Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Wow that means that if there are 742 million people in Europe that one person in every 124,000 has contracted the Covid virus. My calculator says that is .000006% of Europe's population has the virus.

Wow those masks must be working? Or is it all the handwashing?

In Italy 4500/60,800,000 or a really tiny percentage of the population have it there also. That means one person in every 13,500 has the virus. That is like .0074 % of their population. It has to be the Lasagne , or maybe the garlic?

Crikey. No wonder the US and Russia are shítting bricks. When are those EU trade talks happening anyway?
    They're only testing cases presenting with symptoms or known contacts of currently confirmed cases. How come you can do all that research but you can't even mentally deduce that the confirmed cases are not all of the cases? What good is it doing to skew your own perspective of it and downplay it?

Michael Ryan was red in the face and coughed his way through the whole WHO conference this afternoon. Not one minute before his female colleague was harping on about hand hygiene and sneeze etiquette, the guy in the middle rubbed his own mouth with the whole palm of his hand.

If you want to sleepwalk out of existence, feel free. It's very crowded here to be wasting resources on those who are likely to put others at risk with their complacency. I'm sure you get this all the time, but you have a very apt username.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

DOCARCH wrote: »
    What's the prize?

A night out with Piggy.

Take her!

MV5BODk3Mjk1MzI0NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTU2NjkzNw@@._V1_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

so +309 in South Korea, must be the lowest increase in a while ..

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,336 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

news paper
    Posted somewhere in thread II, iPads are where it's at for all the techie youngsters around. Should slide nicely between the cheeks.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

spookwoman wrote: »
    TBH our hospitals haven't exactly got good reports on their hygiene inspections.

Again, nothing compared to a hospital in the third world, which is what was claimed.

In hospitals in the third world you're talking about not being able to properly sterilise things, not having any isolation capacity. Completely different level.

Thinking that there's no different between this and hospitals in Ireland is braindead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

A distinctly worrying development is that we had one person in work who was suspected to be infected on Wednesday afternoon, and presumably got tested Wednesday evening. They still haven't got the results of their test, with the explanation that the HSE is under increased pressure and getting the results is taking longer than a few days ago.

How many tests a day can we actually do? 30? 50? 100? Because soon we're going to have go into the 500's and above, and there's no way people will be able to wait a week for their results.

I actually think I need to stop reading about this. I'm going to end up with an ulcer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

spookwoman wrote: »
    TBH our hospitals haven't exactly got good reports on their hygiene inspections.

Ah jaysus do you and those other posters genuinely believe that our health service as an entity is the equivilent of that of burkina faso or burma or the likes?

Cos if you do - I suggest heading over there and taking a look, maybe stay there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

DrumSteve wrote: »
    FFS. It's not.

Stop with this.

It's cancelling appointments for elective or non-life threatening procedures in advance of a possible outbreak.

Damned if they do it and damned if they don't.

The reason behind this step might become clearer tonight. It’s a 2 day closure which would contradict your assertion that it is cancelling appointments for elective or non-life threatening procedures in advance of a possible outbreak.
    An outbreak will last more than 2 days.

We might know the reason tonight.

Beasty wrote: »
    iPads are where it's at for all the techie youngsters around.

That's why they can't read (or write)

so +309 in South Korea, must be the lowest increase in a while ..

Not final figure.

Final figure is 12:30 am our time.

It will be north of 600 i'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It’s cancelling procedures because they don’t have the personnel or capacity to deal with the additional work, which currently is very little.

If they were cancelling procedures because of a few hundred cases then fine, that’s unprecedented, but 13 people have currently been diagnosed with a bad flu and the HSE needs to cancel treatment.

What part of an over capacity healthcare system do you not understandz

International best practice is that healthcare operates at 92% of capacity on a regular basis, which allows for incidents and seasonal increases to be accommodated. We are operating at 100-101+% capacity.

That’s the problem, it’s just now we can see the Effects of it. Our healthcare system doesn’t have any capacity to handle an issue like this.

Ah, are they not cancelling elective procedures just to stop people coming into hospital where there can be crowds? I doubt it’s because they don’t have the capacity to treat them. Rather that it just makes sense to hold off for now on anything not urgent. People can be vulnerable to infection after any kind of procedure including electives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Ah jaysus do you and those other posters genuinely believe that our health service as an entity is the equivilent of that of burkina faso or burma or the likes?

Cos if you do - I suggest heading over there and taking a look, maybe stay there too.

No I am not but our health system is not top notice either.
    FFS only last year there was dead bodies left on trolleys, often leaking body fluids on to the floor of the mortuary in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Amirani wrote: »
    Again, nothing compared to a hospital in the third world, which is what was claimed.

In hospitals in the third world you're talking about not being able to properly sterilise things, not having any isolation capacity. Completely different level.

Thinking that there's no different between this and hospitals in Ireland is braindead.

Yes no comparison - but the question people are pondering is that it's all very well having better hospitals than the third world - but if they become overloaded, then they're pretty useless to those who can't get into them even they badly need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Govt : St Patrick's Festival or other major events not cancelled or postponed (Gavan Reilly - VM news)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Wibbs wrote: »
    So what? Other than over prescription of antibiotics in young kids, one of the big reasons for more and more walking around chuffing inhalers allergic to their own shadows is down to too damned many clean freak OCD parents covering their little darlings and their surroundings in dettol. Christ, I know one eejit who has to wear ickle gloves to put petrol in his car in case of "germs". Live a little FFS.

I wear gloves at the gloves at the pumps, I don't know who's dick beaters have touched it. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

When is next update on German numbers due?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,772 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Snow white reduced to six dwarfs as sneezy has to self isolate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

So Leo says we should all carry on as normal. I presume ordinary citizens will make up their own minds as best they can based on the limited information from the state and hearsay on social media.

Hope for his sake no new election soon as the public might be in no humour at all.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Strazdas wrote: »
    Govt : St Patrick's Festival or other major events not cancelled or postponed (Gavan Reilly - VM news)

Is this for real?

Fuuuuuck sake.

Just ****ing cancel them already!

I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

People would just go out anyway!

It'd be like when they 'cancelled' Rag Week :pac:

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

When is next update on German numbers due?

Nein

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just heard that on the radio and apparently it's Leo's view.

That's the €€€ reason/commercial interests!

Does not sound like containment is seriously on the agenda to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

BarryD2 wrote: »
    So Leo says we should all carry on as normal. I presume ordinary citizens will make up their own minds as best they can based on the limited information from the state and hearsay on social media.

Did he actually say this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

We need a new government if that's their view... oh wait

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

In case anyone is interested (or travelling to America), the Nurses Union there are fighting back against the dangerous inadequacy of how the current administration is handling this situation. Pretty bleak stuff.

https://god.dailydot.com/sick-nurse-denied-coronavirus-test-after-caring-for-an-infected-patient/?fbclid=IwAR2MQgI3Vqpl4D2j0AnoPpSA0cNX4suf_BaaRxCYNCeNWucgpFsAwn1m8ng

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Just heard that on the radio and apparently it's Leo's view.

That's the €€€ reason/commercial interests!

Does not sound like containment is seriously on the agenda to me?

I genuinely despair.

****ing hell, just stop big events and get togethers for a few weeks while we get a handle on it. It's not too much to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Thewife wrote: »
    Kermit I’m going for 16 confirmed today !

I really hope I’m wrong , but given the doctor in co Clare and the community case in cork I’d imagine the numbers will jump significantly over the coming days !
    As in 16 new cases?

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Yes no comparison - but the question people are pondering is that it's all very well having better hospitals than the third world - but if they become overloaded, then they're pretty useless to those who can't get into them even they badly need to.

https://twitter.com/INMO_IRL/status/1235880325521321984?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

15 mins till Italy *shakes*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement