Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Or maybe they're trying to take a rational approach to things instead of totally ****ting the bed over a grand total of 18 cases in the country.

Not rational at all. 18 confirmed probably much higher, new cases coming in from Italy all the time. Can we not learn from Wuhan and Northern Italy, we are heading into a massive problem and the Titanic's Captain is urging full speed ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Empty_Space

Has anyone been watching the press conference (I'm not able to).

I wold love to know if the following questions were asked:

- how many tests are HSE carrying out every day?
    - how long does it take for a test result to come back?
    - how many test kits do we have in the country (ie. how many days testing can we do?)

Why would they tell us idiots that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Hmmm what could it mean? When do most people do their weekly shop?

I personally like to go shopping on a saturday morning. Get it out of the way kinda thing. Much like like the government deals with a deadly pathogen it seems. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

They said there would be a press release
    Very convenient, you can't question a press release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭crossman47

daheff wrote: »
    It's not doubling everyday though.

We went from 13 to 18 today. ~40%
    Sat would be 18 to around 25
    Sun around 25 to 35
    Mon then 35 to 49

HSE will announce jump from 18 to 49 on Monday then. That'll get some notice

No. They will issue a press release with tomorrows numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

When all this is over, there will be some hard questions to be answered about why the HSE thought that temperature screening at the airports, of people coming from known hotspots, was not worthwhile!!

If it only picked up one of those who were already at the stage of shedding virus, It would have saved our stretched public health services a contact tracing wild goose chase.

Their excuse… it would not have picked all of the cases and something about taking paracetamol !

I don’t know of any biological test which is 100% accurate !

The Chinese check temperatures everywhere… and they have slowed the disease.

airport screening for this virus simply does not work. there is worldwide consensus on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

It’s probably tinfoil hat but I don’t trust their numbers tonight. One reason for me is because they announced the 7 cases last last night and said contact tracing was complete by this morning. There is no way in hell it could have been fully completed for 7 people in that time frame. Less than 24hrs? Including a case that was in a hospital? So I was thinking last night they must be doing contract tracing before counting them in the numbers. If so that is definitely going to lead to delay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

These daily updates are pointless, nothing informative is shared. Leading to more and more speculation.

Ireland once again run by apes

Every other country in the world is doing the exact same. But don't let reality get in the way of your hatred for the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Sun around 25 to 35
    Mon then 35 to 49

It can only double if they test enough people ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

It’s probably tinfoil hat but I don’t trust their numbers tonight. One reason for me is because they announced the 7 cases last last night and said contact tracing was complete by this morning. There is no way in hell it could have been fully completed for 7 people in that time frame. Less than 24hrs? Including a case that was in a hospital? So I was thinking last night they must be doing contract tracing before counting them in the numbers. If so that is definitely going to lead to delay
    Did he not say he was updated with the numbers at 7 o clock that’s what caused the delay that they were most recent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Juwwi wrote: »
    With regards to the masks advice , Dr Tony Holohan saying again tonight we aren't advising that people wear masks as they don't work .

they only stop people passing the virus on but doesn't stop people getting it .

Surely if everybody wore the masks it would stop those that don't know they have it passing it on .

Supplies are limited, not enough masks for everyone, health workers need them, (and I agree) so general narrative is .. Masks not worth it. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

These daily updates are pointless, nothing informative is shared. Leading to more and more speculation.

Ireland once again run by apes

Fully agreed. There is a pig-headed lack of transparency in our setup. It's endemic itself.
    Personally i don't agree with what the the south koreans have been doing tracking individuals diagnosed (worth looking into) but most countries are stating the exact region or city. Why so vague? We're not that small!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

they are very cagey when answering questions, claiming semantics if requestioned on the original answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sun around 25 to 35
    Mon then 35 to 49

48hr backlog in Test results, I'd estimate around 1200 tested yesterday which haven't had results back yet. Close to 400 tested yesterday in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Sun around 25 to 35
    Mon then 35 to 49

I know it's not doubling everyday.

Anyway my original point is that before the press conference, the IT reported that "a significant" number of new cases and TV3 reported "new cases almost doubled". Then we get five as the official announcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I think we're all just a bit of an MTV generation, we want it now now now. 1 month from the first cluster of cases in every country has seen figures into the thousands.

I think by the last week of March we'll have many thousands infected and let's hope we don't have anywhere near a 3/4% cfr.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

earlier in the week I said I didnt like our leaders but at least they are not actively trying to kill the general public like the Trump admin seems to be doing.

Now I am not so sure.

Could be. I don't know.

This will defo be a supply side problem though.

How many people have it? -> limiting factor how many tests do we have?
    How many people are in hospital? -> How many beds do we have?
    How many people in ICU? -> How many ICU beds do we have?
    How many people will die? -> whatever is left over.
    Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    It can only double if they test enough people ....

Control the funnel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

If a person in Trinity college has it, almost certainly a few hundred are in the process of developing symptoms and spreading it further. Don't test and keep the numbers down is clearly the approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I think we're all just a bit of an MTV generation, we want it now now now. 1 month from the first cluster of cases in every country has seen figures into the thousands.

I think by the last week of March we'll have many thousands infected and let's hope we don't have anywhere near a 3/4% cfr.

Rate of increase will probably mirror that of other European countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

What do you mean?

You hold a press conference at 8pm and present figures from a report you received earlier in the day - so how much earlier - midday? The report itself is based in in test reports provided even earlier.

The Irish Times article is closely matching the numbers I am hearing so the media is getting more up to date information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

If a person in Trinity college has it, almost certainly a few hundred are in the process of developing symptoms and spreading it further. Don't test and keep the numbers down is clearly the approach.

I think we're getting a dose of trickle truth from the HSE...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Its over

I thought it was due at 8.30

Totally agree. And there is likely a large proportion of protestants so points for the civil war parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

One of the objectives of this psy op has been achieved. https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0306/1120663-coronavirus-garda-harris/

Disgusting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Is it safe to go for a few pints this weekend?
    I could bring my own glass.

And be extra extra careful around the demon women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Rate of increase will probably mirror that of other European countries.

Probably way worse here as it's an Island, it will spread like wildfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Is it safe to go for a few pints this weekend?
    I could bring my own glass.

And be extra extra careful around the demon women.

Bring your own beer

Just in case . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Is there any reason why an island is worse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭giveitholly

How does living on an island make it worse for the virus to spread?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement