Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Erm, do you know what a pandemic is? :confused:

We can't pick or choose whether we are part of a pandemic or not.

The WHO state whether it's a pandemic or not, and as of yet it's not.

Problems for gig economy workers and this illness well illustrated in this article. I'd say a lot with mild symptoms will dismiss it as a dose of the cold/mild flu etc and keep on going due to them having f**k all employment rights with all the consequences attached.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/i-was-a-gig-economy-employee-with-a-virus-who-couldn-t-afford-to-self-isolate-1.4192967

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Dytalus wrote: »
    Wearing a mask when not sick very likely is ineffective. I'm willing to listen to the world experts on this sort of thing before members of the general public. And considering countries are reporting mask shortages, it might actually be actively unhelpful. The virus can get into the body via areas not covered by anything other than a full face mask, and washing your hands regularly is much better at preventing both the spread of, and your own, infection. Plus the outside of the mask can become contaminated so unless you're careful when removing it, that can lead to your infection anyway.

Leaving the masks for people who are coughing/sneezing (either because of COVID-19 or generic flu - we're at the tail end of flu season after all), or people who are healthcare workers, is much more effective at preventing the spread of diseases than if those masks are in the hands of uninfected people who may not use or dispose of them correctly.

So you are saying it would be better for others to sneeze or cough directly into your face and get contaminated that way rather than wearing a mask and that getting contaminated? Grand so.

Wearing the correct type of mask eg N95 respiratory type will certainly help to prevent infection especially in places where close contact for an extended period is likely ie on crowded buses or trains.

You could make the same claims about not washing your hands correctly or not disposing of snotty tissues. The whole point of wearing a mask when not infected is to not get infected. If wearing a mask only cuts down only a proportion of all infections then thats a positive.

I had to laugh that it was the WHO - who started this whole anti mask thing - for one of their own to show up at a press conference wearing one. You really couldnt make it up tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Im just after receiving a package from the postman and signing that thingy.

Dont forget to wash your hands!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

owlbethere wrote: »
    Hopefully boards.ie will be going strong in 100 years from now and people in the future can read them and look back on some history.

History is rarely kind to people of the past. If they have such details logs in the future they will think very little of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭s982102

Wearing a mask when not sick very likely is ineffective. I'm willing to listen to the world experts on this sort of thing before members of the general public. And considering countries are reporting mask shortages, it might actually be actively unhelpful. The virus can get into the body via areas not covered by anything other than a full face mask, and washing your hands regularly is much better at preventing both the spread of, and your own, infection. Plus the outside of the mask can become contaminated so unless you're careful when removing it, that can lead to your infection anyway.

Leaving the masks for people who are coughing/sneezing (either because of COVID-19 or generic flu - we're at the tail end of flu season after all), or people who are healthcare workers, is much more effective at preventing the spread of diseases than if those masks are in the hands of uninfected people who may not use or dispose of them correctly.

Wearing masks don't guarantee to be safe. I fully agree with that. Washing hands is essential regardless wearing masks or not. But wearing masks can give extra protection than not wearing. That can stop the virus from going into the body from the nose and mouth. HSE should inform people how to properly use masks and protect themselves, not to tell people that wearing masks is useless. This is my point.

I think the reason they dont suggest wearing masks is that there aren't enough supplies. That is the problem to face and solve, and it shouldn't be a problem to go around...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

This. There seems to be a common (and constant) misconception about why you would wear a mask.

Masks are useful to contain the sneeze or cough droplets from those who are sick. They are not useful in preventing the healthy from 'ingesting' it - unless you're talking about a hardcore mask that is properly airtight and also covers your eyes.

In cities (usually Asia) where it is common to see people wearing masks on the streets (pre-coronavirus), it's usually a polite effort to avoid spreading their cold/flu rather than trying to avoid getting sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

When did George Lee get the Science correspondent gig? Thought he was Agricultural. The jump from RTÉ to Fine Gael and back again did him no harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Cw85 wrote: »
    haha no need to take it serious, 6 cases in the while country out of a population of over 4 million. The elderly and most at risk are more at risk from contracting the common flu and there's more change of them getting that.

Not really. There's a flu vaccine that many people do get.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

Has any official made any statement about how we might be going about detecting community transmission, even though it is obviously incredibly unlikely to occur?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

circadian wrote: »
    45 pages in 4 and a half hours. What's the turnover on these threads? Every 3 or 4 days?

Think of every post as a new infected person somewhere on earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

When did George Lee get the Science correspondent gig? Thought he was Agricultural. The jump from RTÉ to Fine Gael and back again did him no harm.

Science and agriculture I think

Maybe he did a agri science course :P

owlbethere wrote: »
    Not really. There's a flu vaccine that many people do get.

And many don't considering 170,000 people die of the common flu every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

6ix wrote: »
    This. There seems to be a common (and constant) misconception about why you would wear a mask.

Masks are useful to contain the sneeze or cough droplets from those who are sick. They are not useful in preventing the healthy from 'ingesting' it - unless you're talking about a hardcore mask that is properly airtight and also covers your eyes.

In cities (usually Asia) where it is common to see people wearing masks on the streets (pre-coronavirus), it's usually a polite effort to avoid spreading their cold/flu rather than trying to avoid getting sick.
    But I want my placebo and to hell with everyone else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

...If you get it you get it and stay at home for 14 days...

Exactly, and...

3rhluc.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

6ix wrote: »

People in many asian countries have been wearing masks while ill for a long time.
    Perhaps we will adopt that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

But I want my placebo and to hell with everyone else!
    Really its a good idea to have them. You could become infected and infect your family. But if you have them then you can use them straight away if you feel unwell....even if it turns out to be just flu ..better safe. IMO if you are on public transport we should keep our germs to ourselves.

macwal wrote: »

Exactly, this is life :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

An update on my earlier report of the grim situation in Limerick.

The fog lifted and (contrary to the forecast) the sun came out. The paint on the metal frame has dried now and I was able to apply a coat of varnish on the pickets which I'd removed from it before painting the frame.

So everything would be great if only this cough would go away. Much worse again this morning with a sore chest and putrid tasting sputum. The palpitations seem to have discontinued though.

It has probably already mentioned that the infected healthcare worker works in UHL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭sudzs

Wombatman wrote: »
    Think of every post as a new infected person somewhere on earth.

Shush! We'll have bloody Bono on the telly clapping his hands again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

tuxy wrote: »
    People in many asian countries have been wearing masks while ill for a long time.
    Perhaps we will adopt that now.

The HSE should just come clean and say that there is a shortage of masks in Ireland.. just like most western countries.

The WHO state whether it's a pandemic or not, and as of yet it's not.

What will make it a pandemic?

Some of the researchers or penguins on Antarctica catching it?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

And many don't considering 170,000 people die of the common flu every year!
    That's a world wide number where the vaccine isn't readily available for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

182 new cases in Germany?

macwal wrote: »
    What will make it a pandemic?

Some of the researchers or penguins on Antarctica catching it?

Ask the WHO, it's their call

sudzs wrote: »
    Shush! We'll have bloody Bono on the telly clapping his hands again!

And peeps aren't going to stop posting here either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

New recorded cases in China rise to 160 for the day (up from 131 this morning) + 1 new death (32 deaths for the day)

josip wrote: »
    Is it 2 schools in Clare that have closed or 3?
    Or are reports of 3 schools closed including the school already closed in Dublin?

Three secondary schools closed in Ennistymon and national school in Inagh. Think CBS in Ennistymon and national in Inagh are closed for 14 days but other two are closed for today anyway while they suss things out.

That's a world wide number where the vaccine isn't readily available for a lot of people.

The flu is responsible for 200-500 deaths each year in Ireland. In a severe season it maycause up to 1,000 deaths. Every year, hundreds of people are hospitalised with flu.

The HSE beg to differ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

An update on my earlier report of the grim situation in Limerick.

The fog lifted and (contrary to the forecast) the sun came out. The paint on the metal frame has dried now and I was able to apply a coat of varnish on the pickets which I'd removed from it before painting the frame.

So everything would be great if only this cough would go away. Much worse again this morning with a sore chest and putrid tasting sputum. The palpitations seem to have discontinued though.

It has probably already mentioned that the infected healthcare worker works in UHL..

AFAIK the CoronaVirus produces a dry cough - so unlikely you have it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement