Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The parade will be cancelled no doubt at all in my mind.

'Will be kept under review'....apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The parade will be cancelled no doubt at all in my mind. They seem very naive thinking both our cases won't do big jumps and the cases rises in countries in Europe won't spook everybody. A day is becoming a long time now.

But if you cancel the parade(s), then you have to cancel loads of events on March 18th too.

Merely shutting down the parade would look like a PR stunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

gabeeg wrote: »
    To be fair I don't think that's the worst idea. You obviously don't put the oldies working with CV cases though. They'll be deployed to hopefully keep some semblance of regular health care going.

All it takes is one person to get it and then look what happened here we have 60 now in self isolation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

spookwoman wrote: »
    Also add

NEW: Varadkar says Ireland may ask retired health workers to return to service in the weeks ahead if the need arises

A group that would be in the higher risk bracket.....

So he sees a problem and asking retired health workers back, yet St. Patrick's Day is just over a week away and he sees no problem with it going ahead. Ireland won't be any different to the rest of Europe. I'm all for a parade in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Yep the home is closed. They were very prompt. The announcement that all nursing homes should close went out and within ten minutes we had a text letting us know. Bit sad we won't see her on the big day but I'm definitely glad this is being done. No point in putting the residents at unnecessary risk. Of course there is still risk with changing staff etc but that's just life.

Reschedule for when it all blows over. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Strazdas wrote: »
    But if you cancel the parade(s), then you have to cancel loads of events on March 18th too.

I dunno because countries like Germany and France will have developed more.They and Italy will have taken pretty drastic measures which will be very hard to ignore.

The public consciousness will have changed a lot in a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I am due to go to the Mater on Monday afternoon to do some urgent blood tests and it now looks like it might not happen.

https://twitter.com/PaulQuinnNews/status/1235922219018211329?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭secman

It was done very successfully in 2001, moved it to June bank holiday weekend... but that was to protect cattle.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

It may be an issue but if you go down the route of saying gatherings of people are a health risk, then you would have to shut the entire country down - big sporting events, concerts, conferences, cinemas, theatres

There is an argument too that this would merely freak out the panic brigade even more, rather than do anything to calm them
    Maybe but the likes of the paddy’s festival is bringing in thousands of over sees visitors, yes they probably will still come but at least you won’t have them crammed into a packed parade route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,521 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nermal wrote: »
    What do you think pays for housing and trolleys? Business does come first.

By minimizing the outbreak and hoping to kill the spread ASAP does put business first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,905 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I wear gloves at the gloves at the pumps, I don't know who's dick beaters have touched it. :eek:

You could say that about pretty much every single item you ever touch outside of your house :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

Yep the home is closed. They were very prompt. The announcement that all nursing homes should close went out and within ten minutes we had a text letting us know. Bit sad we won't see her on the big day but I'm definitely glad this is being done. No point in putting the residents at unnecessary risk. Of course there is still risk with changing staff etc but that's just life.
    Can you get someone inside to set up skype or something on the day as a big surprise?

I dunno because countries like Germany and France will have developed more and them and Italy will have taken pretty drastic measures which will be very hard to ignore.

The public consciousness will have changed a lot in a week.

But as I say, the obsession with cancelling the parade is quite bizarre. It's a two hour event.....there are large gatherings of people every day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

skimpydoo wrote: »
    I am due to go to the Mater on Monday afternoon to do some urgent blood tests and it now looks like it might not happen.

Just got a call from my Dad, Naas Hospital has similar restrictions as of this afternoon. My Mam is in there with pneumonia for the past 5 weeks. He thinks it is precautionary as opposed to a suspected case

It may be an issue but if you go down the route of saying gatherings of people are a health risk, then you would have to shut the entire country down - big sporting events, concerts, conferences, cinemas, theatres

There is an argument too that this would merely freak out the panic brigade even more, rather than do anything to calm them
    Fock the panic brigade. Something has to be done to stop things getting out of control and shutting down gatherings is the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Boggles wrote: »
    By minimizing the outbreak and hoping to kill the spread ASAP does put business first.

Exactly, notice what big multinationals do when they get one case - everybody work from home now

But I understand SMEs will have a hell of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

62 years old. Would be in a higher risk age group unfortunately.

he died within 3 days after having the initial first mild symptoms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

spookwoman wrote: »
    Also add

NEW: Varadkar says Ireland may ask retired health workers to return to service in the weeks ahead if the need arises

A group that would be in the higher risk bracket.....
    And many retired nurses are no longer on the register .So they would be working illegally because they are not registered

harr wrote: »
    Maybe but the likes of the paddy’s festival is bringing in thousands of over sees visitors, yes they probably will still come but at least you won’t have them crammed into a packed parade route

For two hours - risk of picking up the corona virus along a two mile route is probably minimal.

Town will be crowded that day anyway (for the entire day).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Seems to just be visitors so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Just heard that a local nursing home here in Dublin is restricting visiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

People would just go out anyway!

It'd be like when they 'cancelled' Rag Week :pac:

I think they did that in Cork one year. Both UCC and CIT students organised their own rag week.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

It's not 3rd world, and this does not prove anything to the effect.

I really don’t like when people compare our health system to the third world as it really undermines how awful the condition in developing countries actually are. It shouldn’t be in the state it is but by no means is it third world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

gabeeg wrote: »

Hopefully it'll be huge floats driving slowly down empty streets. Sure how can you have a bloody celebration when the planet is in crisis and people are dying.

The planet is not in crisis. There are 8 billion people on earth. A minuscule number of people have been infected and an even more minuscule amount have died. The vast majority, by a wide margin, of people who get this will be absolutely fine. It's not the walking dead. Get some perspective.

By all means, take precautions -social distancing, hand washing etc. Plan for potentially staying at home for a couple of weeks. But all the complete hyperbole about how we're all going to die etc is ridiculous.

Well then you cancel loads of events. It's not rocket science, it just takes someone with balls to do this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

But as I say, the obsession with cancelling the parade is quite bizarre. It's a two hour event.....there are large gatherings of people every day of the week.

Impossible to contact trace an event that size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

The usual fake razor blade people on Henry Street have changed over to selling face masks hahahaha this is pathetic.

€3 each or 2 for €5.....I'll be posting this in bargain alerts lol

Well then you cancel loads of events. It's not rocket science, it just takes someone with balls to do this.

I can understand the arguments for doing it, but several experts have disagreed with the scientists proposing it and said the psychological effects on the nation could well outweigh any positives.

Ireland is not a near dictatorship like China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Guess Italy's figures before they come out in a few minutes.

A night with Mrs Piggy (to take forever) on the line for the closest. :pac:

WTF is wrong with you really?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Govt : St Patrick's Festival or other major events not cancelled or postponed (Gavan Reilly - VM news)

Is this for real. There's a health crisis unfolding right across the world that will go down in history like the Spanish flu. 1000s of our European neighbours are sick with a new viral disease, and our government wants to continue with celebrations of at Patricks day. Very very very low of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement