Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Where are you getting these numbers from?

A nurse who was tested yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

So this is why I care so much…

A letter came in the post this afternoon for my son’s next Pulmonary Function Test in early April.

What a cruel irony. I can’t begin to describe how this makes me feel.

Will it even happen a month from now…and as for the rest …I’m not going there… It’s too hard...

We’ve done everything. We’ve prepared. We are the ones who bought masks, hand sanitizer and started stocking up at the end of January and we had to dumb it down for fear of being mocked.

Here’s our little ‘At Risk’ group; Our 20 year old boy who still believes in Santa, watches Bob the Builder & Postman Pat; who has never known a day without medication; who can’t sleep without his bedtime story; who doesn’t know how to shave but who asked ‘what is the illness daddy? Does it means die?’ No love! It doesn’t mean die, No!

I cannot figure out when it is time to keep him in. I have a months’ worth of food. There has to be more of us! Waiting…..

The authorities, ‘the experts’, just kept saying ‘No Need to Panic’ and that is what the people heard and so they remained complacent, cavalier even. Some of us don’t have that luxury.

Some of us have been on a knife’s edge since last January; watching, waiting, hoping, preparing & stocking. We’ve watched people get on planes, go skiing and fly back from Milan right into our area.

When we ask ‘Where?!!’ ‘Where is the outbreak, please tell us?!!!’ ‘Please tell us the town/village area…please! because we are scared. ..because it really really matters.
    I really, really hope everything works out for yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭juno10353

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar

Temple bar getting busy, just like normal Friday night. See above live webcam. Virus down the road at Trinity not stopping tourists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭fits

A letter came in the post this afternoon for my son’s next Pulmonary Function Test in early April.

Will it even happen a month from now…and as for the rest …I’m not going there… It’s too hard...

We’ve done everything. We’ve prepared. We are the ones who bought masks, hand sanitizer and started stocking up at the end of January and we had to dumb it down for fear of being mocked.

Here’s our little ‘At Risk’ group; Our 20 year old boy who still believes in Santa, watches Bob the Builder & Postman Pat; who has never known a day without medication; who can’t sleep without his bedtime story; who doesn’t know how to shave but who asked ‘what is the illness daddy? Does it means die?’ No love! It doesn’t mean die, No!

I cannot figure out when it is time to keep him in. I have a months’ worth of food. There has to be more of us! Waiting…..

The authorities, ‘the experts’, just kept saying ‘No Need to Panic’ and that is what the people heard and so they remained complacent, cavalier even. Some of us don’t have that luxury.

Some of us have been on a knife’s edge since last January; watching, waiting, hoping, preparing & stocking. We’ve watched people get on planes, go skiing and fly back from Milan right into our area.

When we ask ‘Where?!!’ ‘Where is the outbreak, please tell us?!!!’ ‘Please tell us the town/village area…please! because we are scared. ..because it really really matters.

That’s really hard. I have a boy with a rare disease so I understand a little. I think the town/village doesn’t matter so much because you need to act as if it’s already there. There will always be a lag to diagnosis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If they don't change the testing criteria soon I can envisage one of the tabloids with the headline of someone whose member of family has died while waiting to be tested or not passing the testing criteria. Lets hope it doesn't get to that stage

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭ax530

First case was school in Dublin all the other students in isolation still & being tested I presume if any symptoms. does not seem to be any large numbers added in 'east' so I'm presuming the plan is working for those contact s.
    If everyone keeps up washing hands and not touching face hopefully can keep it at bay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The airlines
    200.gif

The public to HSE
    giphy.gif

Leo
    giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

juno10353 wrote: »

Temple bar getting busy, just like normal Friday night. See above live webcam. Virus down the road at Trinity not stopping tourists.

And why would it?

Chances are most people will be grand anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,916 ✭✭✭✭banie01

boege wrote: »
    Folks,
    Living down here in the so called 'West' and have a lot of contacts working in the HSE and they are agog at what has just been presented tonight.

Does anyone know what time cut off they used for today's numbers?

Same here and in the "west" too.
    Incredulity from some medical friends at tonight's number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

banie01 wrote: »

How so?

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I don't trust the HSE as far as I could throw them. Is it any wonder after all the scandals.

I have an undiagnosed respitory condition and I literally gave up on finding out what it was with its 2 year wait lists between appointments. Now I'll probably pay for that.

Additionally You have young kids with scoliosis living lives of absolute agony years on end awaiting an op. You have an 8 year old lad from Wexford crying because his heart op was cancelled for the 8th time and he can't play with his friends. You have false cancer screening resulting in mothers being taken away from their kids too young. You have hundreds of people lying in corridors without dignity on trollies every winter. You have dead bodies out in the open. You have a children's hospital built in the worst location now at bloated up to 5 times its original cost that we all pay for. The list goes on.

**** the HSE beaurocrats and the shambolic Governments that have stood shoulder to shoulder with them. They are detestable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Agree. Rock and a hard place territory. The lack of political leadership is super worrying though. “Catch the grenade going on”

I've been working very hard though to warn society of the imminent danger it faces. I was up till 3am 2 nights ago referencing medical journals / translating Italian to warn people we need to get real.
    Agree.
    Epidemiology, best medical practice and science should be the cornerstone of any response not some short political opportunism or hubris

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

More of a chance of getting an STI there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,238 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If a person in Trinity college has it, almost certainly a few hundred are in the process of developing symptoms and spreading it further. Don't test and keep the numbers down is clearly the approach.

That’s hyperbole and hysterics.

It could well be a researcher back from Italy working in a lab who barely interacts with anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Go Home Paddy Cat!!

on the RTE 9pm news, it's being said that st patricks day celebrations will go ahead.

I quote: "People who are unwell are being urged no to go".

What a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

banie01 wrote: »

The number is correct, next week will probably see a major increase, going on the time line of the exposure in Clare and Cork.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Why do HSE want low numbers? You know what's worse? A death at case number 25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Your son is the exact kind of person I have in mind when I feel such anger over the way this is being handled here. I can’t bare the “for the vast majorly this is a mild illness” lark. Yes, but for a distinct subset this is going to be very difficult to fight, these people are doing all they can to ensure they are protected but what are you doing to help dear government? Sweet FA by the looks of things.

I hope ye manage okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Some people on here are absolutely devastated that there aren't more cases in Ireland
    As someone with a compromised immune system who has to be careful in crowded areas, I am devastated that we are been lied to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

on the RTE 9pm news, it's being said that st patricks day celebrations will go ahead.

What a joke.

Explain? What’s the joke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The news just said 3 additional in the south, this isn't in line with the 8 30 release?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I’m watching all this happen from afar in California. Over here people are really freaked. You’d swear WW3 was about to kick off. One good thing has happened though. Retailer started price gauging hand sanitisers etc. A rule was passed quite rapidly to ban price gauging of certain products and there is a method to report retailers who do it in place.

While this is a nasty flu some of the scaremongering and coverage is crazy, creating a bigger issue and sense of hysteria.

Suggestions of banning flights from northern Italy are just ridiculous given this is the EU. Free movement of people just means people will reroute which would only serve to potentially make things worse.

The whole focus on the need for proper personal hygiene is highlighting how poor personal hygiene many people have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Jesus Christ this thread has reached a new low.

18 confirmed cases and were spying on how many are out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

What a joke.

st Patrick day grand marshals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

faceman wrote: »
    I’m watching all this happen from afar in California. Over here people are really freaked. You’d swear WW3 was about to kick off. One good thing has happened though. Retailer started price gauging hand sanitisers etc. A rule was passed quite rapidly to ban price gauging of certain products and there is a method to report retailers who do it in place.

While this is a nasty flu some of the scaremongering and coverage is crazy, creating a bigger issue and sense of hysteria.

Suggestions of banning flights from northern Italy are just ridiculous given this is the EU. Free movement of people just means people will reroute which would only serve to potentially make things worse.

The whole focus on the need for proper personal hygiene is highlighting how poor personal hygiene many people have.

All the Barry's tea was gone in Tesco Ballincollig earlier, believe me we are taking this seriously

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Trump signed 8 billion dollar bill into fighting virus and finding a vaccine.

Il say it on all of your behalf.

Thank you president Trump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

France/Ireland game going ahead next weekend in Paris per the Irish Times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

What a joke.
    Jesus, how condescending can they get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Amen to that. My 17 year old non verbal. We were supposed to go on hols in April. Big nope to that now.. Sooo sick of the lack of info because. ' economy is king' if we were fricking cattle, ports would be shut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

blanch152 wrote: »
    That’s hyperbole and hysterics.

It could well be a researcher back from Italy working in a lab who barely interacts with anyone else.

He need only Interact with one person.

But how do you think he gets there..? By being beamed in?! Does he eat lunch on his own? No friends or family?!

Some people just can't accept reality.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement