Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Strazdas wrote: »
    Govt : St Patrick's Festival or other major events not cancelled or postponed (Gavan Reilly - VM news)

People are now going to realise this is a business first, people second country.

As if the homeless and trolleys weren't a big enough clue before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

People would just go out anyway!

It'd be like when they 'cancelled' Rag Week :pac:

Indeed, you can't actually 'cancel' St Patrick's Day (this doesn't seem to have occurred to the people demanding it be scrapped).

It's a national holiday, everyone is off work, towns and cities will be crowded along with loads of tourists, pubs will packed etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Stateofyou wrote: »
    In case anyone is interested (or travelling to America), the Nurses Union there are fighting back against the dangerous inadequacy of how the current administration is handling this situation. Pretty bleak stuff.

https://god.dailydot.com/sick-nurse-denied-coronavirus-test-after-caring-for-an-infected-patient/?fbclid=IwAR2MQgI3Vqpl4D2j0AnoPpSA0cNX4suf_BaaRxCYNCeNWucgpFsAwn1m8ng

In democracies we have these added complications. At one hospital in South Korea 16 nurses quit because of fatigue and working conditions iirc

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

fr336 wrote: »
    15 mins till Italy *shakes*

:eek: Are you a seismologist!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

spookwoman wrote: »

Right. Well you know all the people that - quite fairly - say we should put our faith in the HSE and various experts that are in charge?

They're wrong. Our experts are going to get thousands of people unnecessarily sick and/or dead.
    That is a terrible, terrible decision.

Hopefully it'll be huge floats driving slowly down empty streets. Sure how can you have a bloody celebration when the planet is in crisis and people are dying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

Coronavirus: Facebook closes London offices after employee diagnosed.

Facebook is closing its three London offices and telling staff to work from home after an employee was diagnosed with COVID-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Are all hospitals now stopping visitors? I read that Navan hospital is "in accordance with HSE guidelines".

Would make sense if all hospitals doing this? Unless it's only happening where there was a suspected case?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

fr336 wrote: »
    15 mins till Italy *shakes*

What's the link to see the map of cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

BarryD2 wrote: »
    So Leo says we should all carry on as normal. I presume ordinary citizens will make up their own minds as best they can based on the limited information from the state and hearsay on social media.

Hope for his sake no new election soon as the public might be in no humour at all.............

Well an election would be a sure fire way to spread the virus, getting everyone to go to a polling station, infect the staff their, and they pass it on to voters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

So they recon thousands of people gathering together isn’t an issue and that it won’t cause a problem.
    Clear to see money is more of a priority than people’s health in this country.
    Sure it will be only be the old and weak that the virus might infect .. the country could do with a clear out
    **** sake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

gabeeg wrote: »
    Right. Well you know all the people that - quite fairly - say we should put our faith in the HSE and various experts that are in charge?

They're wrong. Our experts are going to get thousands of people unnecessarily sick and/or dead.
    That is a terrible, terrible decision.

Hopefully it'll be huge floats driving slowly down empty streets. Sure how can you have a bloody celebration when the planet is in crisis and people are dying.

Also add

NEW: Varadkar says Ireland may ask retired health workers to return to service in the weeks ahead if the need arises

A group that would be in the higher risk bracket.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Wibbs wrote: »
    Nope 50-60 bracket. And again a good example of myths in action. Contrary to popular belief, people didn't die in their thirties in the past. Outside of times when waves of plagues were in fashion the longevity stats were heavily skewed by the appalling childhood mortality rates. For most of human history most people could expect to see 60 or 70 once they survived childhood and adolescence. Remember the Sermon on the Mount story? "The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years", so 70 and 80 years of age. This was aimed at a first century audience of mostly peasants.

My apologies and thanks for the info. Didn't realise it was you Wibbs - Aviation forum or am I mixing you up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

m17 wrote: »
    This had been the longest week ever

Wait til next week; the fun is only beginning. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

dan786 wrote: »
    Coronavirus: Facebook closes London offices after employee diagnosed.

Facebook is closing its three London offices and telling staff to work from home after an employee was diagnosed with COVID-19.

Don’t touch your Face(book), nose and mouth.
    Isn’t that the advise

Strazdas wrote: »
    Indeed, you can't actually 'cancel' St Patrick's Day (this doesn't seem to have occurred to the people demanding it be scrapped).

It's a national holiday, everyone is off work, towns and cities will be crowded along with loads of tourists, pubs will packed etc.

You can, as they have done before, cancel the official festivities that cause tens of thousands to line the streets in close proximity to each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭steve-o

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I genuinely despair.

****ing hell, just stop big events and get togethers for a few weeks while we get a handle on it. It's not too much to ask.

Don’t you know that you can only catch it if you are within 1 to 2 metres of a carrier for 15 minutes. The experts said so. So if everyone keeps shuffling around in the crowd then no one can catch it. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I'd gladly never touch Facebook again to avoid Coronavirus...actually, I'd do it anyway.

Also add

NEW: Varadkar says Ireland may ask retired health workers to return to service in the weeks ahead if the need arises

To be fair I don't think that's the worst idea. You obviously don't put the oldies working with CV cases though. They'll be deployed to hopefully keep some semblance of regular health care going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

MastiffMrs wrote: »
    Are all hospitals now stopping visitors? I read that Navan hospital is "in accordance with HSE guidelines".

Would make sense if all hospitals doing this? Unless it's only happening where there was a suspected case?

Not all but a lot are. That in itself puts a lot of pressure on HSE staff. My father was in hospital for 3 weeks there last year. He needed a lot done for him and we did it even though he was in the hospital and staff were supposed to do it.
    To be fair I don't think that's the worst idea. You obviously don't put the oldies working with CV cases though. They'll be deployed to hopefully keep some semblance of regular health care going.

In the UK a lot of these older workers refused the call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Downlinz wrote: »
    People are now going to realise this is a business first, people second country.

The parade will be cancelled no doubt at all in my mind. They seem very naive thinking both our cases won't do big jumps and the case rises in countries in Europe won't spook everybody. A day is becoming a long time now.

• Advertisement

My granny turns 101 in 23 days. We have a little 'party' organised. (Like 10 people!!) Suspect it won't be happening now. Shame not to mark such a big day. Don't care about the get together aspect, but I imagine the nursing home will have to close their doors before then (as they do for the flu) and we won't even see her.

Yep the home is closed. They were very prompt. The announcement that all nursing homes should close went out and within ten minutes we had a text letting us know. Bit sad we won't see her on the big day but I'm definitely glad this is being done. No point in putting the residents at unnecessary risk. Of course there is still risk with changing staff etc but that's just life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

harr wrote: »
    So they recon thousands of people gathering together isn’t an issue and that it won’t cause a problem.
    Clear to see money is more of a priority than people’s health in this country.
    Sure it will be only be the old and weak that the virus might infect .. the country could do with a clear out
    **** sake

It may be an issue but if you go down the route of saying gatherings of people are a health risk, then you would have to shut the entire country down - big sporting events, concerts, conferences, cinemas, theatres

There is an argument too that this would merely freak out the panic brigade even more, rather than do anything to calm them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

No news or rumours of any more cases in cork today anywa, besides the 60 quarantined doctors which I suppose is a good thing unless it totally changes at the announcement later on tonight.

To the person who said over 400 people have been tested in cork, where did you get that info out of a matter of interest?

If true those 400 will have to be tested routinely for 3-4 weeks more, and if one happens to test positive, contact tracing put in place.

I hope the HSE don't think a once off test is enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,521 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I was against the idea at first, but maybe a cross party task force would not be a bad idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Guess Italy's figures before they come out in a few minutes.

A night with Mrs Piggy (to take forever) on the line for the closest. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭Nermal

Downlinz wrote: »

What do you think pays for housing and trolleys? Business does come first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

You can, as they have done before, cancel the official festivities that cause tens of thousands to line the streets in close proximity to each other.

I suppose the Paddy's Day foot & mouth cancellation was because of the perceived threat to the agriculture industry. So business was at stake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Also add

Thinking 2 steps head. Good man. They are the expendables. Knock off a few billion in pension obligations to boot. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭secman

2001 Paddy's Festival was cancelled and rescheduled on the June bank holiday weekend and it was even better due to better weather. But that was done to prevent Irish cattle picking up a virus , the foot and mouth one..but hey this virus only affects us mere humans so NO cancellation this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Not final figure.

Final figure is 12:30 am our time.

It will be north of 600 i'd imagine.

But it;s ****ing 1.53 am there what the **** like ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement