cry telling bad news to patients, we are calm. There are lots of situations where we mask out feelings so not to alarm patient family or friends.

But looking at some of the health professionals on tv over last few days they look worried to me and I know speaking to others that they are concerned but they arent in roles of power so what can they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Thats the percentage derived from cases that are known about and then recovered. Throw in unknown cases and its lower than that.
    Death rate in South Korea which has handled this excellently is 0.6% which is probably a fairer reflection. Still a lot higher than the flu, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭quokula

The absolute c*nts at British Airways won't refund my friend's tickets for her honeymoon in Japan. She wants to cancel but if she does so, she'll lose all the money she paid, in addition to losing her annual leave and having her honeymoon wrecked.

What a vile company they are. Staff members testing positive and they're still forcing to people to fly or lose all their money.

Slightly off topic but when my mother passed away a few years ago when I was due to travel on a multi-leg trip, my travel insurance squirmed out of it (she had a pre-existing illness), the hotels wouldn't refund, Air Canada wouldn't refund for the internal Canadian flight I booked with them, but British Airways were extremely helpful, the staff I spoke to showed a lot of empathy, and they fully refunded me for my transatlantic flights.

There's no travel advice against Japan right now and just because 2 out of their 45 thousand employees are sick doesn't mean all their customers have an instant right to a full refund - if airlines start doing this they'll all be out of business in weeks. It's an unfortunate situation for your friend but if they wait it out and government advice is issued they may still get a refund. Or if not then they could always just go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,976 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    I told someone who was worrying themselves into a heap about this the other day - why is it that the people who are least informed about the virus are the ones panicing the most about it, whereas the people who are the most informed about it (ie: doctors, health professionals etc) are panicing the least?
    Do people worry themselves stupid every flu season? Does the thought of catching a bad cold keep them up at night? The smallest amount of common sense on everyones part will keep this largely contained.

First of all I reject the premise of your post with the word 'panic'.
    But common sense in many people is in short supply full stop when it comes to personal hygiene so there is concern about them spreading it.

Random thoughts in response to this:
    How many current doctors and health professionals are in the high risk categories? Why would they be concerned?

Did they panic in China when they sent an army of medical staff and equipment into battle against the virus in Wuhan-Hubei?

How many current doctors and health professionals are even aware of what happened in Wuhan? Should they be concerned?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

And how many cases of the flu are never reported? I for one have never gone to the doctor the 2 times in my life I've had the flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

Americans starting to panic

That guy with the mask sounds really out of breath, either he’s been fighting people for the nappies or wearing masks is actually pretty hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Very true, it will take a very long time to figure out the true fatality rate of COVID-19

Maybe. On the other hand, how many unknown cases of flu do we have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

It is shocking that someone could post such a question 2 months later.
    I guess we're not all glued to the interweb awaiting the next headline. I wonder, is that why they took my temperature getting off the plane in Bratislava last week? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Don't know. But I am calling bullsh*t on any possible HSE claims they have traced all his contacts. And even if they did, it was too late to prevent its spread.

The doctor and HSE are seriously culpable. Advising people not to be concerned and to isolate only if they display symptoms was really bad advice. We've known from the start that people can spread the virus before symptoms show.

This only.

Can't really blame him he was following protocols besides do we want others afraid to come forward by blaming them personally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

The big winners in all this,Tech companies.

Expand on this please.

From where im sitting, Tech companies Share Prices are dropping through the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

There has been 148 deaths in Italy in the past few weeks. This is way worse than the flu.

No it's not. 4 year study period here. Average 17k deaths per annum.

So it's still 16,852 deaths less worse than the flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

odyssey06 wrote: »

How many current doctors and health professionals are in the high risk categories? Why would they be concerned?

Did they panic in China when they sent an army of medical staff and equipment into battle against the virus in Wuhan-Hubei?

How many current doctors and health professionals are even aware of what happened in Wuhan? Should they be concerned?

I visited my GP this afternoon. Nice fella. Desperately worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,880 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

All headed the same way

FRANCEEEE.png?itok=WNkVU6nj

RONAMEP.jpg?itok=AIJ7k8nL

wapous.JPG?itok=MU8si_q-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

joe40 wrote: »
    I would always argue against over reaction but at this stage I think looking at flights to Northern Italy should be something to consider.

Why only now, when it could well be too late? Surely flights from Northern Italy should have been cancelled as soon as it became clear that region was a major hotspot for the disease, if it was going to be done at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From The Guardian feed @14.06 today
    In Koblenz, a city in western Germany, 1400 emergency care doctors and emergency care staff have been meeting for a “Corona Conference” and have warned against the growing hysteria surrounding the virus.

Jörg Brokmann, the congress president, said: “What we have is not a medical situation, we have a political situation”.

Brokmann said that Corona, or Covid-19 illnesses, were, “looked at closely, a somewhat severe case of flu, which was relatively mild for most patients.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Covid19 - 6% death rate
    Influenza - 0.05% death rate

you just can't compare the two at all

The 6% death rate is not certain yet and I wasn't exactly comparing the 2 diseases.
    I was comparing the apathy from large numbers in relation to the flu vaccine, compared to the panic caused by this virus. Both are deadly diseases in vulnerable populations

So far...
    It's simply not a valid comparison while the cases are still going up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

About the seasonal flu - Yes it kills but there's a yearly vaccine based on the most threatening strain. We are almost out of flu season. Having Covid-19 is like having another one, back to back, more deadly, more infectious with no vaccine or anti vitals - someone likened it to the TB outbreak before medical intervention was curing - then all they had was isolation and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

You can't seriously be comparing an annual number against one from 3 weeks, can you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

There has been 148 deaths in Italy in the past few weeks. This is way worse than the flu.

No point responding to them people imo. They refuse to acknowledge or even look at the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

odyssey06 wrote: »

Panic is something they are trained not to do.
    They can be concerned worried or anxious.
    Most doctors and nurses and other medical personnel are aware of what happened in Wuhan and China. Its all over papers, the dog on the street is.

Did the doctors there panic? Im sure they were worried and concerned no more then the fire fighters going into the towers as they knew most werent coming back. But it is the job and you protect yourself best you can

I know to family and friends I am playing it down as I am worried which they know but not to the extent. I have very vunerable family members and worry about them catching anything from anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Why only now, when it could well be too late? Surely flights from Northern Italy should have been cancelled as soon as it became clear that region was a major hotspot for the disease, if it was going to be done at all?

These were Irish people coming home. They went out before Italy became a major hotspot. Are you suggesting we should have prevented these people coming home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

There were plenty of rumours yesterday of new cases and there turned out to be 7. No rumours today so I guess no new cases? Hopefully anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement