Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭newbie18892

Been told by a member of staff working in a South Dublin hospital that a person presented to out of hours GP last night with suspected case of Covid-19. Hospital has been subject to deep clean today as a precaution

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

KaneToad wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree. Most of the Irish media reporting has been factual and restrained. Why would "the media" want to scaremonger? If anything it would be detrimental to their bottom line as it would drive us deeper into recession..

Congrats for managing to get the words detrimental, bottom line and recession into one sentence. I know you tried to corelate them to Irish media coverage of the Covid virus, but I don't think you quite got there. Try harder.

How come it is not spreading in South East Asia, Indonesia and India?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I'm wondering
    Why are all the confirmed cases or most of them in hospital?
    What treatment are they getting
    The family of 4 for example
    If it's making people so sick and they're just normal people not with underlying health issues,then we are all Fucked in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

15% reinfection rate in China apparently, can’t remember where i read it, but I did.

yes, there is article around that mentions the 15% re-infection. I read it yesterday and they were actually talking about relapse and also how tests can also return incorrect results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It can close borders, It just needs to declare an emergency first and that allows it to happen, and has done it before during the migrant crisis in 2015.
    Still not possible. Didn't happen in 2015. And we're talking about internal borders, not external borders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Been told by a member of staff working in a South Dublin hospital that a person presented to out of hours GP last night with suspected case of Covid-19. Hospital has been subject to deep clean today as a precaution

Irish people love drama and lime light.They were told a 1000 times not to go to a Doctor, but to call it in, but no, they wanted some drama, their moment of fame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

It can close borders, It just needs to declare an emergency first and that allows it to happen, and has done it before during the migrant crisis in 2015.

No it didn’t. It’s down to individual states to close any of their borders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Strazdas wrote: »
    For two hours - risk of picking up the corona virus along a two mile route is probably minimal.

Town will be crowded that day anyway (for the entire day).

I doubt it not with someone coughing down on you trying to get a view. It won't be crowded anyway with people staying away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

I don't think it will be that high but maybe? I don't know.

I think if it was a big number instances would have leaked.

Maybe not. But you took my number so I didn't wanna look like I was copying you 🙈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I'm wondering
    If it's making people so sick and they're just normal people not with underlying health issues,then we are all Fucked in my opinion

I don't think any of the confirmed cases were hospitalised bar the chap in Cork who was in there already. Open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I'm wondering

One thing for sure, some people get bad symptoms regardless of age. I read reports of people in their 30s getting intensive care for weeks

If you are young you are more likely to recover, that's all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

wadacrack wrote: »
    Their are some strange people on this thread with no regard for human life. More worried about winning an online argument that the prospect of a pandemic unfolding

You meaning the people furiously pulling at themselves over reports of new cases, yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Can't be 30. Cases would have leaked.

I'm thinking 10 or 11. It will be in double figures given the kite in the Irish Times.

13 now + 10 = 23

If it's only 10 or less Leo will be on the news to hail it as a triumph and evidence that his policies are successful because the exponential growth of cases doubling every day as in other countries has been stopped.

If it is more than 10 Simon Harris will be on the news talking about the challenges faced by the international health system.

We should probably bare in mind when guessing numbers of cases, at some point there will be other figures given too. There is some great humour to keep you going reading this thread, but guessing numbers just doesn't seem necessary at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,878 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

From Irish Times
    Another substantial increase in confirmed coronavirus cases is expected on Friday evening, some involving healthcare workers.

Most of the new cases are linked to existing cases being treated in University Hospital Limerick (UHL) and Cork University Hospital (CUH).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

blueskys wrote: »
    I have a friend in cuba, he said any ships/planes entering there with passengers have a 24hr quarantine before actually going into the country. This has been in place since January. This is why they have 0 cases.

it's pure luck. people are often asymptomatic as much as two weeks. a 24 hours quarantine is useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I was just thinking that China's hard line approach to dealing with this will be a waste of time. They may have it under control now but with other countries taking a more lax approach it will just end up back there as bad as ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,335 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah and someone swore blind to me on Saturday that there were two cases in St Vincent's where they work. And you know what, there weren't.

The NPHET are the ONLY source with validity for this information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I don't think we have to worry about the Dublin parade going ahead. It will be cancelled without doubt. We are a reactive country, with a reactive government (well, if you consider us to have a government currently) and "only" 13 cases is not enough to trigger a cancellation in their eyes.

Next Friday's announcement won't be too far off of the 750-1000 range (an absolutely non-statistical based guess by myself, assuming a 75% increase in confirmed cases each night using my logic of "other countries at early stages aren't far off doubling each day").

A number in that range would be too big to ignore, and unfortunately we'll have multiple deaths confirmed by that stage. Even once we start getting into the low hundreds confirmed, the pressure will be too much and the parade will be cancelled. I'm absolutely sure of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Leo et al doubling down on their laissez-faire liberal agenda. Confirms my initial thoughts some weeks ago that they've decided, like their European counterparts, that it's more cost effective and efficient to let any epidemic run its course. I don't think they are too concerned about the most vulnerable and ill. They've demonstrated this re health long before this.

Hasn't been too much out of the EU regime either

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I don't think any of the confirmed cases were hospitalised bar the chap in Cork who was in there already. Open to correction.

Are the 4 not in a hospital in limerick and all but essential visits cancelled? Thought that's what I heard on 6 one a few mins sgo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I'm wondering

Part of there containment plan.
    At the moment it's easier to keep people in hospital while the numbers are low.
    At the moment most would be getting an IV and oxygen to keep up the oxygen levels in the blood

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

it seems the irish government's policy is "we can't control this thing, so let's try and keep panic down and keep revenue coming in"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

saabsaab wrote: »
    I doubt it not with someone coughing down on you trying to get a view. It won't be crowded anyway with people staying away.

I would imagine most people would be following sensible hygiene practices that day and careful what they are doing or touching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I'm wondering

Several reasons actually. One part is largely about observing how it progresses which we can 'afford' to do right now given the limited numbers of cases we have confirmed as it currently stands. Secondly, it allows for isolation precautions to be taken more seriously for confirmed cases limiting the potential a person becomes a careless super spreader (which going back to point 1, we can afford the resources to do as it currently stands). As this progresses in terms of confirmed cases only the people with moderate-severe illness will be treated on an inpatient basis.

As far as Tx options you're looking at supportive treatments only (ie. symptomatic treatment).

ZX7R wrote: »
    Part of there containment plan.
    At the moment it's easier to keep people in hospital while the numbers are low.
    At the moment most would be getting an IV and oxygen to keep up the oxygen levels in the blood

That wont be possible when cases hit the 1000's here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Strazdas wrote: »
    I would imagine most people would be following sensible hygiene practices that day and careful what they are doing or touching.
    Not after alcohol consumed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Pudsy33 wrote: »

The student from Dublin was in the Mater
    Think the doctor is in Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

fr336 wrote: »
    I don't know either why the spread in Italy is so bad

tenor.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement