Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

The EU had the choice to seal off northern Italy. They didn't. No point crying over spilt milk.

Yes where the hell are the EU? Last seen in 2019. You can never shut them up normally - Brexit this, human rights that, free movement this, working as one EU that. Global pandemic? Nothing to do with us. They have no problem coordinating when it's bad for business. Problem for them is this WILL be bad for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Strazdas wrote: »
    These organisers seems to be cancelling parades without even listening to Govt or medical advice (which seems a bizarre way of going about things).

Maybe that's what the government wants. They don't want the blame for cancellation of events and the inevitable impact to the economy. Let the event organisers cancel themselves if they want to.
    Personally I think the risk to the economy is greater in the longer run if we don't take necessary meaures in the near term. Cancelling the parade will be minor compared to what will have to be cancelled if nothing is done now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,878 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Speak Now wrote: »
    People dying is spilt milk, strange one frog.

The milk is already spilt, it can't be unspilt

We have to deal in the here and now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

niallo27 wrote: »
    If you get this and recover, are you then immune from it. Sorry if this has been answered 50 times.
    There’s been some reporting of people getting it again, even dying, but in all the chaos it could just be false negatives, who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

If you get this and recover, are you then immune from it. Sorry if this has been answered 50 times.

No. Some initial studies showing lasting damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Best guess on how many we are talking today?

The Irish Times would not use the word "substantial" lightly.

I think 10, 11 maybe?

Something surely would have leaked earlier if it is more than that?

I’m roughly on the same page.

I say total number of cases doubling to roughly 25.

Boggles wrote: »
    Won't be far off 30.

IMO

That’s scary. 30 new cases or 30 in total. Scary either way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

How can they say it's still in a containment phase and sourcing contacts? How do they do that when there's a case already where they don't know how he got it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    No you can get it again google is your friend

I did and I'm getting conflicting answers. A doctor that did a AMA on reddit said there is no evidence that you can get it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

We are on study break for two weeks now in UCD and our professors told us its unlikely that we will be resuming normal class after it and will probably be doing online lectures for the foreseeable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I don't know either why the spread in Italy is so bad or why they're having so many deaths. Worst of all worlds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,520 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Sorry, total.

That's my opinion just to be clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

How can they say it's still in a containment phase and sourcing contacts? How do they do that when there's a case already where they don't know how he got it?

Pay it no mind. We got hotel rooms to fill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Best guess on how many we are talking today?

The Irish Times would not use the word "substantial" lightly.

I think 10, 11 maybe?

Something surely would have leaked earlier if it is more than that?

Was gonna go with 11 too. Maybe I'll go a little higher with 16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Irish Times seem to be getting confidential information sooner than the public. Who is leaking this? It serves only to build hype.

Irish times has a duty to investigate and hold the powers that be to task. The public will not trust the mass media unless they perform honest impartial reporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Every credible immunologist I've heard says that, yes, you should have immunity for some time. Exactly how long is unclear, but you shouldn't get it twice in one season at least.

The media is sexing up occasional reports of the odd individual who tested +ve, then -ve, then +ve again, and this is being turned into a widespread fear that no-one will have acquired immunity. But that doesn't agree with the basic immunology of acquired immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

It's Scary but it will probably jump in numbers every day for a while. Its not going anywhere right now it has nowhere to go but up judging by all the other countries before us

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,257 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

fr336 wrote: »
    I don't know either why the spread in Italy is so bad or why they're having so many deaths. Worst of all worlds.

Kissy kissy and sometimes kissy again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Yes where the hell are the EU? Last seen in 2019. You can never shut them up normally - Brexit this, human rights that, free movement this, working as one EU that. Global pandemic? Nothing to do with us. They have no problem coordinating when it's bad for business. Problem for them is this WILL be bad for business.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/health/coronavirus-response_en

Can't be 30. Cases would have leaked.

I'm thinking 10 or 11. It will be in double figures given the kite in the Irish Times.

13 now + 10 = 23

• Advertisement

I did and I'm getting conflicting answers. A doctor that did a AMA on reddit said there is no evidence that you can get it again.

I think it’s way to early in the life of this virus to really know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Their are some strange people on this thread with no regard for human life. More worried about winning an online argument that the prospect of a pandemic unfolding

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Was gonna go with 11 too. Maybe I'll go a little higher with 16

I don't think it will be that high but maybe? I don't know.

I think if it was a big number instances would have leaked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

FFS.

We've spent the last five years explaining blue in the face to rabble rousers that the EU isn't a federal superstate that has stolen the sovereignty of member states and isn't taking over.

We weren't lying.

The EU cannot close the borders of its member states.

Incredible the amount of people who've been complaining that the EU isn't overstepping its powers and seizing executive power in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

darjeeling wrote: »
    Every credible immunologist I've heard says that, yes, you should have immunity for some time. Exactly how long is unclear, but you shouldn't get it twice in one season at least.

The media is sexing up occasional reports of the odd individual who tested +ve, then -ve, then +ve again, and this is being turned into a widespread fear that no-one will have acquired immunity. But that doesn't agree with the basic immunology of acquired immunity.

15% reinfection rate in China apparently, can’t remember where i read it, but I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

dePeatrick wrote: »
    You do realise that people are catching this for a second time.

wrong, people are relapsing. The virus stays in the system for a long time and can re-emerge. People tested negative then positive again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

fritzelly wrote: »
    Should be grateful she's not in Iran - be getting a flogging

And rightly so.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

quit speculating & just wait for an announcement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Basically the WHO are out there shouting "FIRE! FIRE!" while our fine leaders, the ones who you can't get rid of normally, have effectively gone into hiding.
    To be fair the WHO were ridiculously calm (or at least suggesting that we should be) about it until well after Italy started going nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

seamus wrote: »
    FFS.

We've spent the last five years explaining blue in the face to rabble rousers that the EU isn't a federal superstate that has stolen the sovereignty of member states and isn't taking over.

We weren't lying.

The EU cannot close the borders of its member states.

Incredible the amount of people who've been complaining that the EU isn't overstepping its powers and seizing executive power in Europe.

It can close borders, It just needs to declare an emergency first and that allows it to happen, and has done it before during the migrant crisis in 2015.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement