Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Tomato1

NAS conducted multiple tests on suspected patients last night all over the country.

Unsure of when result's will be released but id hazard a guess we'll know tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

If God forbid a high profile person gets this it will focus more minds than a dozen ill plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Agreed. I think a lot of people who think they’ve had the flu before haven’t actually had it. Even people saying ‘it’s just a flu’ surely have not had a full blown flu as if they have had a real flu they would understand it’s nothing to be sniffed at!

I feel many cases of mistaken for ‘flu’ are just a bad dose....”Jonny has the flu so we just going to have some food, watch a film and rest on the couch for the weekend” is not a case of the flu.

In my opinion when you have the actual flu you are generally so sick you are bed bound as opposed to being able to walk around your house or even contemplate watching tv. You’re too sick to even care about watching tv or use energy to do that at its worst .I am healthy and ended up in hospital with it and was shocked at how bad it was.

This isn't true. Some people have 'the actual flu' and show no symptoms at all. For others it presents like a cold.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Pretzill wrote: »
    WHO director - "the only way we can beat this virus is if we stand together."

Well....I assume he means 2.0 metres apart....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭quokula

No worries but the difference between the numbers you quoted is actual 6X.
    I don't know many people who know how to deal with really small or really big numbers.

Its actually 60!
    3 / 0.05 = 60

But we don't know the true rate yet at this point. South Korea's death rate stands at 0.6%, and they are widely considered to have the most accurate statistics right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 White_hills

wakka12 wrote: »
    Thats surprising, Spain had 100 new cases today already. Over half of them in the capital

Yeah we were much further south where there's only a handful of cases so maybe they had lots of info in the arrivals halls rather than departures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

antodeco wrote: »
    This is exactly it. I know its not the same as flu or a cold BUT, if the media reported on how many people caught a flu or a cold each day, there would be widespread panic. The perception of fear is far greater when it is thrust into your face on a case by case basis. As i said, if the media reported each case of Flu per day, peoples perceptions of fear would be different. Again, I know this is different to flu, I am just using flu as an example.

If I purely take HIV as a sample. There are close to 40 million people with HIV in the world. You have a small chance of catching it if you have unprotected sex with someone who has it. Plenty of people still have unprotected sex, because the chances of catching it are quite low. Same as Covid19. The chances of catching it are quite low, even with relative exposure. Again, if they reported on cases of HIV around the globe per day, there would be great widespread panic that people could catch it. (Again, I know there are specific requirements to get HIV, but using this purely as an example)

The only thing is there is a direct line between numbers of cases and when governments do things like send 40,000 medics in, or open the prisons, or tell the country to stay in for the weekend, or quickly need temporary hospitals or shut down the schools or declare war.

The numbers signify a lot in a crisis that keeps repeating everywhere. We can look away but that doesn't promote our slow-moving government to act as quickly as possible or for us to be prepared. People talk about hysteria this and panic that, but imagine the shock people will get if they've been following the bloom merchants who carry the goalposts under their arms?

I have been very glad to see some medical people on here and in the media start to use their voice to prepare people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Italian Travellers roaming around the city, sure what can go wrong! This si a big mistake I hope places are using disinfectants regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

saabsaab wrote: »
    Italian Travellers roaming around the city, sure what can go wrong! This si a big mistake I hope places are using disinfectants regularly.

You've as much to fear from Irish people at this stage

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Madness. Dump them in the Liffey!

Can you imagine the free space around them in the pubs!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

What’s the Italian for: Dya wanna buy a gate?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Yes but I'd say marginal. Maybe underlying condition. Who knows.
    Doctor's tend to overwork themselves to exhaustion too which is bad for the immune system.

Interesting to see what kind of reception they'll get out and about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The black death
    AIDS
    Dr Mengele

But it's the people who mention flu who are mad and not facing reality. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

I don't think you understand what happens when you get the virus.

Dry cough at first, hacking cough you just can't shake. Tires you out and makes you breathless. Many people die because they suffocate when their lungs can't respire effectively enough to get oxygen to the cells.

A fever kicks in because your body is stressed and working overtime to protect you from the rapid spread of the virus. You'll probably be sweating buckets and are a very high infection risk at this point. Putting healthcare workers in contact with patients like this, as far as I know, increases their viral load.

Finally the muscles spasms kick in as your cells desperately try to access any energy left in them to try and get the virus out.

The only cure at the moment is rest and people are currently dying regularly while trying to get better.

So personally I think we should let hospital staff off sick when they need it. We owe it to them because we couldn't cover our coughs and infected others, protect ourselves from other people or take measured steps to contain this before it was out of control.

Pat Kenny, Joe Duffy and Sean Moncreiff all off work today. Anyone else notice high-profile absences? I've been off sick myself (with a cold) the last two days and looking at getting an extension on my medical cert if I need to on Monday. I'm lucky enough to have sick pay. I wish everyone did.

I do get that bit, if you're sick, you're sick. But my understanding was that some people are asymptomatic or close to it. Barley a sniffle.....but there is so much misinformation out there.

Doctor's tend to overwork themselves to exhaustion too which is bad for the immune system.
    Yes this and viral load

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Agreed. I think a lot of people who think they’ve had the flu before haven’t actually had it. Even people saying ‘it’s just a flu’ surely have not had a full blown flu as if they have had a real flu they would understand it’s nothing to be sniffed at!

I feel many cases of mistaken for ‘flu’ are just a bad dose....”Jonny has the flu so we just going to have some food, watch a film and rest on the couch for the weekend” is not a case of the flu.

In my opinion when you have the actual flu you are generally so sick you are bed bound as opposed to being able to walk around your house or even contemplate watching tv. You’re too sick to even care about watching tv or use energy to do that at its worst .I am healthy and ended up in hospital with it and was shocked at how bad it was.

Not true. Up to 30% may exhibit no symptoms but have the flu virus and can spread it. See point 5:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/10-flu-myths

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

The black death
    AIDS
    Dr Mengele

But it's the people who mention flu who are mad and not facing reality. Brilliant.

Three strawmen there. Well done.

Just the flu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Stop misinforming people. Yes there are more cured at this stage then there are in intensive care. However there are approx 2K in hospital now. In Lombardia there are 244 people in intensive care right now. There are 364 recovering at home.

That's 2K in hospital 364 at home. Wonder how many are mild.

We can all use percentages / comparisons to make something sound different.
    Here's a good one.

Of the 1777 people who have the disease currently in Lombary 79% are in hospital

Don't take my word for it. Get out the all calculator.

504771.png

http://www.protezionecivile.gov.it/documents/20182/1221364/Dati+Riepilogo+Nazionale+5marzo2020/a529828b-0bf0-4d5b-ad66-4669d3635a24
    I'm still very relaxed about this, although I have a feeling our numbers may double or even more later tonight when they announce and there will be a lot of hysterical people this weekend.

We've obviously failed to contain this. We actually didn't even really try did we? One rugby match cancelled. People told to self isolate only if they had symptoms.

We also have basically no actions in place to slow this thing down.
    The reality is though, most of us will be fine. It will be fairly mild for probably 80 - 85% of people. Another 10% will be more serious. Maybe 5% or less will actually die.

When all is said and done, our world leaders should really sit down together and review this. Put actions in place to stop it from happening again. Wishful thinking on my part!

Let's say that again. 80% (1413 )of those who currently have the disease (1777) are in hospital in Lombardy today. I'm sure they don't want to be there. Especially not the 244 (or 14%) in Intensive care.

Some serious head in the sand **** going on. I know it's scary but best to be real and deal with the problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

gabeeg wrote: »
    You've as much to fear from Irish people at this stage

We have nothing to fear, but fear itself.

And the Coronavirus. Fear that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Interesting to see what kind of reception they'll get out and about
    There's a local business man in my area that has just come back from Italy and not self isolated.
    Locals not happy.
    Almost ready to form a Lynch Mob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭1641

If God forbid a high profile person gets this it will focus more minds than a dozen ill plebs.

Chips with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

quokula wrote: »
    But we don't know the true rate yet at this point. South Korea's death rate stands at 0.6%, and they are widely considered to have the most accurate statistics right now.

I'm just helping people with maths. We could be talking about pineapples, same number.

How many cases are resolved in S.K? In fairness you don't know the true death rate until case closed. (i.e in an epidemic situation this leads to an underetimation)

Why has the WHO mortality rate increased to 3.4% yesterday?

Waiting to see what measures the state will decide to implement today. Washing of hands will only get us so far. Droplet and aerosol infection in mass gatherings needs to be tackled. Also allowing potential infected visitors to the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

wakka12 wrote: »
    , Spain had 100 new cases today l

Day is not over yet. 100 cases though is very serious.

It's the sh!tshow that;s gonna come out of Germany need to focus on in terms of policy changes imo.

+154 cases so far in France but Germany still in the lead there by 1.

I think today's numbers may be unsettling enough in Germany to prompt change of approach

The end of day results for Germany are going to be sobering.

I wonder how it plays out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,496 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ciao Boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Not true. Up to 30% may exhibit no symptoms but have the flu virus and can spread it. See point 5:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/10-flu-myths

Maybe I should have said I don’t think people realise how bad it can get!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Any truth in stories 5k Italians are travelling to Dublin despite the rugby game off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Scotty # wrote: »
    Correct. I jumped the gun. However, that figure is the rate in the US. The global avg could be much higher.

Flu is 0.1% which takes into account an estimate for unconfirmed infections which is more than double the confirmed ones.

Covid-19 is around 3.4% atm with no estimate of unconfirmed cases. With that estimate you could at least half that figure which would put it around 16-17 times deadlier at the moment.

That's for people who get the virus. It's supposed to be less transmissible than the flu so how much deadlier than the flu it is, is anyone's guess atm but certainly far deadlier.

Hopefully with some more effective treatments that number will drop but it could go up if it overwhelms healthcare systems across the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Waiting to see what measures the state will decide to implement today. Washing of hands will only get us so far. Droplet and aerosol infection in mass gatherings needs to be tackled. Also allowing potential infected visitors to the country

For once, just once I would like to see us lead the way in something. Its no point looking at the rest of Europe. They are rabbits stuck in headlights.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement