Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Don't follow shares myself,but look at this thread for example is it not a boon for boards.ie.

Ah OK. I thought you meant real Tech Companies

https://finance.yahoo.com/u/yahoo-finance/watchlists/tech-stocks-that-move-the-market/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Christy42 wrote: »
    Random thought. Should I stick up cos everyone else is? I mean I don't see the point of getting a year's worth of loo paper but if everyone else does then there won't be any in the shop and regular use suggests I will need it at. Some point!

If it's something like toilet paper which will get used eventually then there's very little reason not to have a few weeks worth stocked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sigma101

mortimer33 wrote: »
    That would represent about 3% of the total population of Italy.. The CFR must be astronomical and not in sync with wordwide figures. Worldwide flu CFR is only about 0.2%

Not 3%, it's 0.03%!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Death rate Singapore 0%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Death rate Singapore 0%.

Really strong preparation post-SARS. Same for South Korea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Death rate Singapore 0%.
    Death rate Ireland currently 0% too.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rayfitzharris

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Actually no, you are as likely to get Covid as you are to get the flue. It spreads pretty much in the same way
    Covid death rate by the way is 6%, not 3%

And that's 120X the flu death rate, Scotty.

86X if we use the flawed (includes unresolved cases) WHO number of 4.3%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

YFlyer wrote: »
    Anyone know the estimate date that the Clare doctor arrived back from Italy?

Important information that should be available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

maninasia wrote: »
    The death rate in Korea is around 1%, it depends on medical care available and how any elderly get it obviously.

The Iranians currently have a CFR of 2.6%...

Italy has a CFR of 3.8%.

What the hell is going on in Italy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Biggest increase so far for UK -

+47 cases, total 163, fatalities 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Do people worry themselves stupid every flu season?

A lot of us get ourselves vaccinated against flu every year. Not because we're 'worried sick' or because we're stupid, but because we'd prefer not to be ill ourselves or to risk infecting others, particularly people we have a responsibility for. With Covid 19 we can't do that, but we're trying to inform ourselves on the other best options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

And that's 120X the flu death rate, Scotty.

86X if we use the flawed (includes unresolved cases) WHO number of 4.3%

WHO's figure was 3.4%.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

I wish people would cease comparing apples v oranges, and referencing percentages without reference to as to what they are percentages of and how they are derived.

Following based on Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by Johns Hopkins CSSE as of 6/3/2020. They are somewhat behind time as they show Ireland as 6 confirmed cases.
    http://https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
    (Johns Hopkins University are also modelling spread rates since January.)

Total confirmed cases worldwide 100,300.

Total recovered 55,694.

Total deaths 3408.

Total deaths v total confirmed cases = 3408/100,300 = 3.34%.

Total resolved = deaths+recovered = 3408/59102 = 5.77%.

Resolved v confirmed 59102 v 100,300.

It is meaningless to compare to other virus outbreaks as such figures are based on either total outbreak or yearly incidence figures, neither of which will be available for COVID-19 till 2021 at earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 6 March 2020

novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-6-march-2020.PNG?itok=H4orpexv

Daily cases in Europe beginning to form the classic bell shaped epidemic curve.

When will we hit the peak ?

:-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

maninasia wrote: »
    The death rate in Korea is around 1%, it depends on medical care available and how any elderly get it obviously.

I think that is down to the number of people they are testing.

ie: if every country tested more people you would get more positive results from patients with mild / no symptoms. Thus pushing down the death rate.

A lot of people have suspected that the true death rate is lower than the reported 2-3%, because of unknown / undiagnosed cases. This South Korea figure would appear to support that suspicion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Death rate Singapore 0%.

Their control measures are actually insane though. I have a friend over there who has to report their temperature in an online system at work every hour on the hour. If you break your 14 day isolation notice (if you've been a contact) you are prosecuted and could face jail/caning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Switzerland @ 214, up 94 cases today so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

DrumSteve wrote: »
    The Iranians currently have a CFR of 2.6%...

Italy has a CFR of 3.8%.

What the hell is going on in Italy?

Italy has the oldest population in Europe. It was uncontained in a hospital housing a huge number of elderly patients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭josip

Drumpot wrote: »
    I just had a horrible thought. I hate flying but one tip I got when their is turbulence on a plane is to look at the faces of flight attendants and if they are calm you will be grand. It never crossed my mind that this was part of their training!

My wide is gonna hav to BA Baracus my ass to get me on a plane now by slipping Sleeping tablets into my food :o

Turbulence is just potholes in the sky.
    I honestly can't remember the last time a plane I was on crashed because of turbulence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Death rate Singapore 0%.
    is_that_so wrote: »

Death rate Belgium 0%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

Paddy’s day parades
    Wuhan had the pot luck gathering
    We can have the pot a gold gathering
    It really worked out well in wuhan didn’t it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

I don't need to read some business page to figure it,i just need to use my brain.
    If lots of people are self isolating there is gonna be more people on facebook,using the internet,you telling me netflix isn't gonna through the roof and more people are not gonna be ordering online?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Death rate Singapore 0%.
    Death rate Belgium 0%

Ah now come on lads, how is this helping the anxiety addicts!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭quokula

You can't seriously be comparing an annual number against one from 3 weeks, can you?

First of all, the yearly flu numbers are also concentrated into a small period, it's not spread through the year. The current virus is unlikely to last that long either, but if you do extrapolate the 3 weeks out to a year you still end up with a far smaller number.

Somebody will say "oh but it's exponential" - all stats that we have of the outbreak at a more advanced stage show that it tapers off and doesn't stay exponential. You end up with a bell curve, which is consistent with flu. The key is when it peaks and all mitigation steps like hand washing flatten that bell curve which is why they're important.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Wexford campus of IT Carlow closed apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Oh god. The flu arguing is still going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Singapore has 120 cases with 82 recovered, first case Feb 4th so its a horse of a different colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Retail owners/managers will have to be extra careful with staff protection. Just imagine a till operator catches this and their close colleagues are put into isolation and the shop/supermarket is closed and deep cleaned. Public will stay even if it reopens!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Italy has the oldest population in Europe. It was uncontained in a hospital housing a huge number of elderly patients.

Italy (and France) have also stopped counting symptomless positive tests.

They did this to reduce their overall number because it was scary looking, but really all they've done is make their death rate look worse than it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Switzerland @ 214, up 94 cases today so far.

Jesus. They will struggle to cope from now on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement