Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    WTF is wrong with you really?

Get lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

SusanC10 wrote: »
    That's slightly higher than yesterday. Could it be plateauing there ?

When we get 3/4 days of small or no increases ill feel better, Monday looked like it was dropping and then boom ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Leo has to be reminded he's skating on thin ice

it's lower than yesterday

It's higher (yesterday +769, 41 deaths)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

Why does this government value human life so little?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Ludo wrote: »
    Can't find any verification Cork has cancelled parade. Youghal and Cobh, yes. But not Cork itself.

My apologies,
    I didn't read it properly, it's youghal and Middleton.

Was in too much of a hurry to not miss out on a fast moving thread..
    I'll go back and fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Yeah so should you. Most people recover from this just fine. It's not the end of the human race.

I've been in these silly arguments all week with people who haven't done their research and I'm getting a bit weary of it.

This is not just about the death toll from coronavirus, as awful as that might be.
    It's much worse than that.

I'll leave it for you to find out what I might be talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

spookwoman wrote: »
    Also add

NEW: Varadkar says Ireland may ask retired health workers to return to service in the weeks ahead if the need arises

A group that would be in the higher risk bracket.....

Yes, now that they’ve primed people we can expect the real preparations and scale to become clear over the next few weeks to month.

Long story short we’ll still be fine mostly but this quiescent attitude that has been fostered will be shattered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It gets much worse before it gets better. People who die usually do so in a week to 10 days after symptoms. It takes up to a month to recover so recovery numbers are way behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Supercell wrote: »
    At this stage, its gone native anyhow, the parade isn't going to affect that, maybe speed up the inevitable? Honestly think its not worth the business impact to cancel it now given that.

I think this is what Business is aiming for. Delay decision until they can claim it will make no difference anyway.

It’s completely cynical and self centered and as for speeding up the inevitable it’s good to have yet again the contempt of the business class for ordinary vulnerable Irish people made clear. It would be nice if the businesses expecting to have this event continue to suit them could reap the rewards from Irish people for their attitude on the 364 other days in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Get lost

you understand it's people you are talking about? it's not a video game
    WTF mate?

WTF mate?

It's just gallows humour

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

has the UK confirmed their numbers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

TTLF wrote: »
    has the UK confirmed their numbers?

Yes 3 hours ago, now at 163.

gabeeg wrote: »
    It's just gallows humour

so if there is a war are you gonna play the game how many do you think will get killed tonight?

WTF mate?

I really don't know what you are on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I was in an hospital in the Philippines for 2 days, the standards were way higher than here actualy

In general developing countries have very poor access to healthcare or have poor resources to provide needed healthcare.

so if there is a war are you gonna play the game how many do you think will get killed tonight?

I'm afraid that kind of thing is not beyond be.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I wear gloves at the gloves at the pumps, I don't know who's dick beaters have touched it. :eek:
    504808.gif

Please tell me you're joking....

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

gabeeg wrote: »
    To be fair I don't think that's the worst idea. You obviously don't put the oldies working with CV cases though. They'll be deployed to hopefully keep some semblance of regular health care going.

Actually they’ll be out into those positions. What is going to happen is mass infection of health care workers - eg I fully expect to be infected - and the returnees will be slotted in to replace staff who are self-isolating and sick.

In a situation like this they’ll just be slotted in as individual replacements and they’ll perform their tasks in role - eg consultant, NCHD, nurse etc.

I’m also expecting lots of non-essential services will have NCHDs and nurses taken off them to be sent to a&e and the dedicated wards which will be set up for COVID19.

I expect a lot of non-essential teams will be down to a consultant and a bare bones nursing complement soon.

This is precisely as it should be. I think it is good that these sorts of steps (visiting bans, elective surgery cancellations) are being made public so as to ensure people take the social isolation and handwashing seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Couldn't agree more. Although going to tesco in midst of a viral outbreak where some infected person touched your cornflakes. You wouldn't be long in running out of disinfectant or catching it.

At least one person more or less laughed at me when I said I was wiping down all my shopping purchases with a detergent laden sponge before putting them away then microwaving the sponge till it was steaming, then washing my hands again.

frillyleaf wrote: »
    In general developing countries have very poor access to healthcare or do have poor resources to provide needed healthcare.

They often have excellent hospitals, but you need money to access them. Same in US

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

JDD wrote: »
    A distinctly worrying development is that we had one person in work who was suspected to be infected on Wednesday afternoon, and presumably got tested Wednesday evening. They still haven't got the results of their test, with the explanation that the HSE is under increased pressure and getting the results is taking longer than a few days ago.

How many tests a day can we actually do? 30? 50? 100? Because soon we're going to have go into the 500's and above, and there's no way people will be able to wait a week for their results.

I actually think I need to stop reading about this. I'm going to end up with an ulcer.

That's more probably than getting the virus.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

frillyleaf wrote: »
    In general developing countries have very poor access to healthcare or do have poor resources to provide needed healthcare.
    and/or many have great healthcare, if you can afford it. Often a huge wealth gap in such places.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The Italian's figures are cause for some slight optimism

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Further to Leo's disasterous decision.
    Should he have cancelled it, would people be up in arms saying he overreacted?
    i doubt it. Id say many would defend and welcome it. You know being proactive and displaying leadership. Triats you would expect.

So hes obviously been persuaded by other concerns; monetary concerns, notably hoteliers and the vintners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

DrumSteve wrote: »
    The Italian's figures are cause for some slight optimism

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Varadkar has been horrendous through all of this, zero leadership or reassurance whatsoever. Only offering lies to prevent panic and an almost sinister lack of compassion to avoid taking any sort of containment measures which could affect business.

Classic Irish mentality "Ah sure it's grand, we'll have one for the road."

I have yet to see a single sliver of evidence that this country is proactively doing anything to combat this.

• Advertisement

No, you can expect absolute and relative increases to continue increasing for a while yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement