Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Gods Gift wrote: »
    They’re Italians. So they’ll probably try and ride it.

That’s generally what people do with buses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

That's pretty much how supply chains work. If people stayed calm the factories and supply chains would keep up for the most part.

Mass panic and stockpiling will empty shops and increase panic as shelves empty leaving many without essential items.

That's why I get annoyed by people promoting ott fear and panic buying.

If 25% of people bought a month+ supply of certain items those items would go out of stock for the other 75% of people unless there were stockpiles of those items which themselves will run out eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Is it 3 days since a case was detected in Ireland?

Already hospitals are unable to cope and are cancelling routine procedures and regular treatments.

With not even 10 confirmed cases our Healthcare system has cracked right down the middle.

This was inevitable for a healthcare system that had been operating over capacity continuously for years now, any Medium or large scale adverse event would completely overwhelm it.

Just in case anyone was under the impression that our healthcare system is anything other than third world in many aspects this should be proof enough.

Well, we're at 16 I believe.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Already hospitals are unable to cope and are cancelling routine procedures and regular treatments.

With not even 10 confirmed cases our Healthcare system has cracked right down the middle.

This was inevitable for a healthcare system that had been operating over capacity continuously for years now, any Medium or large scale adverse event would completely overwhelm it.

Just in case anyone was under the impression that our healthcare system is anything other than third world in many aspects this should be proof enough.

What are you on about? You sound rabid with hyperbolic hysteria.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Not sure where you have been? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Just in case anyone was under the impression that our healthcare system is anything other than third world in many aspects this should be proof enoug
    h.

It's not 3rd world, and this does not prove anything to the effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

embraer170 wrote: »
    Meanwhile Bulgaria still has no cases at all.

It helps if you’ve tested no one.

Don't forget North Korea !!!

NO CASES!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Bank card, tap a tap a tap.
    Any idea when the €30 limit will be increased on tapping bank card at checkouts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭snotboogie

No news or rumours of any more cases in cork today anywa, besides the 60 quarantined doctors which I suppose is a good thing unless it totally changes at the announcement later on tonight.

To the person who said over 400 people have been tested in cork, where did you get that info out of a matter of interest?

There are rumours of a second case in CUH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

NO CASES!!!

Cant have cases if you don't screen for them!

1j1o2z.jpg

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So how many cases today for Ireland?

What's the juice? What's the sauce? What's the gossip?

I won't tell anyone :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

NO CASES!!!

No living ones anyway.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Also have to bear in mind that the vast majority of Italians do not have Covid-19.

I'm sure most booked to travel would be nervous travelling and mixing with their own kin!

Indeed, but out of a sample of a few thousands, The likelihood of a few people having it is high and they’ll be packed in enclosed metal tubes for 3 hours with 200 other folks on their way to ireland.

I still think most people will go anyway as they paid for their journey and most of them can’t get a refund, but I have to say I don’t think I would get on one of those flights myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭josip

niallo27 wrote: »
    Nope.

Can you explain how you would escalate a story?
    I'm having a slow afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

It’s only be 47 minuets and just a half of a case. It’s fair enough having a whinge but at least make a tiny bit of effort to get your own details right especially when you’re slamming the details of others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

NO CASES!!!

Just Nut Cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Cancellation of elective procedures across UL group raises the question as to whether it’s a follow up to cases confirmed or to be confirmed this evening or whether its to free up capacity for an increase on admissions they now KNOW is coming. It’s a 2 day thing so it sounds like deep clean?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Pretty sure they're Swiss.

I believe they work in Italy though.....definite probable carriers....:D...although their boss has the all-clear....

What are you on about? You sound rabid with hyperbolic hysteria.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0306/1120531-coronavirus/

Same story in Cork.

Healthcare system unable to handle the additional needs.
    Pretty simple really, with daily trolly numbers touching 1000 on a regular Basis our healthcare capacity is over capacity on a regular basis. Having an incident that requires a large scale public health response over whelms an already over capacity system.

Not that hard to understand really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Of course the Italians will still come. Its probably safer here than at home :)

That's what I'm thinking, why would they stay at home locked down when they can come to Dublin for the weekend and have fun

13 confirmed by the authorities by last count.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

So how many cases today for Ireland?

What's the juice? What's the sauce? What's the gossip?

I won't tell anyone :)

I am a bit worried about you Kermit. This thread is having a bad influence on you.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0306/1120531-coronavirus/

Same story in Cork.

Healthcare system unable to handle the additional needs.
    Pretty simple really, with daily trolly numbers touching 1000 on a regular Basis our healthcare capacity is over capacity on a regular basis. Having an incident that requires a large scale public health response over whelms an already over capacity system.

Not that hard to understand really.

They are cancelling elective procedures because we are dealing with a probable pandemic. Surely, this a version of planning rather than the HSE collapsing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

BloodBath wrote: »
    That's pretty much how supply chains work. If people stayed calm the factories and supply chains would keep up for the most part.
    Mass panic and stockpiling will empty shops and increase panic as shelves empty leaving many without essential items.
    That's why I get annoyed by people promoting ott fear and panic buying.
    If 25% of people bought a month+ supply of certain items those items would go out of stock for the other 75% of people unless there were stockpiles of those items which themselves will run out eventually.

Or ideally if people started to 'gradually' stock up way back in early/mid December when WuFlu was 1st announced, supply would have gradually increased as a signalled response.

The likely problem is that very soon folks will bulk buy in a single day/weekend, all a the same time, and supply can't respond to sudden, unexpected and unplanned demands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Cant have cases if you don't screen for them!

To be fair, they might be relatively well protected. It's not like their borders are very open!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I have to say I am now very worried.

I had been under the misapprension that medical treatment in China might be a bit haphazaard and somewhat behind what we have here. The truth is very different. A WHO spokesman on the podcast on bbc last night talked about measures they used in China to treat those severely affected and they were extraordinary. They widely used ECMO machines that take over all the work of the lungs filtering blood of CO2. These machines are used temporarily during transplant surgery usually. They were not always successful or very successful but the WHO guy said they were recommending states buy these machines as the most effective line of treatment for those severely ill. I wouldn't say we have a handful of those machines in the country or ppl capable of using them. This does not sound like pneumonia as we know it at all. I would expect death rates to potentially be much higher in areas not able to put such measures in places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Bob24 wrote: »
    Indeed, but out of a sample of a few thousands, The likelihood of a few people having it is high and they’ll be packed in enclosed metal tubes for 3 hours with 200 other folks on their way to ireland.

I still think people will go anyway as they paid for their journey, but I have to say I don’t think I would get on one of those flights myself.

If Italian travellers are using cash this will mix with all the other euro coins notes etc. and spread infection as well.

Is cash being disinfected in Dublin?

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Maybe I should have said I don’t think people realise how bad it can get!

Probably worded that wrongly in fairness. Yes, you can suffer terribly from the flu. I think people are always surprised by the number of silent carriers of it who are just as contagious as those with visible symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭josip

Some extra curricular activities in our primary school for next week have been cancelled.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement