Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I just seen someone hawk and spit on the ground on Baggot st. That is what we are up against.

One of the most disgusting habits!

What's worse is when it's televised! Should be banned in sport....soccer/rugby/gaa players hawking on the pitch. Absolutely filthy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Meanwhile Bulgaria still has no cases at all.

It helps if you’ve tested no one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

No rush.
    it's only taken them the guts of a week for this there have been announcing the publishing of the guidelines since monday I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Croohur1

Two new cases in Wicklow. One in Arklow and one approx in the Aughrim area it seems. I am in Aughrim myself and a lot of rumours are flying around!

https://wicklownow.ie/news/covid-cases-are-in-wicklow/

Both seem to have originated in Northern Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Croohur1 wrote: »
    Two new cases in Wicklow. One in Arklow and one approx in the Aughrim area it seems. I am in Aughrim myself and a lot of rumours are flying around!

These could be part of the 4 males in the east mentioned yesterday though no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

embraer170 wrote: »
    People this morning were discussing Germany. This is the attitude of at least part of the medical community:

“ In Koblenz, western Germany, 1,400 emergency care doctors and emergency care staff have been meeting for a “Corona Conference” and have warned against the growing hysteria surrounding the virus.

Jörg Brokmann, the congress president, said: “What we have is not a medical situation, we have a political situation”.

Brokmann, who is head of the central emergency department of the university clinic of Aachen, was highly critical of some of the decisions that had been made, including putting four paediatricians into quarantine in the worst-hit state in Germany, North Rhine Westphalia, even though they had apparently shown no corona symptoms. The doctors had been in contact with infected patients.

“In my opinion, this is an overreaction to the situation,” Brokmann warned, adding that Germany was in danger of running short of medical staff to treat Corona patients, if it abided too strictly by the rules set by the government advisory institute on health issues, the Robert Koch Institute.

Brokmann said that Corona, or Covid-19, illnesses, were “looked at closely, a somewhat severe case of flu, which was relatively mild for most patients”.

He said it was therefore a mistake to put doctors, nurses and receptionists into quarantine and to force the closure of medical practices, if they showed no symptoms.

He said it was worth remembering that Germany registered a high number of deaths from influenza every year. The last strong wave of the flu claimed an estimated 25,000 lives, he said.”
    This mindset needs no further explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Tippex wrote: »
    it's only taken them the guts of a week for this there have been announcing the publishing of the guidelines since monday I believe

This should have been given the second Harris was deciding on the cancellation of the rugby international.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

tillyfilly wrote: »
    I just saw an Italian looking guy,he as an wearing an Italian looking outfit ,sneeze on a path here in Dublin, no attempt to cover his face and with two school children in uniforms walking in the opposite direction, very close in proximity

Dressed like this?

Screenshot-20200306-152213.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Firs cases today in Slovakia, Cameroon, Vatican city, Bhutan, Peru and Togo

Coronavirus now detected in the majority of states in the world

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

Not sure, the rumour mill in the village saying this is recent, but I would be delighted to hear that they are part of yesterday's numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Anyone want to take a stab at Italy's numbers to be announced in the next 2 hours?

Remember Iran is on fire (literally) - 1,200+ cases in one day.

I will go with 800 new cases for the boot

I wonder is Salman Rushdie quietly pleased

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Meanwhile Bulgaria still has no cases at all.

It helps if you’ve tested no one.

Or Turkey, which is very hard to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭1641

kilns wrote: »
    Here in Switzerland its officially reach pandemic levels 210 cases (doubled in last 24 hours). The Government has advised no commuting and home office

Pandemic or epidemic?

“The situation is serious and becoming more so, but there is no reason to panic,” Daniel Koch of the health office told a news conference in Bern on Wednesday.

Due to the spread of the coronavirus, the government has categorised the situation in the country as “special”, under the terms of the Epidemics Act. This allows the authorities to take over certain powers from the 26 cantons and to order measures, including bans on events. The application of these legal provisions is a first for Switzerland.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/covid-19_coronavirus--the-situation-in-switzerland/45592192

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

blade1 wrote: »
    Dressed like this?

Screenshot-20200306-152213.jpg

Pretty sure they're Swiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I'm still very relaxed about this, although I have a feeling our numbers may double or even more later tonight when they announce and there will be a lot of hysterical people this weekend.

We've obviously failed to contain this. We actually didn't even really try did we? One rugby match cancelled. People told to self isolate only if they had symptoms.

We also have basically no actions in place to slow this thing down.
    The reality is though, most of us will be fine. It will be fairly mild for probably 80 - 85% of people. Another 10% will be more serious. Maybe 5% or less will actually die.

When all is said and done, our world leaders should really sit down together and review this. Put actions in place to stop it from happening again. Wishful thinking on my part!

Agreed I feel not enough was done to contain it. Government scared of making decisions.

And maybe 5% or less will die but that will be someones brother sister mum dad grandparent, or child. I certainly dont fancy looking around my family circle in 12 months time seeing gaps that could have been preventable if the government had only acted sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

gabeeg wrote: »
    My girlfriend is from Trento, Northern Italy, but has also lived in a couple of other towns in Lombardy

One such town is Romano about an hours drive from Milan. We were talking to her best friend from the town yesterday evening. It's like a ghost town. Shops, bars and restaurants shut. A lot of people are visibly sick, including her parents, her boyfriend and many within her wider group of friends. They don't know for sure if it's Coronavirus and they won't be tested unless they get really, really sick. They don't meet the criteria she says.

Her feeling was that Romano was probably going to be locked down as there was clearly some sort of outbreak.
    They're all living in a deeply boring kind of terror.

Some schools have been shut. A friend of hers has to go to work but the only person who can mind her kid is her mother, who is in the high risk bracket. These are the kinds of things they're grappling with over there - do I risk the health and possibly life of my mother, or do I lose my job?

Nice food though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

dan786 wrote: »
    Update:

Guidelines on the holding of mass gatherings are being discussed at a meeting of a stakeholder forum which is beginning around now.

Employer groups, trade unions, voluntary groups and civic society representatives are attending the discussion to decide how to proceed with large events in the face of the coronavirus.

It's expected the guidelines will be published sometime this evening after the meeting ends.
    Any link to this going on?

Anyone want to take a stab at Italy's numbers to be announced in the next 2 hours?

Remember Iran is on fire (literally) - 1,200+ cases in one day.

I will go with 800 new cases for the boot

19789999.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Belgium, Netherlands, Norway and Sweden, all have over 100 cases as of this morning, Switzerland now has over 200, France and Germany both almost 600 cases

Europe now has around 6000 cases, 3/4 of them in Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Gort. Yesterday's news today.

Craughwell actually

You're not very woke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

If it comes to it, I wonder if its possible to have mildly infected medical staff treat infected patients, rather than have them self isolate. Set up some quarantined buildings, and allow patients be treated. Would the mildly infected staff, be at risk of getting sicker.....I know zero about the topic, just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

19789999.jpg

That meme never fails to annoy me. Overrated movie too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Croohur1 wrote: »

only one traveled to Italy, did you read the article?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

wakka12 wrote: »
    Firs cases today in Slovakia, Cameroon, Vatican city, Bhutan, Peru and Togo

Coronavirus now detected in the majority of states in the world

There's 195 countries in the world.

This has been detected in 96 of them...

2 to go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Yurt! wrote: »

What have you got against Westerns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

tillyfilly wrote: »
    I just saw an Italian looking guy,he as an wearing an Italian looking outfit ,sneeze on a path here in Dublin, no attempt to cover his face and with two school children in uniforms walking in the opposite direction, very close in proximity

atk1v.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Yurt! wrote: »

We're gonna need a threadban in Aisle #3.

Threadban in Aisle #3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

This is the issue with no proper official information, leaves people guessing or speculating and worse, spreading rumours. It's farcical.

We will see more and more photoshopped information coming through, students wanting to get off school etc.

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    only one traveled to Italy, did you read the article?

Yes I did thanks, but the other man (a local) also just returned from Northern Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Brokmann, who is head of the central emergency department of the university clinic of Aachen, was highly critical of some of the decisions that had been made, including putting four paediatricians into quarantine in the worst-hit state in Germany, North Rhine Westphalia, even though they had apparently shown no corona symptoms. The doctors had been in contact with infected patients.

“In my opinion, this is an overreaction to the situation,” Brokmann warned, adding that Germany was in danger of running short of medical staff to treat Corona patients, if it abided too strictly by the rules set by the government advisory institute on health issues, the Robert Koch Institute.

Brokmann said that Corona, or Covid-19, illnesses, were “looked at closely, a somewhat severe case of flu, which was relatively mild for most patients”.

He said it was therefore a mistake to put doctors, nurses and receptionists into quarantine and to force the closure of medical practices, if they showed no symptoms.

He said it was worth remembering that Germany registered a high number of deaths from influenza every year. The last strong wave of the flu claimed an estimated 25,000 lives, he said.”

So the bold Dr Brockman wants to increase the spread of the disease by letting infected healthcare workers kill their vulnerable sick patients !

I suppose all his older relatives are somehow immune !

Is he related to Dr Mengele ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement