Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

St.Patrick's Day parade in Stepaside South Co.Dublin has been cancelled joining Youghal Co.Cork, only a matter of time I'd opine before Dublin, Limerick etc will announce scaled back festivities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Can we make comparisons with common flu an infraction? Clogging up a thread which now looks like it will be needed for more serious information.

Also maybe the next thread could be just for Ireland updates V rest of the world?

There is so much news.

Irish Times
    Saturday, February 29th
    The first confirmed case of the coronavirus in Ireland was announced by the National Public Health Emergency Team on Saturday night. It followed another case confirmed in Northern Ireland earlier in the week.

The teenager had become ill after returning from Italy and was placed in isolation in a Dublin hospital.

Sunday, March 1st
    A north Dublin school with 400 pupils announced on Sunday it would close for two weeks after one of its students was confirmed as having the coronavirus. Public health officials order the closure as a precautionary measure and to minimise the risk of person-to-person transmission of the disease.

Tuesday, March 3rd
    The second case of the coronavirus in the Republic was confirmed on Tuesday evening after a woman who had recently travelled from Italy tested positive.

Wednesday, March 4th
    On Wednesday, it was confirmed that a family of four in Co Clare had tested positive for the virus after returning from a skiing holiday in northern Italy.

One of the family members, a healthcare professional, had worked in University Hospital Limerick’s emergency department before being diagnosed nine days after returning from the holiday. Efforts to trace people who came into contact with the four people are ongoing.

These include patients who attended the minor injuries zone of the hospital’s emergency department between 10am and 2pm on Wednesday, February 26th.

The hospital closed for three hours on Wednesday for a deep clean and patients were directed to other hospitals.

These cases, the first cluster of positive tests in the Republic, forced the closure of three schools in Co Clare as a precautionary measure.

As the number of global coronavirus cases approaches 100,000, the number of confirmed cases in the Republic had more than doubled by Friday, bringing the total to 13, along with three more in Northern Ireland.

Here is a timeline of the confirmed cases:

Saturday, February 29th
    The first confirmed case of the coronavirus in Ireland was announced by the National Public Health Emergency Team on Saturday night. It followed another case confirmed in Northern Ireland earlier in the week.

The teenager had become ill after returning from Italy and was placed in isolation in a Dublin hospital.

Sunday, March 1st
    A north Dublin school with 400 pupils announced on Sunday it would close for two weeks after one of its students was confirmed as having the coronavirus. Public health officials order the closure as a precautionary measure and to minimise the risk of person-to-person transmission of the disease.

Tuesday, March 3rd
    The second case of the coronavirus in the Republic was confirmed on Tuesday evening after a woman who had recently travelled from Italy tested positive.

Wednesday, March 4th
    On Wednesday, it was confirmed that a family of four in Co Clare had tested positive for the virus after returning from a skiing holiday in northern Italy.

One of the family members, a healthcare professional, had worked in University Hospital Limerick’s emergency department before being diagnosed nine days after returning from the holiday. Efforts to trace people who came into contact with the four people are ongoing.

These include patients who attended the minor injuries zone of the hospital’s emergency department between 10am and 2pm on Wednesday, February 26th.

The hospital closed for three hours on Wednesday for a deep clean and patients were directed to other hospitals.

These cases, the first cluster of positive tests in the Republic, forced the closure of three schools in Co Clare as a precautionary measure.

Northern Ireland also reported two new cases on Wednesday, one of them a student from Queen’s University, bringing to three the total number of cases in the North. Neither of the two new cases in the North involved travel through the Republic.

One of those who tested positive had travelled from northern Italy while the other had recent contact with a person elsewhere in the UK who had subsequently tested positive for Covid-19, said the North’s health minister Robin Swann.

Thursday, March 5th
    On Thursday evening, the Provost of Trinity College Dublin sent an email to its 17,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students and about 2,600 staff members informing them that a positive case of Covid-19 had been confirmed “within” the university.

Another three new cases of the virus were confirmed among men from the east of the country who had recently travelled from Italy.

Two women who were connected to the cases reported in Co Clare earlier in the week also tested positive.

A man who had been in Cork University Hospital (CUH) for up to a week was also diagnosed. It is understood the man, who received treatment in the hospital last week and was discharged, may have had contact with a large number of staff and sick patients before he was tested. However, it is not clear how he came into contact with the virus.

CUH has cancelled elective surgeries and imposed visitor restrictions along with the clearance of further space for isolating patients. The patient is receiving intensive care in an isolation unit at the hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Ludo wrote: »
    There were plenty of rumours yesterday of new cases and there turned out to be 7. No rumours today so I guess no new cases? Hopefully anyway.
    I would not be surprised if 7-10 new cases are announced later this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

khalessi wrote: »
    Actually medical personnel are trained to not look like they are worrying when they are. I was trained to walk quickly not run when responding to a cardiac arrest so as not to instill panic. We don't cry telling bad news to patients, we are calm. There are lots of situations where we mask out feelings so not to alarm patient family or friends.

But looking at some of the health professionals on tv over last few days they look worried to me and I know speaking to others that they are concerned but they arent in roles of power so what can they do?

I just had a horrible thought. I hate flying but one tip I got when their is turbulence on a plane is to look at the faces of flight attendants and if they are calm you will be grand. It never crossed my mind that this was part of their training!

My wide is gonna hav to BA Baracus my ass to get me on a plane now by slipping Sleeping tablets into my food :o

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

St.Patrick's Day parade in Stepaside South Co.Dublin has been cancelled joining Youghal Co.Cork, only a matter of time I'd opine before Dublin, Limerick etc will announce scaled back festivities.

Dungarvan, Co. Waterford and Midleton, Co. Cork cancelled (postponed) also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Cuckoo7 wrote: »
    That guy with the mask sounds really out of breath, either he’s been fighting people for the nappies or wearing masks is actually pretty hard.

It's the sound of fear and panic, he sees the grim reaper at every turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Does anyone know if the person working in The Central Bank who was tested is ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

is_that_so wrote: »
    From The Guardian feed @14.06 today
    They thought it was a great idea to hold a big gathering right now?
    In some countries they are banning big meetings of health personnel, but sure, go ahead it’s just political:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

Nice to see the cringy wannabe comedian mods have started using useful thread titles.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

St.Patrick's Day parade in Stepaside South Co.Dublin has been cancelled....

That'll be a big blow for the DLRCC gritter truck/snow plough driver! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Ludo wrote: »
    There were plenty of rumours yesterday of new cases and there turned out to be 7. No rumours today so I guess no new cases? Hopefully anyway.

Not a chance of no new cases. And I'm not trying to be a doomsdayer. If there aren't any new cases then the info we are being told about the virus is incorrect. Or the testing procedure is incorrect.

Improved hygiene and reduced social interaction over a few months will delay the spread. Time is what we need.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I just had a horrible thought. I hate flying but one tip I got when their is turbulence on a plane is to look at the faces of flight attendants and if they are calm you will be grand. It never crossed my mind that this was part of their training!

My wide is gonna hav to BA Baracus my ass to get on a plane now by slipping tablets into my food :o
    I do that too:D, I’ve always thought that real panic is pretty hard to hide, training or no training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

If this was a banking crisis the EU top heads would be all over us trying to stop contagiosity but a health crisis and it's like they will let this run rampant with no slowing it down and it's like saying - go fcuk yourselves and die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Cuckoo7 wrote: »
    They thought it was a great idea to hold a big gathering right now?
    In some countries they are banning big meetings of health personnel, but sure, go ahead it’s just political:mad:
    That's your take? Is it any wonder we get limited daily briefings!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

DOCARCH wrote: »
    That'll be a big blow for the DLRCC gritter truck/snow plough driver! :)

Yeah, he was having a quiet year anyways what with the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Nice to see the cringy wannabe comedian mods have started using useful thread titles.

Which ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Americans starting to panic

Ah for jaysus sake...

People are watching too much Walking Dead. They'll be building backyard coronavirus bunkers next - I'm sure some have already started.

owlbethere wrote: »
    If this was a banking crisis the EU top heads would be all over us trying to stop contagiosity but a health crisis and it's like they will let this run rampant with no slowing it down and it's like saying - go fcuk yourselves and die.

Oh this is absolutely gonna be a banking crisis too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭Christy42

Random thought. Should I stick up cos everyone else is? I mean I don't see the point of getting a year's worth of loo paper but if everyone else does then there won't be any in the shop and regular use suggests I will need it at. Some point!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mortimer33

No it's not. 4 year study period here. Average 17k deaths per annum.

So it's still 16,852 deaths less worse than the flu.

That would represent about 3% of the total population of Italy.. The CFR must be astronomical and not in sync with wordwide figures. Worldwide flu CFR is only about 0.2%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

Expand on this please.

From where im sitting, Tech companies Share Prices are dropping through the floor.

Don't follow shares myself,but look at this thread for example is it not a boon for boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We seem to be on par with the UK in terms of proportion on the population. 163 based on their population is about 13.5 patients here.

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's your take? Is it any wonder we get limited daily briefings!
    Of course that’s my take, they’ve been advised (at least in Spain they have) to avoid going to medical congress or gatherings, but of course if the spokeman of such a meeting is of the opinion that all this is just political bull**** I guess were all safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,605 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Please pause the thread while I catchup on the last 80 pages

Don't follow shares myself,but look at this thread for example is it not a boon for boards.ie.

:)

bless

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

skimpydoo wrote: »
    I would not be surprised if 7-10 new cases are announced later this evening.

Given trends in other countries, I'd be shocked if it was less than 7 tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

gabeeg wrote: »
    Oh this is absolutely gonna be a banking crisis too.

That's very true. It will probably be worse than the 08 crash. The Irish had Canada and Australia to emigrate to. A lot more countries will be caught up in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,778 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

fritzelly wrote: »
    Please pause the thread while I catchup on the last 80 pages

If you get corona and you've to self isolate and least you'd have something to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Yes, Covid does have a higher death rate. As of today = 5.74%
    It also requires higher level of health care

The death rate in Korea is around 1%, it depends on medical care available and how any elderly get it obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

quokula wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but when my mother passed away a few years ago when I was due to travel on a multi-leg trip, my travel insurance squirmed out of it (she had a pre-existing illness), the hotels wouldn't refund, Air Canada wouldn't refund for the internal Canadian flight I booked with them, but British Airways were extremely helpful, the staff I spoke to showed a lot of empathy, and they fully refunded me for my transatlantic flights.

There's no travel advice against Japan right now and just because 2 out of their 45 thousand employees are sick doesn't mean all their customers have an instant right to a full refund - if airlines start doing this they'll all be out of business in weeks. It's an unfortunate situation for your friend but if they wait it out and government advice is issued they may still get a refund. Or if not then they could always just go.

Almost every other airline flying to/from Japan has offered free refunds or changes. It's just British Airways holding out. I do understand they are a business but there are travel warnings about Japan (even if they're not the highest level ones) and the situation can change for the worse very quickly, as we've seen. It seems downright irresponsible to encourage people to travel when they'd rather not, and risk spreading the virus even further. My friend and her fiance would be delighted with being able to change to a flight later in the year, but no luck at all.

It's a horrid situation for them to be in - the flight might well get cancelled at the last minute, but by that time their accommodation will have become unrefundable and it'll be impossible to make alternative plans at such short notice (they can't get that annual leave back).

It's not so much the risk of getting the virus - I reckon the risk is just as high in London now. It's the idea of being stuck in a foreign country miles from home, especially if you got sick. That's what's worrying them. We've read that the Japanese are refusing to admit people with corona virus, and barely testing. Imagine being seriously ill in a foreign country and not being able to get proper help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement