Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

niallo27 wrote: »
    Now why I'd do agree with ya for most of it, does it not scare ya a tiny bit at how fast this thing could spread.

No it does not scare me. The media are trying their best to scaremonger everyone.

Seemingly if you feed Gremlins after midnight they turn evil and jump in swimming pools.

Far too many histrionic posters making it out to be an issue it isn't. I find the HSE bashing, and in particular the government bashing really pathetic. Some people close to blaming Simon Harris with everything, such shight talk.

Other posters having orgasms every time a new case emerges. They sound like that really stupid girl in national school who used to groan and fuss when homework was being dished out. Some sad phucks are actually getting off on the chaos and mayhem. I find it disconcerting what some clowns are posting, I would be terrified to have to actually deal in a real crises with any of them. You know who you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Are you suggesting they are operating along the lines of a cost benefit analysis of damaging the economy versus a cull of the infirm being of benefit to the ongoing costs of running the health service?

Very cynical.

They've been at this for years. E.g. waiting lists, overcrowding in a&e, housing etc. And you think they care?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Breaking news...7 players showing symptoms in the French rugby camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Runaways wrote: »
    Given up reading this thread cos of all the panic merchants and doom mongers. But just been Called by the hospital to go back in cos there’s ‘a complication with my results’ and the lady wouldn’t give any further detail other than I have to return now.

No. I’ll go on Tuesday as appointed.
    Cleared the head and calmed down. Rang the number back to and it’s the finance division? What is the finance division? It just went to a voicemail when I called.

Great stuff.

Wtf is going on?

**and no. I’m not going back in. I’m in bed still in a heap. Thanks.

I don't know, but you need to charge your phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

A lot could happen between now and paddy's day. The parade might go ahead but the crowd might stay away
    Nope, simpletons like the hordes of skiiers who descended on Europe's covid-19 hotspot would suggest otherwise.
    It's up to govt to lead and protect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

Ok looks like possibly double figure tonight?

Don't know.

We'll see.
    I’m sure it will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Didn't our cases come from Italy? So would we end up with the stronger strain of the virus as well?

There is no 'stronger strain'.

A bull**** paper noted two differences / 32,000 positions in the genome (one of which doesn't even change any of the viral proteins) that happened early on.

The authors then speculated wildly that one of these strains was more transmissable and more pathogenic, despite having no evidence to do so.

The media then picked it up and, lacking any background understanding, went all in.
    This is happening a lot with media coverage of scientific papers during this outbreak.

Read what some virologists at the Glasgow MRC virology centre made of it:
    http://virological.org/t/response-to-on-the-origin-and-continuing-evolution-of-sars-cov-2/418

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Leo et al doubling down on their laissez-faire liberal agenda. Confirms my initial thoughts some weeks ago that they've decided, like their European counterparts, that it's more cost effective and efficient to let any epidemic run its course. I don't think they are too concerned about the most vulnerable and ill. They've demonstrated this re health long before this.

I hope they are joking, an outbreak is not cost effective at all
    Economy will be badly hit when things get out of hand here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

A lot could happen between now and paddy's day. The parade might go ahead but the crowd might stay away

The parade could well be cancelled from the inside out.

If I had kids due to take part in a float they would be getting pulled now and their organisers informed.

Between the participants and the audience the parade won’t go ahead, Or at least will be massively reduced, despite the indecision of the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I agree with the acting Taoiseach fully. Even the public health professionals on TV every night were saying setting off an economic bomb would hurt more people indirectly than the virus itself.

Yes I understand about vulnerable groups, senior citizens and those with underlying conditions, but its far better that those people limit their own interaction with general population than the whole Country stop normal life. For St Patricks week each event needs to be taken on its merits and considered prudent or not, not a blanket ban.

Wow sounds a bit blue shirty!

FFS taken on merit. Wide spread cimmunity transmission is occuring. Decide if you want to get spat on while waiting for a drink at the bar? That's my main paddy's day parade after becoming too old to freeze my bollox off on the back of a tractor.

• Advertisement

Ludo wrote: »
    There were plenty of rumours yesterday of new cases and there turned out to be 7. No rumours today so I guess no new cases? Hopefully anyway.

Sorry I’m 4 hours behind. Was in tesco and it was manic but there shelves still had everything. Loads of loo roll, liquid soap nearly gone, anti bac wipes were very low, pasta and tinned toms ok-ish.

I heard a rumour of a case in Tuam. Is there a rumour list? I’m not looking back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

lalababa wrote: »
    Breaking news...7 players showing symptoms in the French rugby camp.

Mon dieu!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Dr. Campbell is a doctor in the sense that he has a phd in nurse training and he is a A&E nurse so we need to take his comments with a large pinch of salt when he criticises the scientists leading the WHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Suppose you already have the seasonal flu how likely would you be to get this other CV-19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭KaneToad

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    No it does not scare me. The media are trying their best to scaremonger everyone.

I wouldn't agree. Most of the Irish media reporting has been factual and restrained. Why would "the media" want to scaremonger? If anything it would be detrimental to their bottom line as it would drive us deeper into recession..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Can't be more. That would be triple figure (in the 100's)

:rolleyes:

On yesterday's numbers.

One hospital i know has more than doubted positive admissions today. More expected - as in a chunk of a school group that went skiing! Read my previous post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,605 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The IT article minus paywall

http://archive.ph/L1Uq4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

If I had kids due to take part in a float they would be getting pulled now and their organisers informed.

Between the participants and the audience the parade won’t go ahead, Or at least will be massively reduced, despite the indecision of the government.

There's a lack of top down leadership. We need bottom up leadership. This is a prime example. Well done.

We all have to make hard decisions personally. This is unprecedented. Act accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The decision to still have the paddy’s parade still going ahead rules out the possibility that decision is based on stopping people being in crowds.

That’s simplistic. People going in for elective procedures will be at a greater risk of infection post-procedure than your average parade-goer would be. You really think things have ground to a halt in hospitals because of 13 cases? No, it just makes sense for people not to visit hospitals if they don’t really need to. It’s an easy and sensible thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,322 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Suppose you already have the seasonal flu how likely would you be to get this other CV-19

As likely as anyone else. Having had the flu or flu vaccine will make no difference to this. Completely different virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Irish Times article ten minutes ago.

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar
    Have a look at Temple Bar this evening. Virtually no Irish people except the odd Irish person hurriedly walking with their head down. Many tourists with backpacks on their holidays taking photos.

My thoughts tonight are with those in the hospitality sector for this absolute genocide being thrust upon them. Two weeks time there'll be nobody to wait your tables or pull your pint in Dublin.

Ireland being one of the last countries to get infected is catching up pretty fast

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The Parade is a bad idea but how many other countries are banning large events? France and Switzerland I think but Germany or the UK? It is not unique to us alas m

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Government abdicating the decision to the organisers and participants so as not to be the bad guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Ok looks like possibly double figure tonight?

Don't know.

We'll see.

Exciting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,335 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

those in the hospitality sector for this absolute genocide being thrust upon them. Two weeks time there'll be nobody to wait your tables or pull your pint in Dublin.

Have a very large word with yourself.

People with underlying conditions working in this setting should be protected, for everyone else of working age they're looking at a fever and a cough then well again.

I'm beginning to think we should just have a big old national pox party and let everyone get it and get over it and move on with life rather than this feckin thing ebbing and flowing with the seasons for years until antibodies are built up in general population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    I hope they are joking, an outbreak is not cost effective at all
    Economy will be badly hit when things get out of hand here

This is the lesser of two evils in their minds. Make tough decisions to curtail events and suffer the economic consequences. Or let the virus run its course and hope for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭josip

blueskys wrote: »
    I have a friend in cuba, he said any ships/planes entering there with passengers have a 24hr quarantine before actually going into the country. This has been in place since January. This is why they have 0 cases.

24 hours quarantine ain't gonna do diddly squat for Covid-19.
    If they've 0 cases, it's because like some other countries, they're not bothering to test, eg. Turkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

SuperValu is full of pasta again 1kg of fusilli pasta. 94c

Can’t go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

darjeeling wrote: »
    There is no 'stronger strain'.

A bull**** paper noted two differences / 32,000 positions in the genome (one of which doesn't even change any of the viral proteins) that happened early on.

The authors then speculated wildly that one of these strains was more transmissable and more pathogenic, despite having no evidence to do so.

The media then picked it up and, lacking any background understanding, went all in.
    This is happening a lot with media coverage of scientific papers during this outbreak.

Read what some virologists at the Glasgow MRC virology centre made of it:
    http://virological.org/t/response-to-on-the-origin-and-continuing-evolution-of-sars-cov-2/418

It's difficult to read and doesn't have the big exciting headlines like the sun newspaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Please just stop speculating on rumors. Its just better if we post updates and factual/helpful information

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement