Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

15% reinfection rate in China apparently, can’t remember where i read it, but I did.

And this is how these nuggets of dubious information get passed around.

There are a lot of studies being done that are bypassing regular peer-review due to the emergency nature of this outbreak. Some will turn out to be wrong.

There are also reports that aren't even at the level of papers, but are just statistics given by a medical service somewhere, often without much context.

Inevitably, things that sound alarming get picked up and circulated by the professional media and on social media, and that gives them a currency and apparent credibility that may be quite unjustified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Strazdas wrote: »
      I cannot understand the current obsession with the parade and having it cancelled. It's a two hour event on a Tuesday afternoon along a two mile route. Surely Croke Park on a Saturday night would be far more of a health risk.

And what about the 1000's of visitors from foreign countries the parade brings over ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Juwwi wrote: »
      And what about the 1000's of visitors from foreign countries the parade brings over ?

consider what they might bring over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Doctor Henry on RTE news far better communicator than Holohan. Keep rolling him out HSE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Akabusi wrote: »
      Am I alone in finding it very hard to remember to cough into your elbow. I've spent my lifetime of coughing into my hand. I see it now for why its wrong just hard to break that habit.

I've always sneezed into my elbow. It's not that hard.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

Juwwi wrote: »

Most of them will come anyway, they’ll be having already the plane tickets and accommodation paid for with it being so close by.
        What you can do is avoid having them gathering at the parade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Sorry now but I’m getting pretty tired of this “everyone wash their hands shlt”. I can wash my hands from now until kingdom come, but if they’re still letting in students from Italy and allowing frivolous ski trips and parades to take place, it’s not much good is it. Yes we all have to do our bit individually to minimise the risk but no amount of hand washing is going to stop Italian exchange students entering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭banie01

KWAG2019 wrote: »
        Doctor Henry on RTE news far better communicator than Holohan. Keep rolling him out HSE.

Better communicator yes, but still extremely evasive and long fingering the actual answer as to containment or suspension of events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭josip

skimpydoo wrote: »

Paddy Cosgrave is bitter at Ireland because we wouldn't subsidize his business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Mic 1972 wrote: »
        consider what they might bring over

Consider them becoming sick here, airlines refusing them due to illness and our already strained health service dealing with other countries casulties of this virus

• Advertisement
      • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Sorry now but I’m getting pretty tired of this “everyone wash their hands shlt”. I can wash my hands from now until kingdom come, but if they’re still letting in students from Italy and allowing frivolous ski trips and parades to take place, it’s not much good is it. Yes we all have to do our bit individually to minimise the risk but no amount of hand washing is going to stop Italian exchange students entering

If everyone washed their hands this virus would find it so hard to spread

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

frivolous ski trips

This just about sums it up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The issue is Irish students (and other Irish residents) returning from Italy. There has been no infections caused by Italian exchange students in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

How can they blatantly lie on the 6 news? There are more than 13 cases and they should be telling us about them. It’s ridiculous and dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

joe_99 wrote: »
        Totally agree with this. S. Korea and the cruise liner are by far the best indicator's of the virus's potency.

Maths is maths. Data is data. The true figure is what The Who is reporting. We aren’t being as strict as south Korea with testing anyway so even if it was the case we would be at the higher end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

35 new cases in Sweden in the last few minutes, over half of them are related to travel in Italy. 21 of the cases are in Stockholm

Amirani wrote: »
        The issue is Irish students (and other Irish residents) returning from Italy. There has been no infections caused by Italian exchange students in Ireland.

Yet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

How can they blatantly lie on the 6 news? There are more than 13 cases and they should be telling us about them. It’s ridiculous and dangerous.

They need to tell the people infected themselves before they tell the whole country. The numbers will be out at 8 or so, you're not going to die waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Irish rugby match in paris goes ahead for next weekend with fans according to french rugby union.

They must be learning from leo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Nobody allowed in or out of Wexford general.

• Advertisement

Stats can be used any way you want.
        Closed cases: 60k
        Deaths in the closed cases: 3.4k
        Puts mortality at 6%

If people want to compare with the flu this is the method of calculation they have to use.

If EVERY person was tested for the flu during a winter season then the death rate would be minuscule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

thomas 123 wrote: »
        Maths is maths. Data is data. The true figure is what The Who is reporting. We aren’t being as strict as south Korea with testing anyway so even if it was the case we would be at the higher end.

Every passenger on the cruise liner was tested and S. Korea have by far the most extensive testing regime. China and Iranian data is completely useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

mossie wrote: »
        I can understand wanting it cancelled, I think it would make sense, but it's Paddys day and even if there's no parade people will still go to the pubs and a confined pub is surely an ideal place for infection?

I don't think people are even thinking through why they want the parade cancelled. Do they think town, Temple Bar and the pubs will be empty that day? Everywhere is closed and everyone is off work....it will be a normal St Patrick's Day mostly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

They read what the HSE tell them to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Two BA baggage throwers (handlers) over at HTW are confirmed among the infected.

Before you pick up luggage, spary it down with whatever is at hand: phiss, vinegar, aftershave, dettol spray etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Anytime I see our Minister for Health, he always seems to have a 'dont ask me a hard question please' look on his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

If people want to compare with the flu this is the method of calculation they have to use.

If EVERY person was tested for the flu during a winter season then the death rate would be minuscule.

The flu stats assume this and double the numbers I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

The parade will be cancelled. They are just dragging it out and postponing the inevitable. They just have to look at what happened in Philidelphia in 1918 to see why letting a parade go ahead is an extraordinarily stupid idea.

https://twitter.com/florian_krammer/status/1235761684431724550?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Amirani wrote: »
        They need to tell the people infected themselves before they tell the whole country. The numbers will be out at 8 or so, you're not going to die waiting.

Another positive case of diewaititous

• Advertisement

Two BA baggage throwers (handlers) over at HTW are confirmed among the infected.

Before you pick up luggage, spary it down with whatever is at hand: phiss, vinegar, aftershave, dettol spray etc.

Dont forget fire

Fire cleanses everything

This discussion has been closed.
      Advertisement