Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

I spoke with people just off duty at HSE site.

Expect significant jump in positives over next few days. Anyone who skied in Italy recently is now a probably positive, based on what I am hearing. Italy's own published data today is showing infection rates (on those tested) above 15%.

University managers now asked to contingency plan for partial or full shutdown.

Insurance is a key factor in delaying decision-making around event cancellation but I expect decisions will be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Strazdas wrote: »
    These organisers seems to be cancelling parades without even listening to Govt or medical advice (which seems a bizarre way of going about things).

These people have their head screwed on. There is no public health downside that I can really think of to cancelling large gatherings at a time like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I haven’t heard of any new cases today so maybe what the government is recommending if actually working ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Leo et al doubling down on their laissez-faire liberal agenda. Confirms my initial thoughts some weeks ago that they've decided, like their European counterparts, that it's more cost effective and efficient to let any epidemic run its course. I don't think they are too concerned about the most vulnerable and ill. They've demonstrated this re health long before this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yeah count me in with saying what a stupid idea it will be to not cancel the parade.

Leo Varadkar is a shambles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Ah, are they not cancelling elective procedures just to stop people coming into hospital where there can be crowds? I doubt it’s because they don’t have the capacity to treat them. Rather that it just makes sense to hold off for now on anything not urgent. People can be vulnerable to infection after any kind of procedure including electives.

The decision to still have the paddy’s parade still going ahead rules out the possibility that decision is based on stopping people being in crowds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Link?

Article hasn't updated yet, this was a notification. I'll get it up ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I know it is a serious issue.

But some in here may want to take some time off searching new cases etc,

We may under qurantine soon enough. Some people may need to get a new hobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭Talisman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,335 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

odyssey06 wrote: »
    When public health professionals start pronouncing on economic effects I doubt their advice on both fronts. Sure let's ask some economists about the health risks.

Scientists in public health medicine do study economic and societal effects. This history of diseases informs as much of the study in the field as the pathology.

They were making their expert opinions on the balance of risk. If that changes I'm sure they'll be out to talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Link?

Not the OP but it’s here
    https://twitter.com/irishtimes/status/1235984477404479488?s=21

Doesn’t actually say anything about a substantial increase in the article though :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

frillyleaf wrote: »
    I haven’t heard of any new cases today so maybe what the government is recommending if actually working ?

Nah.

What time will the news update be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

frillyleaf wrote: »

The best they've come out with is wash your hands while singing happy birthday. Thanks a million lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Unearthly wrote: »
    Yeah count me in with saying what a stupid idea it will be to not cancel the parade.

Leo Varadkar is a shambles

If it goes ahead I hope he leads the thing and shakes every idiots hand that also attends as a show to the public 'look nothing to be worried about'

Leo et al doubling down on their laissez-faire liberal agenda. Confirms my initial thoughts some weeks ago that they've decided, like their European counterparts, that it's more cost effective and efficient to let any epidemic run its course. I don't think they are too concerned about the most vulnerable and ill. They've demonstrated this re health long before this.

Are you suggesting they are operating along the lines of a cost benefit analysis of damaging the economy versus a cull of the infirm being of benefit to the ongoing costs of running the health service?

Very cynical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,323 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Significant numbers increase coming according to IT.

Shocker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,878 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

A lot could happen between now and paddy's day. The parade might go ahead but the crowd might stay away

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

These organisers seems to be cancelling parades without even listening to Govt or medical advice (which seems a bizarre way of going about things).

Medical advice outside the national committee is divided. I heard medical advice on RTE radio 1 asked if he would cancel and the answer was instantly, yes. What you are seeing is a govt and a HSE that lost the people years ago over ongoing incompetence and disregard for people being ignored. People will make up their own minds and many will think of the elderly and vulnerable who can be the main demographics badly impacted by this virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Ok looks like possibly double figure tonight?

Don't know.

We'll see.

More

That's yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's not bizarre at all, it's common sense, which the government is entirely bereft of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Given up reading this thread cos of all the panic merchants and doom mongers. But just been Called by the hospital to go back in cos there’s ‘a complication with my results’ and the lady wouldn’t give any further detail other than I have to return now.

No. I’ll go on Tuesday as appointed.
    Cleared the head and calmed down. Rang the number back to and it’s the finance division? What is the finance division? It just went to a voicemail when I called.

Great stuff.

Wtf is going on?

**and no. I’m not going back in. I’m in bed still in a heap. Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

No they are sensible.

Having a big celebration and showing ‘Ireland's rich culture’ of spreading the virus around as much as possible, while the rest of the world are burying their grandparents!

That will be great for Ireland's image abroad !

boege wrote: »
    More

Can't be more. That would be triple figure (in the 100's)

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Link?
    Irish Times article ten minutes ago.

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar
    Have a look at Temple Bar this evening. Virtually no Irish people except the odd Irish person hurriedly walking with their head down. Many tourists with backpacks on their holidays taking photos.

My thoughts tonight are with those in the hospitality sector for this absolute genocide being thrust upon them. Two weeks time there'll be nobody to wait your tables or pull your pint in Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement