Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Come here to me, and this is going to sound really stupid but go easy on me right. When they go on about community transmission.. surely its all community transmission no? Sure it’s not the region of italy that’s infected it’s the people in it. Isn’t everyone who is infected getting it from person to person? Splain it to me slowly.

The reason it’s important is because it suggests the “carrier” who passed it on has been wandering around the local community shedding everywhere with no way of tracing them, as opposed to someone who was infected abroad and *might* not have passed it on to others yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Irish passport holders quarantined also.

US, UK and every other country with an airforce did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The RTE report of the 22 cases.

That's including N.I in a whole island count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hurrache wrote: »
    But it currently is a low risk. What's with all the mentalers convinced the HSE are lying to us? And I'm not quite sure who's pulling the strings either, the HSE, big business or Leo himself.

What's their projected risk for 10 days time?
    It's absurd to talk about risk today as if it is a fixed constant.
    It is like looking at a small fire and assuming it won't get any bigger.
    It's weasel words.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The RTE report of the 22 cases.

Hamming up the numbers to make it look worse - Does Spain include Italy's numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Why are people stocking up on toilet roll? Are they expecting a savage bout of the runs or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

skimpydoo wrote: »
    They never mentioned the person in Trinity College plus the fact that I don't think the Irish Times was lying earlier. Oh and the fact that various posters on here have said the correct figures are not been given. But the biggest giveaway is that you can tell they are lying every time their lips move.

Its not that they are lying its what time cut off are they using when the report the figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Some experts are advising that you should sneeze into your elbow.

Elbow touching is also now the new form of greeting supposedly.

How absolutely thick are some people? Sneeze into your elbow then go and touch someone else with it? We're doomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

A nurse who was tested yesterday.
    I still don't know how they would be told the numbers by the person who just took her swab sample.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Cuckoo7 wrote: »
    Taking into account right until now all the infected have been irish passport holders I don’t see how your idea would have helped.

Of course it would, two weeks for them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Deco99 wrote: »
    Just putting a marker up here. Heard we've had our first death. Hopefully it's just fake news. Just wondering if that's doing thevrounds

Influenza A kills several hundred people every year in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Ohmeha wrote: »
    I've been saying it all along, until there is WIDESPREAD fatalities due to this virus (which there sadly will be) then the country will wake the F-up and realise the short window of opportunity to minimize deaths was wasted by FG/Varadkar/Harris/Holohan/HSE determining that setting up a table at Dublin Airport to hand out leaflets to travelers in from Northern Italy was the most effective preemptive measure to save lives

What would you have done as a matter of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-ireland-five-new-cases-confirmed-in-republic-1.4195050

Is that the article with numbers?
    It was edited 26min ago. Did it say something else before?
    Yeah, it said big surge in numbers to be announced, or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-ireland-five-new-cases-confirmed-in-republic-1.4195050

Is that the article with numbers?
    It was edited 26min ago. Did it say something else before?

Earlier it said "a significant number of new cases".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Annabella1 wrote: »

Yup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Why are people stocking up on toilet roll? Are they expecting a savage bout of the runs or something?

All the pasta..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

wss56RD

Thought it was hilarious that the Lyons tea was still left

**** tea

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

Because people are going crazy buying tinned beans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Its to wipe the sh#t off the fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

1st? death of Irish citizen from COVID 19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

US, UK and every other country with an airforce did.

We're are you going to put all the people who need quarantine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Cuckoo7 wrote: »
    Yeah, it said big surge in numbers to be announced, or something similar.
    The hse are extremely proactive when it comes to getting articles changed or removed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Annabella1 wrote: »

Of which there is a vaccination for, unforunately there isn't for this yet.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Where are the reports of a death coming from. Can we stop repeating it if it's unconfirmed rumour.

It's not very helpful. I am aware that i just repeated it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

If we’re a few weeks behind Italy as many believe, anyone know what it’s like over there right now? I mean we’ve got the numbers and they look grim, but what is the day to day like? People staying at home or going to work, businesses open or operating, etc? Obviously different regions are different depending on intensity of outbreak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Some experts are advising that you should sneeze into your elbow.

Elbow touching is also now the new form of greeting supposedly.

How absolutely thick are some people? Sneeze into your elbow then go and touch someone else with it? We're doomed.
    Try touching your face with your elbow after

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

faceman wrote: »
    I’m watching all this happen from afar in California. Over here people are really freaked. You’d swear WW3 was about to kick off. One good thing has happened though. Retailer started price gauging hand sanitisers etc. A rule was passed quite rapidly to ban price gauging of certain products and there is a method to report retailers who do it in place.

While this is a nasty flu some of the scaremongering and coverage is crazy, creating a bigger issue and sense of hysteria.

Suggestions of banning flights from northern Italy are just ridiculous given this is the EU. Free movement of people just means people will reroute which would only serve to potentially make things worse.

The whole focus on the need for proper personal hygiene is highlighting how poor personal hygiene many people have.
    Brainwashed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Good work people.

Let’s all meet back here Monday morning 0900hrs for a briefing.

And remember,
    Be careful out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Imagine how much worse it would be now if they hadn't?

Perhaps it wouldn't be as bad:

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/europe/article/3052450/italy-reeling-coronavirus-outbreak-discovers-what-its-be-chinese

See also WHO advice is still against travel bans. I note that they still advise aggressive containment though.

https://www.who.int/ith/2019-nCoV_advice_for_international_traffic-rev/en/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement