Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

DrumSteve wrote: »
    They didn't double.

No but given they arent counting asymptomatic cases and the numbers are still going up (deaths ever increasing) then I wouldn't call the numbers optimistic just yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Downward?

They have gone up!?

Sorry, I meant form a percentage increase standpoint. It's obviously not good news, just trying to find a silver lining.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Summer2020

St Patrick’s day parade to go ahead. I think they’ll end up reversing this decision by Monday due to The rise in number of cases and end up looking stupid. Very few will take the risk to attend this parade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Tomrota wrote: »
    It could simply be that the scale of Italian health officials to test for COVID-19 has reached capacity, perhaps?

Yeah could be.

There definitely is a point that arrives where it's impossible to follow exponential growth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

You should stay clear of the numbers :D

I'm quite familiar with the numbers for the top countries, italy and Iran had both more than 1K new cases yesterday, Italy was ahead of Iran
    Today Italy has around 700 new cases. To me that's a lower number

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Is there a reason why Italy's cases are so high compared to other countries outside of China and South Korea. It's very frightening how numbers keep going up there. Did nobody tell them to wash their hands?

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Italy had more than 1K new cases yesterday, today a lot less

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Tomrota wrote: »
    It could simply be that the scale of Italian health officials to test for COVID-19 has reached capacity, perhaps?
    4000 tests were done today, which found 620 positives
    https://lab24.ilsole24ore.com/coronavirus/
    tamponi giornalieri = tests done in a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,878 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

No they didn't.

They had 769 new cases yesterday and 41 deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Absolutely extraordinary that the plug isn't being pulled on Paddy's day parades at this juncture.

Words fail sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Source?

worldometer, you need to check it daily, they don't store by-country stats frmo previous days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Italy yesterday: BREAKING: Italy reports 769 new cases of coronavirus and 41 new deaths, raising total to 3,858 cases and 148 dead

Italy Today: BREAKING: Italy reports 778 new cases of coronavirus and 49 new deaths, raising total to 4,636 cases and 197 dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭blueskys

I have a friend in cuba, he said any ships/planes entering there with passengers have a 24hr quarantine before actually going into the country. This has been in place since January. This is why they have 0 cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I was listening to RTE news yesterday and they were playing it down of course, but also the most worrying thing was the "racism" and "stigmatism" Chinese and Italian people were getting.

Yes, that's right Mr. Harris, it's not that Ireland has about 10 ICU beds and will soon need 1000, it's the mean looks Chinese people are getting on the streets thats the worrying thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Is there a reason why Italy's cases are so high compared to other countries outside of China and South Korea. It's very frightening how numbers keep going up there. Did nobody tell them to wash their hands?

Italian culture like kissing greetings certainly contributes I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Its a backlog, the results of quarantine /social distancing and non pharmaceutical measures wont be seen until 6 weeks or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,496 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Summer2020 wrote: »
    St Patrick’s day parade to go ahead. I think they’ll end up reversing this decision by Monday due to The rise in number of cases and end up looking stupid. Very few will take the risk to attend this parade

But "kept under review", so much splinters from that fence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

deise08 wrote: »
    Cork City and youghal have cancelled their parades.
    I think the rest of the city/counties should each come out and do the same.
    Who's in charge of Dublin?
    Would it be the mayors or city/ county boards?

It's not like the other stuff that goes on around the country (I think).
    Dublin would not allowed govern itself for something that big.
    According to St. Patricks Day Festival website it's a mish-mash of the Dublin City Council (Local authority), Bord Failte (Quango) and Central government (Dept. of Arts Heritage and the Gaeltacht) funding it.
    So it would be government that make decisions on it I expect (unlike other events for that day around the country).

worldometer, you need to check it daily, they don't store by-country stats frmo previous days

I do check it daily. You must have looked at Iran for that 1k+ figure.

• Advertisement

Perhaps they have the stronger strain ?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Stepaside parade has been cancelled. Think there’s going to be a back track on the Dublin one within days. Absolute madness. All about money, tourism and the economy with no thought to public health.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

because they are almost half of yesterday's

Testing lab overloaded?
    Did they give the number of -ve results?

In positive news I think it unlikely now that new cases would be in double figures tonight because something (or cases) would have leaked by now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Maybe St. Patrick's Day parades will go ahead behind closed doors?

I do check it daily. You must have looked at Iran for that 1k+ figure.

That was today for Iran, not yesterday though.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Maybe St. Patrick's Day parades will go ahead behind closed doors?

:D:D !!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Would be nice if they provided raw data for export.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Testing lab overloaded?
    Did they give the number of -ve results?

Very similar numbers 2 days in a row could well mean lab/testing capability at capacity rather than a plateau in cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

No but given they arent counting asymptomatic cases and the numbers are still going up (deaths ever increasing) then I wouldn't call the numbers optimistic just yet...

The data on those who do not have symptoms is available: 1060 positive and in quarantine

Official table: 3916 total positives - 2394 with symptoms and hospitalised - 462 in intensive care = 1060 positive and in quarantine

http://www.protezionecivile.gov.it/documents/20182/1221364/Dati+Riepilogo+Nazionale+6marzo2020/6fb1c948-b21c-4cfd-9343-181c147df679

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement