Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

They could have been brought home in a controlled manner such as charter flight and then 2 week isolation as happened in the UK and the outbreak in Wuhan. And once that was completed, ban flights to and from the region.

As it stands, people continue to be put at risk including unfortunately flight crew. Madness.

Absolutely, anyone coming back from Italy or travelling from same should have been clearly told not to go to school or work etc and keep themselves house confined for a fortnight, in the possible but unlikely event of them developing symptoms. Inconvenient but would surely have been a more useful strategy of 'containment'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

BloodBath wrote: »
    atk1v.gif

Ah mamma Mia!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Lads, whats the point in fighting this????

Knowledgeable posters with obvious scientific backgrounds/PhDs (definitely not hysterical loons) have said it is some kind of mixture between SARS/HIV/Black plague. We are doomed anyway.

Twill be grand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Scotty # wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance while I bow to your COVID-19 expertise. I have to admit I don't know very much about either virus knor do I understand the mass hysteria.

Looking at the figures...
    Covid19 - 3% death rate
    Influenza - 0.05% death rate

So C19 has a 6x higher death rate. But aren't you... I dunno... 1000x more likely to contract the flu? Making it a far far higher threat to your health than C19? No?

No worries but the difference between the numbers you quoted is actual 6X.
    I don't know many people who know how to deal with really small or really big numbers.

Its actually 60!
    3 / 0.05 = 60

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Miike wrote: »
    Their control measures are actually insane though. I have a friend over there who has to report their temperature in an online system at work every hour on the hour. If you break your 14 day isolation notice (if you've been a contact) you are prosecuted and could face jail/caning

The temp reporting per hour is an extreme example. That you will be prosecuted or fined for breaking home quarantine is the same in many countries in Asia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So the bold Dr Brockman wants to increase the spread of the disease by letting infected healthcare workers kill their vulnerable sick patients !

I suppose all his older relatives are somehow immune !

Is he related to Dr Mengele ?

Call for Godwin on line 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Ah mamma Mia!

You've a mamma'd your'a lasta Mia!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

My husband works for a foodstuff company. For a particular line of products, they would normally get orders for approximately 25,000 boxes of the product across the country from all the supermarkets in any one week. Last week they got orders for 33,000 boxes, and they've just got this weeks orders in - 55,000 boxes.

They have the stock - unusually, because normally they run a JIT logistics strategy, but they had built up some stock as a Brexit buffer. So they can supply the supermarkets. So I'm guessing that's what's happening. The manufacturers are running down their stocks, so the shelves in most places are generally full, but that won't last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Europe fails to help Italy in coronavirus fight
    "The refusal so far to volunteer help for Italy, which requested face masks through the EU's civil protection mechanism, highlights the urgency for Brussels as it seeks to orchestrate a coordinated response to the epidemic.

Just weeks ago, Italy was one of five EU countries, along with France, Germany, Latvia and Estonia, to send more than 30.5 tons of protective equipment to China, with the transport costs jointly financed by the EU."
    https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-aims-better-control-coronavirus-responses/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Anyone want to help Italy?

Anyone at all!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

wakka12 wrote: »
    Belgium, Netherlands, Norway and Sweden, all have over 100 cases as of this morning, Switzerland now has over 200, France and Germany both almost 600 cases

Europe now has around 6000 cases, 3/4 of them in Italy

France and German have done well slowing the spread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Anyone at all!?

I would, but I can't get a flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

If it comes to it, I wonder if its possible to have mildly infected medical staff treat infected patients, rather than have them self isolate. Set up some quarantined buildings, and allow patients be treated. Would the mildly infected staff, be at risk of getting sicker.....I know zero about the topic, just curious.
    I don't think you understand what happens when you get the virus.

Dry cough at first, hacking cough you just can't shake. Tires you out and makes you breathless. Many people die because they suffocate when their lungs can't respire effectively enough to get oxygen to the cells.

A fever kicks in because your body is stressed and working overtime to protect you from the rapid spread of the virus. You'll probably be sweating buckets and are a very high infection risk at this point. Putting healthcare workers in contact with patients like this, as far as I know, increases their viral load.

Finally the muscles spasms kick in as your cells desperately try to access any energy left in them to try and get the virus out.

The only cure at the moment is rest and people are currently dying regularly while trying to get better.

So personally I think we should let hospital staff off sick when they need it. We owe it to them because we couldn't cover our coughs and infected others, protect ourselves from other people or take measured steps to contain this before it was out of control.

Pat Kenny, Joe Duffy and Sean Moncreiff all off work today. Anyone else notice high-profile absences? I've been off sick myself (with a cold) the last two days and looking at getting an extension on my medical cert if I need to on Monday. I'm lucky enough to have sick pay. I wish everyone did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Anyone at all!?

Help them for helping us😬

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

DrumSteve wrote: »
    That's because of the demography of those affected. The Chinese data (FWIW) is more accurate in terms of who is affected.

Mild symptoms are effectively the same as the flu (before anyone says anything, im not comparing it to the flu).

This is nothing to be complacent about. A lot of people are going to die.

The key is to minimise it.

Agreed. I think a lot of people who think they’ve had the flu before haven’t actually had it. Even people saying ‘it’s just a flu’ surely have not had a full blown flu as if they have had a real flu they would understand it’s nothing to be sniffed at!

I feel many cases of mistaken for ‘flu’ are just a bad dose....”Jonny has the flu so we just going to have some food, watch a film and rest on the couch for the weekend” is not a case of the flu.

In my opinion when you have the actual flu you are generally so sick you are bed bound as opposed to being able to walk around your house or even contemplate watching tv. You’re too sick to even care about watching tv or use energy to do that at its worst .I am healthy and ended up in hospital with it and was shocked at how bad it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Simdruid

Any link to this going on?

I'm mostly a lurker so I'm not sure I can post links but it's on the RTE site's live update at 15:09.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

flynnlives wrote: »
    We are still dithering over St, patrick's day. In 2001 foot and mouth cancelled St. patrick's day with no objection from anyone from what i remember. There is zero leadership on this crisis in Gov. The HSE's transparency and decision making has been woeful.

It's hard to figure who is really in charge and knows it. As usual, decisions likely been made across a number of bodies and by various people. All of who will declare that they weren't really responsible if things go pear shaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

dan786 wrote: »
    Update:

Guidelines on the holding of mass gatherings are being discussed at a meeting of a stakeholder forum which is beginning around now.

Employer groups, trade unions, voluntary groups and civic society representatives are attending the discussion to decide how to proceed with large events in the face of the coronavirus.

It's expected the guidelines will be published sometime this evening after the meeting ends.

What I was saying and was dismissed as hysterical in the recent past will become the new norm soon.

I’m really gratified to see this meeting going ahead. If they start tightening things up now instead of waiting two weeks till after Paddy’s Day it will make a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,526 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Simdruid wrote: »
    I'm mostly a lurker so I'm not sure I can post links but it's on the RTE site's live update at 15:09.

High level meetings taken place all day appartently.

I wonder will start the shutdown of the country over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Its actually 60!
    3 / 0.05 = 60

Correct. I jumped the gun. However, that figure is the rate in the US. The global avg could be much higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Canonfan View Post
    Sorry no link but it is 100% confirmed because I have a lot of Chinese friends and this is shared by WECHAT( Chinese chatting software).

...............................................................................................

The Popehimself
    Thank you for getting back.

Would you happen to have any details? Has it been confirmed, even in the chat, that there is a suspected case/ is there someone with symptoms/ are people being tested? How many businesses are closed?

Is Golden beach supermarket closed at Number 137?

Any update appreciated.

..........................................................................................

No Need. I just confirmed it myself. No customers allowed. Several Closed.

Are you getting that it is a confirmed case? (That is what I am getting)

If so, that is the city centre.

There is no confirmed case in the Chinese community here, the restaurant owners are afraid that the Italian tourists might flood the street this weekend and some might be travelling from Northern Italy.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Ivo Cilesi, renown doctor in Italy who recently commented in Italian media that he wasn’t too worried about the coronavirus as it was only a “slightly more severe flue”, has died from the virus: https://www.lastampa.it/cronaca/2020/03/03/news/morto-di-coronavirus-ivo-cilesi-fra-massimi-esperti-di-alzheimer-1.38545327

May he rest in peace, and hopefully this can get Italians and Europeans to take it more seriously.

62 years old. Would be in a higher risk age group unfortunately.

Boggles wrote: »
    High level meetings taken place all day appartently.

I wonder will start the shutdown of the country over the weekend.

Yeah I'd imagine that'll be the case.

They can say, look at Italy, we're ceasing public gatherings til this is sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭1641

JDD wrote: »
    My husband works for a foodstuff company. For a particular line of products, they would normally get orders for approximately 25,000 boxes of the product across the country from all the supermarkets in any one week. Last week they got orders for 33,000 boxes, and they've just got this weeks orders in - 55,000 boxes.

They have the stock - unusually, because normally they run a JIT logistics strategy, but they had built up some stock as a Brexit buffer. So they can supply the supermarkets. So I'm guessing that's what's happening. The manufacturers are running down their stocks, so the shelves in most places are generally full, but that won't last.

Its not All-Bran? it would explain the loo paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

62 years old. Would be in a higher risk age group unfortunately.
    Yes but I'd say marginal. Maybe underlying condition. Who knows.

I don't think you understand what happens when you get the virus.

Dry cough at first, hacking cough you just can't shake. Tires you out and makes you breathless. Many people die because they suffocate when their lungs can't respire effectively enough to get oxygen to the cells.

A fever kicks in because your body is stressed and working overtime to protect you from the rapid spread of the virus. You'll probably be sweating buckets and are a very high infection risk at this point. Putting healthcare workers in contact with patients like this, as far as I know, increases their viral load.

Finally the muscles spasms kick in as your cells desperately try to access any energy left in them to try and get the virus out.

The only cure at the moment is rest and people are currently dying regularly while trying to get better.

So personally I think we should let hospital staff off sick when they need it. We owe it to them because we couldn't cover our coughs and infected others, protect ourselves from other people or take measured steps to contain this before it was out of control.

Pat Kenny, Joe Duffy and Sean Moncreiff all off work today. Anyone else notice high-profile absences? I've been off sick myself (with a cold) the last two days and looking at getting an extension on my medical cert if I need to on Monday. I'm lucky enough to have sick pay. I wish everyone did.

Just to be clear, the symptoms you describe above are in the severe/critical group. Most people will not be in spasms as they slowly die from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 White_hills

Flew home from Spain yest, no signage or anything like that up regarding the virus in the airport we departed from. One bathroom didn't have soap in it but all of the permanent hand sanitizer units were full up and available.

Plenty of signs up in Dublin airport. I've an underlying illness so I'm watching things like a hawk.

Also went to the doc today for something else and was told that I'll know if I have it as I won't be able to catch my breath. Sounds delightful....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Flew home from Spain yest, no signage or anything like that up regarding the virus in the airport we departed from. One bathroom didn't have soap in it but all of the permanent hand sanitizer units were full up and available.

Plenty of signs up in Dublin airport. I've an underlying illness so I'm watching things like a hawk.

Thats surprising, Spain had 100 new cases today already. Over half of them in the capital

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

The number of COVID-19 patients receiving intensive care also rose to 351 from 295 on Wednesday. Around 1,100 of those infected were in isolation at home while around 1,700 were in hospital.

We couldn't cope with 20% of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

WHO director - "the only way we can beat this virus is if we stand together." surely we could put aside this globalisation idyll and actually look after our own space. It's almost as if this virus was allowed to run free.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement