Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Don't the upcoming allowed 'mass' gatherings fly in the face of the 'containment' phase I've been listening to for the past few weeks?

Never mind me mentioning the fact that hundreds/thousands of people from Europe's covid-19 hotspot are wandering all over Dublin tonight/across the weekend.
    What was the point in cancelling the match.

Dr. Varadkar could maybe step down from playing at 'leader'* of the country and help the cause instead of asking for high risk category retired doctors/nurses to step in when it gets out of hand.
    His two hands have to be better use doing that than making error after error.

*Yes, I know he's acting leader but this is taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

That was today for Iran, not yesterday though.

Fair, I've no idea where he got that figure from so.

Could well be that Italy is at maximum current testing ability.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Perhaps they have the stronger strain ?

Didn't our cases come from Italy? So would we end up with the stronger strain of the virus as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Breaking news, 7 new cases in Tralee general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I suppose the Paddy's Day foot & mouth cancellation was because of the perceived threat to the agriculture industry. So business was at stake.
    secman wrote: »
    2001 Paddy's Festival was cancelled and rescheduled on the June bank holiday weekend and it was even better due to better weather. But that was done to prevent Irish cattle picking up a virus , the foot and mouth one..but hey this virus only affects us mere humans so NO cancellation this time.

I wish to fook people would stop commenting about farming related issues when they know sweet fook all about farming.

Foot and mouth can have devastating consequences and it isn't just some trite shyte that cows matter more to the government, or more specifically FG/FF, than people.

Britain a country way less dependent on the agri sector cancelled lots of events due to foot and mouth.
    In 2001 they cancelled the end of the British Rally championship, Chelthenham races were cancelled.
    The general election was delayed by a month.

And why ?

Well here is a snippet of just how devastating it is to animals.
    In Britain they culled over 6 million cows and sheep.
    They were killing 80,000 - 93,000 animals per week with the help of the army.

Just imagine if it had take hold here and how black the sky would be with the fires .

This is the price of foot and mouth disease.

foot-and-mouth-burning-261268.jpg

carcasses-of-cattle-infected-in-the-foot-and-mouth-disease-epidemic-are-prepared-for-burning-prestwick-hall-farm-ponteland-newcastle-britain-shutterstock-editorial-333242g.jpg

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

secman wrote: »
    It was done very successfully in 2001, moved it to June bank holiday weekend... but that was to protect cattle.....

4 legs good, 2 legs bad

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

BloodBath wrote: »
    Italian culture like kissing greetings certainly contributes I would imagine.

Russians kiss each other thrice and only”have” 7 cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Yeah so should you. Most people recover from this just fine. It's not the end of the human race.

This thread gets more ridiculous by the day.

Stock markets are falling, 26 medical personnel have died in China, Cruise ships are stranded at sea, the IMF and ECB have just released the first tranche of billions in stimulus, an airline has gone out of business, entire cities have been put under lockdown, cities in the US have declared a state of emergency, Italy's health system is so overloaded they are calling for help from the private sector, and I could go on, and on, but people here who are following and commenting on all this real world stuff are ridiculous?

You should go work for the HSE or government, you have a mindset that would fit in perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Yurt! wrote: »
    Absolutely extraordinary that the plug isn't being pulled on Paddy's day parades at this juncture.

Words fail sometimes.
    And worse, he takes a bitchy sideswipe at local communities cancelling them off their own bat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Simon Harris just said we will see more cases in Ireland and you would think a Taoiseach who used to be a doctor would be closing down events. Why the Fuuck is he not doing this and why are the closures on Parnell St not being mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

lalababa wrote: »

Hmmmm.....source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The Paddy's Day thing stinks of Vintners and various other interest groups.

Crazy to hold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

will germany be doing another update today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,878 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Link? Source?

TTLF wrote: »
    will germany be doing another update today?

Yes, just before midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I agree with the acting Taoiseach fully. Even the public health professionals on TV every night were saying setting off an economic bomb would hurt more people indirectly than the virus itself.

Yes I understand about vulnerable groups, senior citizens and those with underlying conditions, but its far better that those people limit their own interaction with general population than the whole Country stop normal life. For St Patricks week each event needs to be taken on its merits and considered prudent or not, not a blanket ban.

There won't be an economic bomb cancelling Paddy's Day. There's a run on loo paper in the us, Canada and Australia. What does that tell you? Many are stock piling and preparing. Large number of tourists coming to Ireland spending loads of money is hopeful and wishful thinking. Large crowds gathering had to be stopped to slow down the spread of this disease or the health service will collapse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Testing everyone who walks through the door of ED is not as easy as it sounds. Each person needs to be assessed by a nurse and or doctor who need a gown, gloves, face mask, visor etc etc.....we don’t have enough in the hospitals!!!! 6 days in and they are under lock and key because ppl kept taking them..... and we can’t get enough in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

SusanC10 wrote: »
    That's slightly higher than yesterday. Could it be plateauing there ?

I seriously doubt it, they're just not testing as many.
    A friend working in a University in Florence has sore throat and sniffles, they refuse to test him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Summer2020 wrote: »
    Stepaside parade has been cancelled. Think there’s going to be a back track on the Dublin one within days. Absolute madness. All about money, tourism and the economy with no thought to public health.

These organisers seems to be cancelling parades without even listening to Govt or medical advice (which seems a bizarre way of going about things).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Perhaps they have the stronger strain ?
    Doesn't seem so.
    "At the base of this (genetic) lineage lies the sample Germany/BavPat1/2020. This was "patient 1" in Bavaria who was infected by a business colleague visiting from China. "
    https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1235104921260675072

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

ellejay wrote: »
    I seriously doubt it, they're just not testing as many.
    A friend working in a University in Florence has sore throat and sniffles, they refuse to test him.

4000 tests were done today, which found 620 positives https://lab24.ilsole24ore.com/coronavirus/

tamponi giornalieri = tests done in a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,323 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Yurt! wrote: »
    Absolutely extraordinary that the plug isn't being pulled on Paddy's day parades at this juncture.

Words fail sometimes.

Business interest groups don't want to see the cash cow of Paddy's Day put on the back burner. We shut down every parade and any large gatherings in 2001 for the foot and mouth which was an animal disease. But for a readily infectious and deadly human disease?? Nah it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Strazdas wrote: »
    These organisers seems to be cancelling parades without even listening to Govt or medical advice (which seems a bizarre way of going about things).

Maybe people are realising that the govt and medical advice is going against that of every other country with an outbreak and the WHO? And bloody common sense maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Gintonious wrote: »
    This thread is like a comments section under a news article on Facebook.

Oh we have a long way down to go before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 greencoat

portugal in may for the family,balance has to be payed next friday,makes me wonder??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Significant numbers increase coming according to IT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Major events should be cancelled at this stage.

Yes of course some can argue more people will probably die form alcohol poisoning, car accidents, the flu this year, but it is very dangerous for elderly people and anyone with existing health complications and it is relatively easily transmitted.

And the best way of avoiding transmission is to stop fooking putting loads of people together in close proximity.

And our health care infrastructure is already inadequate.

It is not rocket science, but fooking cop on.

And also why are some people around here seeing it as somehow being a great achievement that our health service is better than some former third world shytehole that has been riddled by war for the last half century.

Why not compare ourselves with the best and not be content with being better than the worst ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,961 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I agree with the acting Taoiseach fully. Even the public health professionals on TV every night were saying setting off an economic bomb would hurt more people indirectly than the virus itself.

When public health professionals start pronouncing on economic effects I doubt their advice on both fronts. Sure let's ask some economists about the health risks.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Significant numbers increase coming according to IT.

Link?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement