Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭josip

JDD wrote: »
    My husband works for a foodstuff company. For a particular line of products, they would normally get orders for approximately 25,000 boxes of the product across the country from all the supermarkets in any one week. Last week they got orders for 33,000 boxes, and they've just got this weeks orders in - 55,000 boxes.

They have the stock - unusually, because normally they run a JIT logistics strategy, but they had built up some stock as a Brexit buffer. So they can supply the supermarkets. So I'm guessing that's what's happening. The manufacturers are running down their stocks, so the shelves in most places are generally full, but that won't last.

But it will be enough because people won't consume at this rate, they're also just stocking up, the same as your husband's company.
    Whenever the worst passes, that company will have a few quiet months while people work through their stocks.
    This is a good example of why it's good to have some stock and not to be JIT all the way along the supply chain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Dcully wrote: »
    Any truth in stories 5k Italians are travelling to Dublin despite the rugby game off?

Who knows what they decide to do, but they had booked their flights and accommodation and no one is telling them not to come. So most of them will likely go ahead.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Any truth in stories 5k Italians are travelling to Dublin despite the rugby game off?

I think it was more like 2.5K were due. I suspect many will not come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

No way of telling how many will get on the flights they booked.
    If they are not getting refunds then some will try to make the most of it and visit Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Saint Ruth

Not true. Up to 30% may exhibit no symptoms but have the flu virus and can spread it. See point 5:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/10-flu-myths
    Yes, but unless you've been tested, then you don't know.

If you've got the sniffles, you most probably don't have the flu.
    If you're laid up in bed for 2 weeks thinking you're never going to feel good ever again, then you've the flu.

As frillyleaf, people who've had the flu don't go around saying they've a touch of the flu. Some people shrug off the Black Death, but I'm sure people in the middle ages didn't go around saying they'd just a "touch of the Black death" :P ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

You know, we don't have to cancel any flights.

Just tell everyone flying in from that region there is a mandatory 2 week quarantine when they land.

The logistics might be a little difficult. But most of them would not fly if they knew that was there at the end of the flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

tuxy wrote: »
    If they are not getting refunds then some will try to make the most of it and visit Ireland.

I hear they are gonna be bused down to Cork to kiss the Blarney Stone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

The Roman hoard is descending on dublinina.

Lock up you daughters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

JDD wrote: »
    My husband works for a foodstuff company. For a particular line of products, they would normally get orders for approximately 25,000 boxes of the product across the country from all the supermarkets in any one week. Last week they got orders for 33,000 boxes, and they've just got this weeks orders in - 55,000 boxes.

They have the stock - unusually, because normally they run a JIT logistics strategy, but they had built up some stock as a Brexit buffer. So they can supply the supermarkets. So I'm guessing that's what's happening. The manufacturers are running down their stocks, so the shelves in most places are generally full, but that won't last.

Does he actually work in ordering, I have worked in enough factories to know how these stories get escalated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭josip

niallo27 wrote: »
    Does he actually work in ordering, I have worked in enough factories to know how these stories get escalated.

Do you mean exaggerated ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

tuxy wrote: »

I’d say most of them will come (many must have also prepaid for accommodation) if they can’t get a refund and aren’t told not to come.

Tbh you can’t blame them ... neither Italian not Irish authorities have suggested travelling should be restricted to is a public health concern, so they wouldn’t be defying any health or travel recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

He sells easter eggs folks relax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I do place order daily and it is like Xmas in last two days ;)

Brexit stock has been cleared earlier last year, but still plenty of reserve in warehouses.

Suppliers are having good time. Now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

dan786 wrote: »
    Update:

Guidelines on the holding of mass gatherings are being discussed at a meeting of a stakeholder forum which is beginning around now.

Employer groups, trade unions, voluntary groups and civic society representatives are attending the discussion to decide how to proceed with large events in the face of the coronavirus.

It's expected the guidelines will be published sometime this evening after the meeting ends.

Good.
    Hopefully the World Irish Dance Championships will be one of the first cancelled events because there isn't a hope of them cancelling unless its government directed (I have relatives taking part).
    13,000 international visitors congregating in cramped, hot conditions in Dublin Convention Center for 10 days is the last thing we need right now. It would be a breeding ground for infection.
    Competitors/spectators come from as far afield as the US, Canada, Australia as well as mainland Europe and the UK, making it an absolute nightmare in terms of containment.
    If any of them were to get sick, we just don't have the medical resources to look after them. We barely enough to look after ourselves.

I hope the government finally asserts itself and puts a stop to any unnecessary mass gatherings. Going ahead at this point is absolute insanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Italy reports in an hour

GroundedConcreteAtlanticblackgoby-small.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I think it's going to be bad. If it affects the old and immunocompromised the most, you'll have young healthy people thinking it's just a cold and passing it on. But I really hope we get to look back at this at the end of the year and get to laugh at all the panic buying of toilet roll, hand sanitizers and masks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I hear they are gonna be bused down to Cork to kiss the Blarney Stone

They’re Italians. So they’ll probably try and ride it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

josip wrote: »
    Do you mean exaggerated ?

Nope.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Bob24 wrote: »
    I’d say most of them will come (many must have also prepaid for accommodation) if they can’t get a refund and aren’t told they shouldn’t come.

Tbh you can’t blame them ... neither Italian not Irish authorities has suggested travelling should be restricted, so they wouldn’t be defying any health or travel recommendations.

Also have to bear in mind that the vast majority of Italians do not have Covid-19.

I'm sure most booked to travel would be nervous travelling and mixing with their own kin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

DrumSteve wrote: »

Just tell everyone flying in from that region there is a mandatory 2 week quarantine when they land.

The logistics might be a little difficult. But most of them would not fly if they knew that was there at the end of the flight.

This is smart and sensible.

That is not how the powers to make that call operate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Of course the Italians will still come. Its probably safer here than at home :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

No news or rumours of any more cases in cork today anywa, besides the 60 quarantined doctors which I suppose is a good thing unless it totally changes at the announcement later on tonight.

To the person who said over 400 people have been tested in cork, where did you get that info out of a matter of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

EScBn_QWAAEyG9d?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Ciao Boss.

B:Drilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Does it boost the immune system or something?
    SHOULD WE ALL BUY HONEYCOMB?!
    Perhaps, (it's very healthy, and will store for about 2,000yrs), but ideally Bee Propolis is what you want.

Popular with the ancient Egyptians, it services as a key structure of the bee hive and its immune system.
    Bee Propolis contains resin, waxes & bioflavins and may be complimentary to human immune systems (complimentary medicine, not offical big money pharma medicine).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Is it 3 days since a case was detected in Ireland?

Already hospitals are unable to cope and are cancelling routine procedures and regular treatments.

With not even 10 confirmed cases our Healthcare system has cracked right down the middle.

This was inevitable for a healthcare system that had been operating over capacity continuously for years now, any Medium or large scale adverse event would completely overwhelm it.

Just in case anyone was under the impression that our healthcare system is anything other than third world in many aspects this should be proof enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

DrumSteve wrote: »

Them politicians wouldnt spend money to quarantine people on all them flights, theyd rather line their own pockets with hefty wage packets, fact is its this very reason why we will mostly all get infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Bank card, tap a tap a tap.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement

AFAIK in South Korea they have been washing their money for weeks now.

Reason deaths in SK have been so low (so far) is they have pulled out all the stops to try and contain the virus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement