Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

UK figure has now jumped to 163 (Friday 2pm).

What time is the Irish update announced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Would you say it's time to crack open each other's skulls and feast on the goo inside?

Yes I would, Ken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

That's crazy. I would have self isolated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Was in a Power City at 11:30 this morning, the guy there said they had sold 17 chest freezers already today. Local Tesco looks like Christmas Eve. People starting to get spooked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,762 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What would that make the death rate?

Round 1%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

darjeeling wrote: »
    I'd be tempted to go ten-fold higher again at this point, maybe more.

So, applying that, you're looking at 160000; if the CFR of SK is correct, you're looking at 960 Deaths, WHO CFR would give 5440 deaths... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Togo has it's first case of Coronavirus!

WELCOME to the club

giphy.gif

What would that make the death rate?

.6% CFR

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Togo has it's first case of Coronavirus!

WELCOME to the club

giphy.gif

Classy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

The Share Price is is what makes companies go Boom or Bust.

You arguing that more people on the internet is losing tech companies money,is like saying the sky is green and grass is blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Already has in many stores (along with tissues), guy at checkout yesterday said they were starting to have supply issues.

And the general majority of the populaiton haven't even began to do any sort of bulk purchase yet.

WA in two Aldi's and two Lidl's this morning there was no shortage of any products that I could see except hand sanatisers and disinfectants.
    Plenty of toilet roll. I dont understand the toilet roll thing, its as if the worst thing that can happen to you in the outbreak is having a dirty hole. Surely we can find other ways of cleaning are arse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Ipso wrote: »
    Yes I would, Ken.

Ken?!?

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fd2v9y0dukr6mq2.cloudfront.net%2Fvideo%2Fthumbnail%2FHlgAVX3Uiqco6pe4%2Fvideoblocks-white-male-disgusted-face-close-up_hxi9udxfg_thumbnail-full04.png&f=1&nofb=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

DrumSteve wrote: »
    So, applying that, you're looking at 160000; if the CFR of SK is correct, you're looking at 960 Deaths, WHO CFR would give 5440 deaths... :(

I think the WHO rate is inflated, and that it eventually be seen to be below 1%. How much below will be for the experts to say.
    Wuhan looks to be anomalous, and there may well be substantial under-recording of cases there. Elsewhere in China the WHO found that cases didn't seem under-recorded, and the fatality rate there looks to be under 1%.

CFR on the Diamond Princess is also looking around 1%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

No. It's new. So we don't know.

Might as well compare it to anything. We don't know what the stats are yet. Its too early.

Comparisons to the flu are about as relevant to waving a yardstick around.

Same arguements every few pages from the just a flu bro are clogging up the thread with the same thing. Over and over.

You're wrong. While it is new, it bears far more similarities to the flu than any other illness. Comparing it to say Cholera or Ebola would be as relevant as waving a yardstick around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Already has in many stores (along with tissues), guy at checkout yesterday said they were starting to have supply issues.

And the general majority of the populaiton haven't even began to do any sort of bulk purchase yet.

It's still on sale here in Clare, I can log in on tesco as well and order hundreds of rolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

UK figure has now jumped to 163 (Friday 2pm).

What time is the Irish update announced?

Around 8.45pm

darjeeling wrote: »
    I think the WHO rate is inflated, and that it eventually be seen to be below 1%. How much below will be for the experts to say.
    Wuhan looks to be anomalous, and there may well be substantial under-recording of cases there. Elsewhere in China the WHO found that cases didn't seem under-recorded, and the fatality rate there looks to be under 1%.

I'd tend to agree; I think the real issue at the moment is the long recovery time (median recovery is 32 days; mild versions of the virus take up to 2 weeks) and also testing to make sure it's gone. So people can be ok; but it's hard to confirm it if all the energy is going into diagnostic of peopl with symptoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Classy

What? I'm welcoming Togo to the coalition of the diseased.

What's your problem? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Today's trolley watch

https://www.inmo.ie/Trolley_Ward_Watch

Irish hospitals are 359 beds short today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Lads, whats the point in fighting this????

Knowledgeable posters with obvious scientific backgrounds/PhDs (definitely not hysterical loons) have said it is some kind of mixture between SARS/HIV/Black plague. We are doomed anyway.

We all die eventfully. No points sweating this sh*t, put your faith up in the Lord sonny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Ken?!?

Kenny Brockelstein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Ken?!?

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fd2v9y0dukr6mq2.cloudfront.net%2Fvideo%2Fthumbnail%2FHlgAVX3Uiqco6pe4%2Fvideoblocks-white-male-disgusted-face-close-up_hxi9udxfg_thumbnail-full04.png&f=1&nofb=1

Think he means Kent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

2ndcoming wrote: »
    You're wrong. While it is new, it bears far more similarities to the flu than any other illness. Comparing it to say Cholera or Ebola would be as relevant as waving a yardstick around.

Sorry not being rude but i am not bothered doing this again. Yeah I'm wrong you're right.

Just a flu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,778 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

sideswipe wrote: »
    Was in a Power City at 11:30 this morning, the guy there said they had sold 17 chest freezers already today. Local Tesco looks like Christmas Eve. People starting to get spooked!

Going by the stock levels on the power city website they are about the same as the time I was buying one in 2018.
    Supermarkets in my town are the normal Friday trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Super valu had plenty of everything. Only change was a table with empty sanitizer bottles and packets of wipes at the entrance.
    Doctor's phone was engaged most of the morning. They have started asking if you've been in Italy etc now when you make an appointment. (My kid has an ear infection.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭bronkobilly

Was in two Aldi's and two Lidl's this morning there was no shortage of any products that I could see except hand sanatisers and disinfectants.
    Plenty of toilet roll. I dont understand the toilet roll thing, its as if the worst thing that can happen to you in the outbreak is having a dirty hole. Surely we can find other ways of cleaning are arse?

news paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Singapore has 120 cases with 82 recovered, first case Feb 4th so its a horse of a different colour.

Singapore is the Gold standard in how to contain this outbreak. Total transparency, travel bans, forced quarantines. They have been proactive from the beginning, and have contained the virus even though they they recorded their first case over a month ago. This is the model we should be following, but the HSE seem hellbent on doing the exact opposite.

"Singapore was aggressive out of the gate and has continued to be. It was one of the first countries to impose restrictions on anyone with recent travel history to China and parts of South Korea. It has a strict hospital and home quarantine regimen for potentially infected patients and is extensively tracing anyone they may have been in contact with.

It’s charging a couple who gave false information on their travel history and taking away residency status from a person who breached his quarantine, among other punitive actions.

Singapore “will not hesitate to take strong action” against rule breakers, Law Minister K. Shanmugam said in a statement Thursday. “The deliberate breaking of the rules, in the current situation, calls for swift and decisive response.”

The country started a text and mobile web-based software solution on Feb. 10 through which people placed under home quarantine could report their location to the government, according to a statement Thursday from the Prime Minister’s Office."

https://fortune.com/2020/02/28/singapore-coronavirus-contained-response/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

In Dublin city centre at the moment just saw a group of about 15 Italians going into a hostel type accommodation off Talbot Street ..

Absolutely madness letting them come over .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement