Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Widespread school and university closures will be announced tonight

On a friday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Well they do that anyway with migrants

They don't really have those powers with migrants either but my understanding is there were some new capabilities and funding put in place after the 2015 migrant crisis...are you saying that's a bad thing?
    Ah well, suppose there is literally nothing the EU can do right in the eyes of Brexiteers and the like.
    Who knows, maybe the virus was cooked up in a secret lab under the Berlaymont that is run by reptilians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Would not make sense as Leo has given Paddy's Day his backing.

I'm calling fake news on the word "Widespread".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

seamus wrote: »
    Red flag of what?
    That's not unexpected once you've seen a community infection.

Expect nursing and convalescent homes to follow suit.

The hospitals haven't magically spotted anything that the HSE hasn't.

The only major difference in this instance is that the lockdown will be countrywide. Usually only hospitals.in a region lockdown when there's a flu or vomiting bug outbreak.

A number of nursing homes around Wicklow and Kildare have issued this already since last week

• Advertisement

Sorry now but I’m getting pretty tired of this “everyone wash their hands shlt”. I can wash my hands from now until kingdom come, but if they’re still letting in students from Italy and allowing frivolous ski trips and parades to take place, it’s not much good is it. Yes we all have to do our bit individually to minimise the risk but no amount of hand washing is going to stop Italian exchange students entering

Ah here.

You wash your hands to protect YOUR OWN BLOODY SELF from bugs you've come into contact with, primarily.

Just...honestly...I give up. Stop washing your hands so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

When you think about it, it would have made much more sense to have a centralized Facility(s) to treat all
    cases and Suspect cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Notice Turkey (large country of 80m) aren't reporting a single case.
    Yet they're surrounded by 5/6 infected nations on all sides, and have the small matter of hoards that moved through it, and getting pushed/bussed to Greece's borders.

If/when Corona virus hits the Turkey/Syria border the outcome won't be good.
    Certain countries aren't reporting numbers despite being surrounded by affected countries.

Bulgaria and Turkey are prime examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Will there be proper announcement at 8.30 - 45 of the cases confirmed today.
    I misread that as

Will there be proper announcement at 8.30 - of the 45 cases confirmed today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

dan786 wrote: »
    Source?

Widespread school and university closures

• Advertisement

Sensible precautions.

Currently on day 5 of 12 in a large public hospital. Hospital operating well. Everyone rowing in. Suspected patients rapidly triaged and moved through the system. Tests performed rapidly when appropriate. Guidelines updated daily including this afternoon.

If there is a large spike various options being discussed and contingency plans being made and reviewed daily.

Any of the experts here want to come in and do a few days at the weekend? Seem to know much better than anyone here anyway.

Nobody knows what will happen. Could it get difficult, absolutely. But it’s not the circus either.

Firstly thank you for your service.

Secondly I don’t think anyone here has an issue with staff in hospitals. Upper management screws you guys day to day virus or no virus. I think most people are upset with the lack of preparation taken given the amount of time we as a island nation had to prepare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I would have thought that Dublin would be hit hard with this but Cork seems to have the most worrying cases now. We still don't know how that patient got it no link with China or Italy or being overseas.

I guess Cork will manage strong and capable people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There won't be school and college closures yet. Schools are low risk, so that won't happen for a while.

Tonight's update will likely present 5-15 new cases and a change of strategy. They will mostly withdraw from contact tracing and will move to self-isolation for anyone worried as well as giving ambulances/emergency crews the ability to carry out tests.
    Hospitals will all be advised to go into lockdown, people will be advised against any non-urgent international travel, and organisers of large gatherings advised to consider postponing if they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    Ah here.

You wash your hands to protect YOUR OWN BLOODY SELF from bugs you've come into contact with, primarily.

Just...honestly...I give up. Stop washing your hands so.

Can't do much with that type of thinking really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

thomas 123 wrote: »
    When you think about it, it would have made much more sense to have a centralized Facility(s) to treat all
    cases and Suspect cases.

North Korea style.
    12792432484_25a160b02e_z.jpg?itok=0Go-LPtj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

We're not going to ban parades but we will cause massive disruption with serious knock on effects to our economy by closing schools and University. Nowhere near that point yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

Ambos seen picking someone up in full hazmat suits in Carlow town. Is this the new protocol now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Dante7 wrote: »
    Spanish flu had a mean R0 of 2. Covid-19 has a current R0 of 2.28.

99% of Spanish Flu deaths in the USA were under 65. Covid is lethal to people over that age. SF infected about 500 million people, cover won't get anywhere near that number, or it's mortality rates.

Give over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Encouraging news on the fatality rate of Covid-19 from South Korea, the only country with a proper testing program:
    With 140,000 people tested, the country’s mortality rate is just over 0.6 per cent compared to the 3.4 per cent global average reported by the WHO
    Various factors can influence this percentage, but scientists agree that all things being equal, it is more accurate when more people are tested

....And while experts caution that it is still too early to draw firm conclusions, the picture emerging in South Korea – which has the most confirmed cases outside China but with a more transparent political environment – suggests the virus could be less lethal than patchier data emerging from elsewhere.

“If we can test more people – whether they have no symptoms, mild or severe disease – the results, including the case fatality rate, are more accurate and representative when the whole disease spectrum is taken into consideration,” said David Hui Shu-cheong, an expert in respiratory medicine at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. “Most countries just focus on testing the hospitalised patients who obviously have more severe disease, and [thus] the fatality rate is high.”

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-environment/article/3065187/coronavirus-south-koreas-aggressive-testing-gives

On the other hand, a 0.6% fatality rate means far more infections in the community that have not been detected. For each death there will be 166 infections, and that is still six times the fatality rate of regular flu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

If a cute Italian girl offered you a ride today, would you take up the offer?

• Advertisement

North Korea style.
    12792432484_25a160b02e_z.jpg?itok=0Go-LPtj

Yeah lol that sounded a bit extreme alright, you know what I mean though.

Given that the vast majority of cases are “capable of treating at home”(news) then isolation facilities away from our hospitals where our most vulnerable people are would make sense in my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I like scary rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Cute enough might be worth it !!
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Odds on that. A lot lower than catching catching the virus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

For 2 days Id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Gintonious wrote: »
    99% of Spanish Flu deaths in the USA were under 65. Covid is lethal to people over that age. SF infected about 500 million people, cover won't get anywhere near that number, or it's mortality rates.

Give over.

Sinn Fein's voters may appear brainwashed but calling them infected is a bit much :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

As long as she brings her own hand sanitiser...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I haven't been on top of this thread as it's going so fast but I'm told 2 people in Arklow now have this

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Does that article say anything about schools in Ireland? I didn't see a mention of any announcement tonight either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

macwal wrote: »
    As long as she brings her own hand sanitiser...

Might be a bit raw on the willie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement