Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not sure where you have been? :P

A few places.

First case Saturday 29th, 6 days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 WAZZA1989

Don't forget North Korea !!!

NO CASES!!!

One case, But he got a bullet.. So yeah, None I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Kermit I’m going for 16 confirmed today !

I really hope I’m wrong , but given the doctor in co Clare and the community case in cork I’d imagine the numbers will jump significantly over the coming days !
    So how many cases today for Ireland?

What's the juice? What's the sauce? What's the gossip?

I won't tell anyone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

It's not 3rd world, and this does not prove anything to the effect.

Spot the poster who hasn't been to a hospital recently.

• Advertisement

They are cancelling elective procedures because we are dealing with a probable pandemic. Surely, this a version of planning rather than the HSE collapsing?

You can’t deal with something that’s probable.
    You can only deal with what is actual, and our healthcare system is starting to grind to a halt for regular run of the mill treatments with 13 cases spread around the country during a “containment phase”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I think we will soon be revealing Kermit the frog as Europe’s first confirmed Coronavirus Addict.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

spot the poster who's never had the pleasure of dealing with an actual 3rd world health service :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Just to be clear, the symptoms you describe above are in the severe/critical group. Most people will not be in spasms as they slowly die from this.
    The poster I was replying to was suggesting that healthcare workers go in and work when sick. They WILL become severe if they do that and possibly create environments that the virus will thrive in with hosts happily disregarding good practice. But what else do you expect, we've thrown out all the other possible steps and are just watching as it creeps through our population now. Where will we be this time next week?

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/fighting-coronavirus-one-of-the-first-british-sufferers-describes-his-ordeal-11950631

I just did a quick Google for you. This guy had a mild dose, he was young and healthy (25) and he stopped going to work. Then one morning he woke up and couldn't breathe. Mild cases where you do everything right can result in death. This disease is not to be fncked with.

See above post RE Ivo Cilesi

No worse than a bad flu, he said. He's dead now.

spookwoman wrote: »

Refuse to self isolate, get detained to somewhere that you aren’t self isolating in.

At least someone is finding it funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

You can’t deal with something that’s probable.
    You can only deal with what is actual, and our healthcare system is starting to grind to a halt for regular run of the mill treatments with 13 cases spread around the country during a “containment phase”

FFS. It's not.

Stop with this.

It's cancelling appointments for elective or non-life threatening procedures in advance of a possible outbreak.

Damned if they do it and damned if they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

josip wrote: »
    Can you explain how you would escalate a story?
    I'm having a slow afternoon.

Ah you know what I meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

I have to say I am now very worried.

I had been under the misapprension that medical treatment in China might be a bit haphazaard and somewhat behind what we have here. The truth is very different. A WHO spokesman on the podcast on bbc last night talked about measures they used in China to treat those severely affected and they were extraordinary. They widely used ECMO machines that take over all the work of the lungs filtering blood of CO2. These machines are used temporarily during transplant surgery usually. They were not always successful or very successful but the WHO guy said they were recommending states buy these machines as the most effective line of treatment for those severely ill. I wouldn't say we have a handful of those machines in the country or ppl capable of using them. This does not sound like pneumonia as we know it at all. I would expect death rates to potentially be much higher in areas not able to put such measures in places.

Saw this myself in an article, we are f***ed when it comes to critical care at this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

spot the poster who's never had the pleasure of dealing with an actual 3rd world health service :rolleyes:

I have actually. Either way you're not getting treated. Wait all day in filth or wait all day with clean floors. That's about the difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

wakka12 wrote: »
    Belgium, Netherlands, Norway and Sweden, all have over 100 cases as of this morning, Switzerland now has over 200, France and Germany both almost 600 cases

Europe now has around 6000 cases, 3/4 of them in Italy

Wow that means that if there are 742 million people in Europe that one person in every 124,000 has contracted the Covid virus. My calculator says that is .000006% of Europe's population has the virus.

Wow those masks must be working? Or is it all the handwashing?

In Italy 4500/60,800,000 or a really tiny percentage of the population have it there also. That means one person in every 13,500 has the virus. That is like .0074 % of their population. It has to be the Lasagne , or maybe the garlic?

Crikey. No wonder the US and Russia are shítting bricks. When are those EU trade talks happening anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Thewife wrote: »
    Kermit I’m going for 16 confirmed today !

I really hope I’m wrong , but given the doctor in co Clare and the community case in cork I’d imagine the numbers will jump significantly over the coming days !

I think your prediction is a bit high - i'll sit on this lovely fence and go for 10 cases. :cool:

We should do a competition.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    FFS. It's not.

Stop with this.

It's cancelling appointments for elective or non-life threatening procedures in advance of a possible outbreak.

Damned if they do it and damned if they don't.

It’s cancelling procedures because they don’t have the personnel or capacity to deal with the additional work, which currently is very little.

If they were cancelling procedures because of a few hundred cases then fine, that’s unprecedented, but 13 people have currently been diagnosed with a bad flu and the HSE needs to cancel treatment.

What part of an over capacity healthcare system do you not understandz

International best practice is that healthcare operates at 92% of capacity on a regular basis, which allows for incidents and seasonal increases to be accommodated. We are operating at 100-101+% capacity.

That’s the problem, it’s just now we can see the Effects of it. Our healthcare system doesn’t have any capacity to handle an issue like this.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Wow that means that if there are 742 million people in Europe that one person in every 124,000 has contracted the Covid virus. My calculator says that is .000006% of Europe's population has the virus.

Wow those masks must be working? Or is it all the handwashing?

In Italy 4500/60,800,000 or a really tiny percentage of the population have it there also. That means one person in every 13,500 has the virus. That is like .0074 % of their population. It has to be the Lasagne , or maybe the garlic?

Crikey. No wonder the US and Russia are shítting bricks. When are those EU trade talks happening anyway?

Now why I'd do agree with ya for most of it, does it not scare ya a tiny bit at how fast this thing could spread.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Any idea when the €30 limit will be increased on tapping bank card at checkouts?

That's what your phone is for...

Set Up Google/Apple pay - No limit once the phone is unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Spot the posters who’ve never been in an actual third world hospital!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,521 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The guards can force people to self isolate?

Until they start coughing.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

niallo27 wrote: »
    Now why I'd do agree with ya for most of it, does it not scare ya a tiny bit at how fast this thing could spread.

It will stay as it is today forever.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

We should do a competition.

What's the prize?

It’s cancelling procedures because they don’t have the personnel or capacity to deal with the additional work, which currently is very little.

If they were cancelling procedures because of a few hundred cases then fine, that’s unprecedented, but 13 people have currently been diagnosed with a bad flu and the HSE needs to cancel treatment.

What part of an over capacity healthcare system do you not understandz

International best practice is that healthcare operates at 92% of capacity on a regular basis, which allows for incidents and seasonal increases to be accommodated. We are operating at 100-101+% capacity.

That’s the problem, it’s just now we can see the Effects of it. Our healthcare system doesn’t have any capacity to handle an issue like this.

Or maybe they are cancelling to stop people from entering possible infected areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Danger is that as the virus washes through that the health system may not be able to treat all cases effectively leading to disorder hence the Chinese decision to be very proactive early on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    That's what your phone is for...

Set Up Google/Apple pay - No limit once the phone is unlocked.

Thanks. I don't have NFC on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

How high does Italy have to go before other governments start locking down cities or towns (which, funnily enough, is what they said they would do in the delay phase)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

TBH our hospitals haven't exactly got good reports on their hygiene inspections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Can someone in the know give a take on the the effect of 60 staff at CUH isolating. We can't have too much more of that can we?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Or ideally if people started to 'gradually' stock up way back in early/mid December when WuFlu was 1st announced, supply would have gradually increased as a signalled response.

The likely problem is that very soon folks will bulk buy in a single day/weekend, all a the same time, and supply can't respond to sudden, unexpected and unplanned demands.
    There was an article in The Guardian about coronavirus fraud.

One person got scammed for £15k buying masks that were never received.

I say fnck that person. Obviously planning to sell them on but that was at least 1500 masks, and that is hoarding. No shop keeps an inventory that size, especially not one run by a single person.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement