Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I've always sneezed into my elbow. It's not that hard.

But washing your elbows while singing 'Happy Birthday' isn't so easy now, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

seamus wrote: »
    Still not possible. Didn't happen in 2015. And we're talking about internal borders, not external borders.

Your statement is without basis or fact.

504811.png

504812.pnghttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area#Temporary_border_controls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Two BA baggage throwers (handlers) over at HTW are confirmed among the infected.

Before you pick up luggage, spary it down with whatever is at hand: phiss, vinegar, aftershave, dettol spray etc.

Is the first recorded use of “spray it with phiss” on Boards in the Coronavirus crisis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Sorry now but I’m getting pretty tired of this “everyone wash their hands shlt”. I can wash my hands from now until kingdom come, but if they’re still letting in students from Italy and allowing frivolous ski trips and parades to take place, it’s not much good is it. Yes we all have to do our bit individually to minimise the risk but no amount of hand washing is going to stop Italian exchange students entering

Only them coming in won’t be all that bad if we all continue to wash our hands and cough away from people.

This virus isn’t airborne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Amirani wrote: »
    The issue is Irish students (and other Irish residents) returning from Italy. There has been no infections caused by Italian exchange students in Ireland.

The Italian government cancelled all school groups travelling abroad 2 weeks ago.
    Any Italian students here at the moment were already here before that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The countries closed their own borders, it wasn't an EU decision.

Jesus, it's not that hard to comprehend...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Nobody allowed in or out of Wexford general.

https://twitter.com/byrne_padraig/status/1235993592910540800?s=19

Looks like most hospitals will start enforcing this to be on the safe side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

At least two cases in a certain Dublin hospital today, a ward was cleared and staff prepared for their arrival. There has also been a marked ramp up today behind the scenes for certain groups of people throughout the country in respect of the next month or so. Certain groups have been meeting and plans have been put in place. Not meaning to be vague but in my own line of work all the employees today in a certain emergency service have been contacted about travel plans outside of the country. The working theory is that at minimum self isolation on return or potentially cancellation of travel, at least to high risk areas. I know contingency plans are been worked on on a local level within local authorites. I am not privy to a whole lot but by the looks of it there is a lot going rapidly the last few days and announcements will be made in the coming days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

If people want to compare with the flu this is the method of calculation they have to use.

If EVERY person was tested for the flu during a winter season then the death rate would be minuscule.

They will be able to test a sample of the population in the coming months for the antibodies to Corvid19 and will have a clearer picture of all that then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Comhra wrote: »
    But washing your elbows while singing 'Happy Birthday' isn't so easy now, is it?

It's not inside of my elbow touching things and transferring bacteria and germs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Only them coming in won’t be all that bad if we all continue to wash our hands and cough away from people.

This virus isn’t airborne

It can be spread by means of aerosol. A cough or sneeze can disperse droplets up to 2 metres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

wakka12 wrote: »
    I would be astonished if it is anywhere as high as 3.4% but it will also be significantly more than 0.6% because of the lag time of patients in south korea dying and new cases deflating that death rate. In wuhan now you see the death rate increasing a lot lately as some patients who have been hospitalised for a long time now continue to die and number of new cases are decreasing

Very good article here which quotes a variety of reputable sources. It discusses the factors and possible reasons why South Korea's mortality rate is so low. It also suggests that China's mortality rate is also falling - again due to increased screening. Overall, if one would like to cheer oneself up, it's worth a read.

TLDR, The mortality rate won't be anywhere near 3.4% and is likely to be less than 1%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Can't be 30. Cases would have leaked.

I'm thinking 10 or 11. It will be in double figures given the kite in the Irish Times.

13 now + 10 = 23

People know locally from families and schools telling kids to bring home all their books today,

Some local news stories have been taken back down

Either way may just wait and see,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I've always sneezed into my elbow. It's not that hard.

I never said anything about sneezing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

frillyleaf wrote: »
    I wonder if they tried to get tested but were told they didn’t need to be. I don’t think anyone would go to doctor for no good reason when they’ve been told not to

Oh Yes they would. Saw it myself. People, perhaps Irish people particularly do things they are asked not to do often.

spookwoman wrote: »

Is it realistically going to happen across the country as a pre caution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

Anybody know what time the briefing is at tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Is the first recorded use of “spray it with phiss” on Boards in the Coronavirus crisis?
    It lives in urine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

joe_99 wrote: »
    Every passenger on the cruise liner was tested and S. Korea have by far the most extensive testing regime. China and Iranian data is completely useless.

Sure and where does our testing stand? We are testing when we suspect a case as apposed to testing at point if entry. We are telling people to go and self isolate as apposed to enforced quarantine.

Look at data coming from Italy if you want a more local example, even the Uk has 2 deaths in less than 200 cases.

This will rip though older/ill people and as I said on one of the older threads it will overwhelm our already overcrowded hospitals.

Thinking that the cruise ship data is what’s going to happen here is dangerous, it’s absolute best case, with early and concentrated intervention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

https://twitter.com/byrne_padraig/status/1235993592910540800?s=19

Looks like most hospitals will start enforcing this to be on the safe side

To be fair it most hospitals do it during a year, vomiting bug flu ECT.
    Now I believe all hospitals should be introducing it regardless and also cancel all none urgent operations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Dante7 wrote: »
    The parade will be cancelled. They are just dragging it out and postponing the inevitable. They just have to look at what happened in Philidelphia in 1918 to see why letting a parade go ahead is an extraordinarily stupid idea.

https://twitter.com/florian_krammer/status/1235761684431724550?s=20

Not much to learn from this. Spanish flu was unusually lethal, and travel for people in a post WW1 world was more prevalent. It was also lethal to young adults (Covid-19 is not) and younger people in general, and there was poor hygiene standards and malnourishment at that time as well.

Apple, meet orange.

ZX7R wrote: »
    To be fair it most hospitals do it during a year, vomiting bug flu ECT.
    Now I believe all hospitals should be introducing it regardless and also cancel all none urgent operations.

Yeah exactly that's what I mean. Should be a visitor ban in all of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Real leadership in Youghal

Edit: Midleton cancelled too

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Two BA baggage throwers (handlers) over at HTW are confirmed among the infected.

Before you pick up luggage, spary it down with whatever is at hand: phiss, vinegar, aftershave, dettol spray etc.

Where? Lawrence County Airpark? BA don’t fly there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The EU had the choice to seal off northern Italy. They didn't. No point crying over spilt milk.

So Kermit...are you a really an EU federalist underneath all? You'd like a muscular, centralised EU that can come in and boss the member states around like that, tell them exactly who can come & go from a given country (let alone the relatively minor issue for joe public of exactly what % tax rate they set for company profits!)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

It lives in urine

:confused: No golden showers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Gintonious wrote: »

Apple, meet orange.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Gintonious wrote: »
    Not much to learn from this. Spanish flu was unusually lethal, and travel for people in a post WW1 world was more prevalent. It was also lethal to young adults (Covid-19 is not) and younger people in general, and there was poor hygiene standards and malnourishment at that time as well.

Apple, meet orange.

Older people>65 had immunity from previous epidemic in late 1880s. I think 65% of deaths were under 25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

DOCARCH wrote: »
    :confused: No golden showers?

Just keep your mouth, eyes, nose and ears closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement