Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,521 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If Leo has decided that it's business as usual.

Then he needs to get his arsé on the 6 o'clock news and explain exactly how and why that decision has been made.

They can wheel out the HSE afterwards.

Time for actual leadership from the leader of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Why does this government value human life so little?

This thread is like a comments section under a news article on Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    How so?

because they are almost half of yesterday's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

DrumSteve wrote: »
    The Italian's figures are cause for some slight optimism

They are higher than yesterday but not that much - flattening? .

That's the only vague optimistic note.

Otherwise pretty disasterous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Get lost
    Mic 1972 wrote: »
    you understand it's people you are talking about? it's not a video game
    WTF mate?

He should have said hop it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

The Italian's figures are cause for some slight optimism

Only if it continues to trend downward tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

How so?

They didn't double.

The figures are an increase on yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Acosta

flynnlives wrote: »
    Further to Leo's disasterous decision.
    Should he have cancelled it, would people be up in arms saying he overreacted?
    i doubt it. Id say many would defend and welcome it. You know being proactive and displaying leadership. Triats you would expect.

So hes obviously been persuaded by other concerns; monetary concerns, notably hoteliers and the vintners.

We don't have leaders, just the highest paid caretakers in the world.

Above all else, Paddy must get paid.

Wouldn't it be great if our national holiday was more than just another excuse for greed and tax revenue? Our health is our wealth and maybe putting the health of Irish people in front of any other vested interest, for one day, in one year, might be the good political and ethical decision to make?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Actually they’ll be out into those positions. What is going to happen is mass infection of health care workers - eg I fully expect to be infected - and the returnees will be slotted in to replace staff who are self-isolating and sick.

60 in one go was rough today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/06/this-is-surreal-italian-towns-struggle-under-coronavirus-lockdown
    The heavily pregnant wife of “patient 1”, the 38-year-old man who was Italy’s first confirmed locally transmitted case, was dismissed from hospital on Thursday; her husband, a marathon runner and amateur footballer, remains in intensive care.

what the actual ****? that 38 year old fit lad is still in ICU .... jesus h fu*cking christ on a bike ...

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Only if it continues to trend downward tomorrow.

Downward?

They have gone up!?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,257 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Beasty wrote: »
    Posted somewhere in thread II, iPads are where it's at for all the techie youngsters around. Should slide nicely between the cheeks.....

Lovely for spreading things too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

spookwoman wrote: »
    Also add

NEW: Varadkar says Ireland may ask retired health workers to return to service in the weeks ahead if the need arises

A group that would be in the higher risk bracket.....

Great, we're about to start calling up the Fukushima Fifty, but the parade's still grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭daheff

That's a 4.25% death rate...

nope. thats new cases vs closed cases. anything between 0 and 100% of those new cases could result in death.

italy as of yesterdays data had 4747 diagnosed, 414 cured and 148 dead. thats 148/414 =35.75% mortality rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

They didn't double.

It could simply be that the scale of Italian health officials to test for COVID-19 has reached capacity, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Wouldn't it be great if our national holiday was more than just another excuse for greed and tax revenue? Our health is our wealth and maybe putting the health of Irish people in front of any other vested interest, for one day, in one year, might be the good political and ethical decision to make?

If me and you and others concluded this then so did Leo, yet he choose the other course.

Says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I think I'd rather go under reactor 4 of Chernobly and roll about in the corioum of the Elephants foot than go to bleedin Italy !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

What are you talking about? They have increased and the deaths are up +25% on yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,335 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I agree with the acting Taoiseach fully. Even the public health professionals on TV every night were saying setting off an economic bomb would hurt more people indirectly than the virus itself.

Yes I understand about vulnerable groups, senior citizens and those with underlying conditions, but its far better that those people limit their own interaction with general population than the whole Country stop normal life. For St Patricks week each event needs to be taken on its merits and considered prudent or not, not a blanket ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/06/this-is-surreal-italian-towns-struggle-under-coronavirus-lockdown

what the actual ****? that 38 year old fit lad is still in ICU .... jesus h fu*cking christ on a bike ...

Not just that, the ICU stays can be as much 20 - 28 days. Dr Mike Ryan was warning the world the other day, implying these lengthy stays weren't complete outliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

They often have excellent hospitals, but you need money to access them. Same in US

Yes, people most can’t access the healthcare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

There’s a load of Italians on my bus home from the airport, that’s it I’m f*****d!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

You should stay clear of the numbers :D

The cause for optimism, I think, is that the rate of increase has dramatically slowed. We'd need to see a continuation of slowing growth and/or decline in growth numbers over the next few days for it to be justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

I do love the tone of the news

Everything is fine and we see no need to cancel the Patricks day festival.

Oh and we might need the armed forces to be called in and recently retired medical professionals to come back to work "soon"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

The figures are an increase on yesterday.

Italy had more than 1K new cases yesterday, today a lot less

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Boggles wrote: »
    Time for actual leadership from the leader of the country.
    Ah jaysus B, that's too sensible and too much to ask from an Irish politician, never mind someone like Leo. He's grand at the glad handing and supporting fashionable causes, so long as he knows the wind of the electorate and the media are blowing behind him on said causes, but beyond that... So no real change from most politicians.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think I'd rather go under reactor 4 of Chernobly and roll about in the corioum of the Elephants foot than go to bleedin Italy !!
    :pac::pac::D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Downward?

They have gone up!?

Yes but they havent doubled which people thought they would, it doesn't have to be all bad news.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement