Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

DOCARCH wrote: »
    :confused: No golden showers?

Yes leave it out for a bit and maybe the scat might not be a great idea at the moment either.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Older people>65 had immunity from previous epidemic in late 1880s. I think 65% of deaths were under 25

The younger death rates with Spanish flu is what made is so lethal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Candamir wrote: »
    Where? Lawrence County Airpark? BA don’t fly there.

Heathrow LHR

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Akabusi wrote: »
    I never said anything about sneezing.

Oh ok, I read it wrong. But coughing/sneezing into the elbow isn't that hard to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Been told by a member of staff working in a South Dublin hospital that a person presented to out of hours GP last night with suspected case of Covid-19. Hospital has been subject to deep clean today as a precaution

Well that person is in the wrong job if they can't keep their mouth shut.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

fly_agaric wrote: »
    So Kermit...are you a really an EU federalist underneath all? You'd like a muscular, centralised EU that can come in and boss the member states around like that, tell them exactly who can come & go from a given country (let alone the relatively minor issue for joe public of exactly what % tax rate they set for company profits!)

Well they do that anyway with migrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Gintonious wrote: »
    Not much to learn from this. Spanish flu was unusually lethal, and travel for people in a post WW1 world was more prevalent. It was also lethal to young adults (Covid-19 is not) and younger people in general, and there was poor hygiene standards and malnourishment at that time as well.

Apple, meet orange.

Spanish flu had a mean R0 of 2. Covid-19 has a current R0 of 2.28.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

seamus wrote: »
    Still not possible. Didn't happen in 2015. And we're talking about internal borders, not external borders.

The emergency was declared, but borders were not closed fully.

They can be closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Is the horse racing going ahead?

I'm nearly beginning to believe some of the conspiracy theories about how this virus was manufactured in a lab to kill of the weakest in society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I'd say you'll have a lot of people staying away from parades anyway, so whether it's cancelled or not it's going to be fairly dismal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Speak Now wrote: »
    People dying is spilt milk, strange one frog.

I belive he was referring to the decision, not it's consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Every hospital seems to be on lockdown atm , that a massive red flag. Could preparations have went any worse I'm not sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Notice Turkey (large country of 80m) aren't reporting a single case.
    Yet they're surrounded by 5/6 infected nations on all sides, and have the small matter of hoards that moved through it, and getting pushed/bussed to Greece's borders.

skimpydoo wrote: »

Paddy Cosgrove is a prick though. Still blaming the Irish government for not giving him free money and the fact he couldn't organise a conference in a conference centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

wadacrack wrote: »
    Every hospital seems to be on lockdown atm , that a massive red flag. Could preparations have went any worse I'm not sure

Maybe hospitals are looking at what Leo is saying and realise they need to prep for the worse case scenario because clearly the gov wont do anything to prevent it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Red flag not really.
    Common sense , and should have been done after the first case of infection in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Sitting in a doctors waiting room here. My god, you can sense the tension every time someone coughs or sneezes!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Notice Turkey (large country of 80m) aren't reporting a single case.
    Yet they're surrounded by 5/6 infected nations on all sides, and have the small matter of hoards that moved through it, and getting pushed/bussed to Greece's borders.

Exporting clean refugees! Political decision (probably) not to test/report.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

owlbethere wrote: »
    Is the horse racing going ahead?

I'm nearly beginning to believe some of the conspiracy theories about how this virus was manufactured in a lab to kill of the weakest in society.

Wuhan virology lab perhaps....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Xertz wrote: »
    I'd say you'll have a lot of people staying away from parades anyway, so whether it's cancelled or not it's going to be fairly dismal.

I wouldn't even set foot in a pub in town this weekend.
    Im a daily rate contractor so cannot take any risks.

This whole thing is mad altogether.

• Advertisement

ZX7R wrote: »
    Red flag not really.
    Common sense , and should have been done after the first case of infection in Ireland

Nonsense the Government says they are looking at this very closely.

Before that I was worried.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Red flag of what?
    That's not unexpected once you've seen a community infection.

Expect nursing and convalescent homes to follow suit.

The hospitals haven't magically spotted anything that the HSE hasn't.

The only major difference in this instance is that the lockdown will be countrywide. Usually only hospitals.in a region lockdown when there's a flu or vomiting bug outbreak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

If you haven’t heard calans kicks on the radio tonight you should listen.
    The hse corona hotline bit especially.
    Nailed it.

Widespread school and university closures will be announced tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Sensible precautions.

Currently on day 5 of 12 in a large public hospital. Hospital operating well. Everyone rowing in. Suspected patients rapidly triaged and moved through the system. Tests performed rapidly when appropriate. Guidelines updated daily including this afternoon.

If there is a large spike various options being discussed and contingency plans being made and reviewed daily.

Any of the experts here want to come in and do a few days at the weekend? Seem to know much better than anyone here anyway.

Nobody knows what will happen. Could it get difficult, absolutely. But it’s not the circus either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Will there be proper announcement at 8.30 - 45 of the cases confirmed today.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Runaways wrote: »
    Nailed it.

It was good!

Stupid people those Slovakias they have just lost all that Italian tourist money I bet they wished they had our wise leadership.:rolleyes:

They're just going to pocket the tourist money for the weekend first though, so yeah, great lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

joe_99 wrote: »
    If everyone washed their hands this virus would find it so hard to spread

Im sure washing our hands does help, it's decreasing the chance of contacting the virus we may come in contact witn by touching things and then touching our eyes, nose and mouth. It's not the only method of catching the virus though.

I think too much emphasis is put on this as a sort of "comfort blanket" to make us all feel we have a real major way of preventing this virus from getting hold.

The powers to be are trying to prevent panic and the whole system from shutting down for as long as they can.

Im in Malaga atm, the last I heard is 13 cases in Andalusia and most cases are connected to (go on guess where), Northern Italy.

People saying "stop flights from Northern Italy" are right. Its too late to prevent what's already happened but it will still help reduce further exposure.

This bulls*it about getting trains or other ways, may be true but it will definitely curtail the amount coming. If that doesn't work find other methods to stop them

These fools saying you can't stop flights or no point now, if they or their families get very sick or die, wouldn't be long changing their tunes. Big brave keyboard fools!

• Advertisement

Runaways wrote: »
    Nailed it.

How are you doing still in hospital?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement