Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Primary school in Galway told to keep 6th class at home today and for next 2 weeks due to contact with a confirmed case
    Other children in school recommended to be kept at home too

Gort. Yesterday's news today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I'm still very relaxed about this, although I have a feeling our numbers may double or even more later tonight when they announce and there will be a lot of hysterical people this weekend.

We've obviously failed to contain this. We actually didn't even really try did we? One rugby match cancelled. People told to self isolate only if they had symptoms.

We also have basically no actions in place to slow this thing down.
    The reality is though, most of us will be fine. It will be fairly mild for probably 80 - 85% of people. Another 10% will be more serious. Maybe 5% or less will actually die.

When all is said and done, our world leaders should really sit down together and review this. Put actions in place to stop it from happening again. Wishful thinking on my part!

100% of us know people in the high risk bracket.

But anyways that's besides the point. We are basically going to lose our health care system for the foreseeable. We're heading into an awful looking recession.
    Companies will fold. People will lose their jobs. There'll be a banking crisis. There'll be another horrible chapter in our ongoing housing crisis.

If you're relaxed about this it's because you haven't given it all the thought it deserves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

I just saw an Italian looking guy,he as an wearing an Italian looking outfit ,sneeze on a path here in Dublin, no attempt to cover his face and with two school children in uniforms walking in the opposite direction, very close in proximity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

KaneToad wrote: »
    We all need to play our part in slowing down the spread. Hand washing, coughing into elbow and reduced social interaction. Time is what we need.

You realise the HSE are actually the super spreader in Ireland?

Kinda goosed when the health care professionals are the typhoid marys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

McGiver wrote: »
    Question is what is "mild"? The mantra of "80% is mild" in media/TV/radio makes me uneasy. It will likely generate complacency in the overall population here "ah sure it's grand it's just mild in 4/5 cases". I believe latest papers from Italy shown only 30% of mild symptoms.

That's because of the demography of those affected. The Chinese data (FWIW) is more accurate in terms of who is affected.

Mild symptoms are effectively the same as the flu (before anyone says anything, im not comparing it to the flu).

This is nothing to be complacent about. A lot of people are going to die.

The key is to minimise it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Anyone want to take a stab at Italy's numbers to be announced in the next 2 hours?

Remember Iran is on fire (literally) - 1,200+ cases in one day.

I will go with 800 new cases for the boot

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

gabeeg wrote: »
    There'll be another horrible chapter in our ongoing housing crisis.

It may free up a lot of houses!

Thought of that one last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

tillyfilly wrote: »
    I just saw an Italian looking guy sneeze on a path here in Dublin, no attempt to cover his face and with two school children in uniforms walking in the opposite direction, very close in proximity

Would you feel the same if he was Norwegian?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Here in Switzerland its officially reach pandemic levels 210 cases (doubled in last 24 hours). The Government has advised no commuting and home office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Italy banned flights from China on 31 January. They still had a major outbreak occurring 21 days later. Why would banning flights from Italy here be any different?

That was after two Chinese tourists in Rome had already  tested positive for coronavirus. A cluster of cases were later detected starting with 16 confirmed cases.

I'd say they didnt get the door shut in time. Much like here obviously with the number of Italian contact cases which have came to light. Ah well. Sure it'll be grand...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

I will leave you to your panicking about the flu.Have at it.

I’m not panicking about the flu. I had it last week. It was awful.

I’m not panicking about COVID-19 either. Your post is still monumentally stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I just saw an Italian looking guy,he as an wearing an Italian looking outfit ,sneeze on a path here in Dublin, no attempt to cover his face and with two school children in uniforms walking in the opposite direction, very close in proximity

You should have shot him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Its gotten to the point that i cant decipher which posts are satire and which are genuine on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Anyone want to take a stab at Italy's numbers to be announced in the next 2 hours?

950 new cases. 55 deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Was he eating pizza? Or look like an extra out of the Sopranos?

Ridiculous. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Ill see 1000 new Italy cases ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Maybe he was Italian, maybe he wasn't, do you know if he's been to Italy since the outbreak? Maybe he lives in Dublin :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

I will go with 800 new cases

1000+ with 40+ deaths. Italian numbers are way under reported based on how many they are exporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

100% of us know people in the high risk bracket.

But anyways that's besides the point. We are basically going to lose our health care system for the foreseeable. We're heading into an awful looking recession.
    Companies will fold. People will lose their jobs. There'll be a banking crisis. There'll be another horrible chapter in our ongoing housing crisis.

If you're relaxed about this it's because you haven't given it all the thought it deserves

I've given it plenty of thought and I'm certain these things you mention will happen (except perhaps the banking crisis - the pillar banks in Ireland are no where near as exposed to market volatility as they used to be). I'm still relaxed. It is the only rational reaction IMO. I can't control any of it other than my own reaction and I'm not going to get stressed out over what I can't control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I think Italy's numbers will be lower than yesterday with less deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

Update:

Guidelines on the holding of mass gatherings are being discussed at a meeting of a stakeholder forum which is beginning around now.

Employer groups, trade unions, voluntary groups and civic society representatives are attending the discussion to decide how to proceed with large events in the face of the coronavirus.

It's expected the guidelines will be published sometime this evening after the meeting ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

DrumSteve wrote: »

I hear Kermit is opening a book on it, might get decent return on that

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

In fairness I've been seeing that with all sorts of people the last few weeks, coughing into the air without covering their mouths, sneezing without covering their mouths, spitting on the ground etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

DrumSteve wrote: »

667...the neighbour of the beast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

dan786 wrote: »
    Update:

Guidelines on the holding of mass gatherings are being discussed at a meeting of a stakeholder forum which is beginning around now.

Employer groups, trade unions, voluntary groups and civic society representatives are attending the discussion to decide how to proceed with large events in the face of the coronavirus.

It's expected the guidelines will be published sometime this evening after the meeting ends.

No rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I just seen someone hawk and spit on the ground on Baggot st. That is what we are up against. Someone probably has walked on it since and may remove their shoes shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Don't F**k With Cats Boards documentary incoming. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

950 new cases. 55 deaths

do we really have to play this game?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I'm still very relaxed about this, although I have a feeling our numbers may double or even more later tonight when they announce and there will be a lot of hysterical people this weekend.

We've obviously failed to contain this. We actually didn't even really try did we? One rugby match cancelled. People told to self isolate only if they had symptoms.

We also have basically no actions in place to slow this thing down.
    The reality is though, most of us will be fine. It will be fairly mild for probably 80 - 85% of people. Another 10% will be more serious. Maybe 5% or less will actually die.

When all is said and done, our world leaders should really sit down together and review this. Put actions in place to stop it from happening again. Wishful thinking on my part!

China is currently banning the wild food markets and has drafted a new list of meat that is permitted to sell as far as I’m aware that excludes wild animals. This is a good step

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

People this morning were discussing Germany. This is the attitude of at least part of the medical community:

“ In Koblenz, western Germany, 1,400 emergency care doctors and emergency care staff have been meeting for a “Corona Conference” and have warned against the growing hysteria surrounding the virus.

Jörg Brokmann, the congress president, said: “What we have is not a medical situation, we have a political situation”.

Brokmann, who is head of the central emergency department of the university clinic of Aachen, was highly critical of some of the decisions that had been made, including putting four paediatricians into quarantine in the worst-hit state in Germany, North Rhine Westphalia, even though they had apparently shown no corona symptoms. The doctors had been in contact with infected patients.

“In my opinion, this is an overreaction to the situation,” Brokmann warned, adding that Germany was in danger of running short of medical staff to treat Corona patients, if it abided too strictly by the rules set by the government advisory institute on health issues, the Robert Koch Institute.

Brokmann said that Corona, or Covid-19, illnesses, were “looked at closely, a somewhat severe case of flu, which was relatively mild for most patients”.

He said it was therefore a mistake to put doctors, nurses and receptionists into quarantine and to force the closure of medical practices, if they showed no symptoms.

He said it was worth remembering that Germany registered a high number of deaths from influenza every year. The last strong wave of the flu claimed an estimated 25,000 lives, he said.”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement