Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

In fairness to the HSE... lack of public services happens in every country which has embraced the neo-liberal agenda.

Milton Friedman and the Chicago School have a lot to answer for, as have our politicians who are disciples of Ayn Rand's ravings in her books.

The neo-liberal mantras of ‘deregulation’ and ‘low tax’ ‘small government’ and 'privatization' has caused a chronic under-funding of public health services everywhere. Tax giveaways to the ultra-rich and a failure of big companies to pay their fair share in tax, has led to defunding of the welfare state, government services, the regulatory state, and the public good.

The WHO and agencies like the CDC in the states are THE organizations capable of surveillance for impending public health emergencies and coordinating meaningful responses to global health threats. They depend on funding to be able to be able to their job and it has not been forthcoming recently and in fact funding has been cut.

You don't fund public services... they will not be there when you really really need them !

Like now !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Probably way worse here as it's an Island, it will spread like wildfire.

Why would an island make things worse? I'd rather live here than be travelling around London on the tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

the death rate is almost certainly way below 3.4%. i suspect the WHO put out that crude number (which flys in the face of their normal death rate cautious approach) to try and scare some countries into taking this more seriously, namely the US. there are testing problems and shortages in a number of countries and some countries are not testing as much anymore, only symptomatic patients. not to mention large numbers of infected that have very mild symptoms or none at all. one thing that does get reported accurately is deaths for obvious reasons. and so we have a vastly overestimated death rate.

it would not be unreasonable to estimate current death rate as below 1% if not below 0.5%.

leavingirl wrote: »
    One of the objectives of this psy op has been achieved. https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0306/1120663-coronavirus-garda-harris/

Disgusting.

?
    What is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Is there any reason why an island is worse?

Yeah, the virus can't swim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

So this is why I care so much…

A letter came in the post this afternoon for my son’s next Pulmonary Function Test in early April.

What a cruel irony. I can’t begin to describe how this makes me feel.

Will it even happen a month from now…and as for the rest …I’m not going there… It’s too hard...

We’ve done everything. We’ve prepared. We are the ones who bought masks, hand sanitizer and started stocking up at the end of January and we had to dumb it down for fear of being mocked.

Here’s our little ‘At Risk’ group; Our 20 year old boy who still believes in Santa, watches Bob the Builder & Postman Pat; who has never known a day without medication; who can’t sleep without his bedtime story; who doesn’t know how to shave but who asked ‘what is the illness daddy? Does it means die?’ No love! It doesn’t mean die, No!

I cannot figure out when it is time to keep him in. I have a months’ worth of food. There has to be more of us! Waiting…..

The authorities, ‘the experts’, just kept saying ‘No Need to Panic’ and that is what the people heard and so they remained complacent, cavalier even. Some of us don’t have that luxury.

Some of us have been on a knife’s edge since last January; watching, waiting, hoping, preparing & stocking. We’ve watched people get on planes, go skiing and fly back from Milan right into our area.

When we ask ‘Where?!!’ ‘Where is the outbreak, please tell us?!!!’ ‘Please tell us the town/village area…please! because we are scared. ..because it really really matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

We're taking the Trump approach here. Downplay and have limited testing.....if you don't test then your numbers will be low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

crossman47 wrote: »

They said no briefing but they will be issuing the numbers. The post about playing golf is uncalled for. These people are working much harder than any of us who have time to post here.
    You see them clock in and out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

leavingirl wrote: »
    One of the objectives of this psy op has been achieved. https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0306/1120663-coronavirus-garda-harris/

Disgusting.

No surprise.

Guards have same power as

FBI
    State tropper

Homeland security
    SAS
    SBS

and any other acronym you can think of.

Get back in your gaf or else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is there any reason why an island is worse?

Can only speak for my own castle but we've criss crossed the country this week, I've been in 2 hotspots and the other half in 1. We've covered a lot of ground. Not to mention who the kids across 2 School have came in contact with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Will there be other ways to find out about the virus in Ireland or do we have to wait for HSE to finish their weekend getaway, they are so useless and will have blood on their hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

A letter came in the post this afternoon for my son’s next Pulmonary Function Test in early April.

Will it even happen a month from now…and as for the rest …I’m not going there… It’s too hard...

We’ve done everything. We’ve prepared. We are the ones who bought masks, hand sanitizer and started stocking up at the end of January and we had to dumb it down for fear of being mocked.

Here’s our little ‘At Risk’ group; Our 20 year old boy who still believes in Santa, watches Bob the Builder & Postman Pat; who has never known a day without medication; who can’t sleep without his bedtime story; who doesn’t know how to shave but who asked ‘what is the illness daddy? Does it means die?’ No love! It doesn’t mean die, No!

I cannot figure out when it is time to keep him in. I have a months’ worth of food. There has to be more of us! Waiting…..

The authorities, ‘the experts’, just kept saying ‘No Need to Panic’ and that is what the people heard and so they remained complacent, cavalier even. Some of us don’t have that luxury.

Some of us have been on a knife’s edge since last January; watching, waiting, hoping, preparing & stocking. We’ve watched people get on planes, go skiing and fly back from Milan right into our area.

When we ask ‘Where?!!’ ‘Where is the outbreak, please tell us?!!!’ ‘Please tell us the town/village area…please! because we are scared. ..because it really really matters.

That's tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

givyjoe wrote: »
    Like the wights then?
    We need a few dragons and we’re set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

niallo27 wrote: »
    You would actually have a billion euro.

I've never found any banks willing to offer me a savings account with 100% compound interest per day...:( I keep looking out for it in hope though.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Some people on here are absolutely devastated that there aren't more cases in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

My heart goes to you x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

froog wrote: »
    airport screening for this virus simply does not work. there is worldwide consensus on that.

Really? According to who?

Why are China, Italy and other countries now doing screening at Airports?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Dude, don’t take your advice from here please.

Best wishes with the lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Some people on here are absolutely devastated that there aren't more cases in Ireland

Low shot and hateful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

No surprise.

Guards have same power as

FBI
    State tropper

Homeland security
    SAS
    SBS

and any other acronym you can think of.

Get back in your gaf or else.

The guards don't deal with travellers, they sure as hell ain't dealing no infected people lmao.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

gozunda wrote: »
    Really? According to who?

Why are China, Italy and other countries now doing screening at Airports?

So is Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

If a person in Trinity college has it, almost certainly a few hundred are in the process of developing symptoms and spreading it further. Don't test and keep the numbers down is clearly the approach.

Trinity were off this week, so yes while there could well be some its are least limited

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Who? Are you?

crossman47 wrote: »

They said no briefing but they will be issuing the numbers. The post about playing golf is uncalled for. These people are working much harder than any of us who have time to post here.

Agree. Rock and a hard place territory. The lack of political leadership is super worrying though. “Catch the grenade going on”

I've been working very hard though to warn society of the imminent danger it faces. I was up till 3am 2 nights ago referencing medical journals / translating Italian to warn people we need to get real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

48hr backlog in Test results, I'd estimate around 1200 tested yesterday which haven't had results back yet. Close to 400 tested yesterday in cork.
    Where are you getting these numbers from?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

I bought pasta and toilet paper today .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Dude, don’t take your advice from here please.

Best wishes with the lad.

For sure, Listen to the HSE:rolleyes:

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    The guards don't deal with travellers, they sure as hell ain't dealing no infected people lmao.

Give them an UZI and they are fairly keen add in a gas mask and who knows what will happen :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

givyjoe wrote: »
    It could be in faeces and come ashore and up through the rivers and streams like salmon.:confused:

• Advertisement

Trinity were off this week, so yes while there could well be some its are least limited

Only undergrad. Postgrad classes proceeded as normal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement