Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

leavingirl wrote: »
    All fake 'epidemics'.
    He got very rich from them, though.

Tell that to the 11,000 people who got Ebola.
    Where can one get anti-bacterial handwash??

My point made for me. Our public information campaigns are so unashamedly useless that you don't know antibacterial is USELESS against a virus. You need antiviral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Michelinextra.

The vaste majority of both the misinformed, and brainless outrage in this thread is a complete and utter disgrace. Moaning about lack of location information, case numbers updates over the weekend, not stopping flights from Italy etc, really is a trail of ignorance. The blind leading the blind. The frustration seems motivated by a lack of details to feed this neverending thread of nonsense. As if releasing case data over the weekend will make any difference to the spread of the virus. A reminder that no one has died of speculation, or bulletin board posting frustration.

To set at least some of the record straight, I am free, and willing, to share the following at least with those capable of some rational thought :

The virus will spread throughout the community. The battle to prevent that has been now lost in all European countries. Its propagation will make the concern about 3 or 5 infections appear as nothing. The consequences are according to rates generally widely cited here. Several million will likely be infected in Ireland. Tens of thousands will likely die in Ireland.

The variable at play now is how long the process can be delayed to increase the number of survivors. The HSE, in this event at least, is no better nor worse than the health services of other European countries. Effectively non can handle what is coming to us. No service has a built in capability to handle a ramp up in demand for it services, in a period of a few months, by a factory of 300-400. None. Criticism of the HSE is entirely unjustified, and just knee jerk bitching.

Services simply will not cope. And people will die as a result. But there is simply no solution to this. The impact can only be reduced over the coming 12-18 months, by 1) reducing the number of HSE workers absent from duty at any one time due to being infected, and 2) reducing the number of the population needed hospitalisation at any one time. (as an aside, those who are diagnosed now or in the next 3-6 weeks are likely the luckiest - services may still be able to help them while numbers are only in the thousands. Those infected when the numbers reach the hundreds of thousands at the same time, will find they effectively have no health service available to them). We are likely powerless to influence either to a great degree - but it is the best course of action to attempt. At best, it will reduce cases and fatalities by a single digit percentage overall.

In the end, many will get over the illness with little or minor difficulty, and most of the fatalaties are sure to be the elderly. But there will be tragedies, and the world will be scarred in a way that it has not known since the second world war. Services and political leadership is baulking being so explicit with the truth. But even that matters little - what is going to happen now is unavoidable. The economic impact will be equally drastic and disruptive to life as people have known it for 75 years.

A mix of fact and sci-fi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

jackboy wrote: »
    Guy on late late just said that it is a version of the flu virus.

He's a dope. Is that the mental health expert. Just the flu bro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just watching the late late a bit behind.
    780+ tests and 18 cases....that isn't too bad?
    Is it in line with other countries I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Lady on late late just confirmed that test lab results take 24-48 hours to come in - if we add half a day delay to the press briefing then what has been reported tonight is positive cases admitted at some point last Wednesday.

This explains the difference in numbers reported tonight and what I am hearing from HSE workers and which the Irish Times also alluded to in their earlier article today with has since been updated to 'official' numbers.

I fully accept that a diagnosis is not the same as a positive lab test but I am speaking to experienced front line staff and they are speaking of a significant increase.

I am bleating on this point because our leaders are acting on potentially 48 hours old data in a very rapid moving situation. Containment is surely about timely intervention which means that you need to have (near as) real time data?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭123654789

t although I expect that the parade will be cancelled eventually. Probably at some point closer so that the people from abroad will come anyway and spend their money but won't be congregating in high risk large groups.

No, they'll congregate in smaller groups in pubs, get hammered and forget to sneeze into elbows or wash hands.

I wouldn't want to be a barman in the likes of Temple Bar right now.

Edit - Sorry Cilldara not having a go at you in case it sounds that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

Why wont FG take the L and cancel the parade?

They already lost the election. They can take the hit.

This decision if not blinded by greed is a spiteful attack on the public.

The UK Tory party lead by Boris GOD DAMN Johnson is taking this emergency more seriously then FG. How messed up is that?

Everyone's house around us is burning and we are still sitting in our bedrooms telling everyone tomorrows house party is still going ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

jackboy wrote: »
    Guy on late late just said that it is a version of the flu virus.

This is a painful evidence that the “experts” haven’t a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    800,000 an ICU bed ? According to Paul Reid 20 Million gets you 25 ICU Beds ..... ?

I'd imagine there's a lot of equipment that comes with the bed to keep the person alive also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

What about anti viral handwash

amazon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Godsh/t saying panic buying is a waste a time.

If it eases someones anxiety so be it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Tesco had loads of dettol hand wash

Myself and my wife both have disabilities - we need anti-bacterial handwash. Is Dettol anti-bacterial?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

spurious wrote: »
    If the parade is cancelled, will tourists not just jam the pubs?
    Is that not slightly counter-productive?

Totally. You cannot 'cancel' St Patrick's Day......people will treat it as a normal national holiday (they're hardly going to stay indoors like the internet panic merchants).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

VinLieger wrote: »
    3 people i know of who flew in from Italy last week have all tested positive, why in the holy living **** have we not stopped flights?
    Why have the HSE not mentioned them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

The vaste majority of both the misinformed, and brainless outrage in this thread is a complete and utter disgrace. Moaning about lack of location information, case numbers updates over the weekend, not stopping flights from Italy etc, really is a trail of ignorance. The blind leading the blind. The frustration seems motivated by a lack of details to feed this neverending thread of nonsense. As if releasing case data over the weekend will make any difference to the spread of the virus. A reminder that no one has died of speculation, or bulletin board posting frustration.

To set at least some of the record straight, I am free, and willing, to share the following at least with those capable of some rational thought :

The virus will spread throughout the community. The battle to prevent that has been now lost in all European countries. Its propagation will make the concern about 3 or 5 infections appear as nothing. The consequences are according to rates generally widely cited here. Several million will likely be infected in Ireland. Tens of thousands will likely die in Ireland.

The variable at play now is how long the process can be delayed to increase the number of survivors. The HSE, in this event at least, is no better nor worse than the health services of other European countries. Effectively non can handle what is coming to us. No service has a built in capability to handle a ramp up in demand for it services, in a period of a few months, by a factory of 300-400. None. Criticism of the HSE is entirely unjustified, and just knee jerk bitching.

Services simply will not cope. And people will die as a result. But there is simply no solution to this. The impact can only be reduced over the coming 12-18 months, by 1) reducing the number of HSE workers absent from duty at any one time due to being infected, and 2) reducing the number of the population needed hospitalisation at any one time. (as an aside, those who are diagnosed now or in the next 3-6 weeks are likely the luckiest - services may still be able to help them while numbers are only in the thousands. Those infected when the numbers reach the hundreds of thousands at the same time, will find they effectively have no health service available to them). We are likely powerless to influence either to a great degree - but it is the best course of action to attempt. At best, it will reduce cases and fatalities by a single digit percentage overall.

In the end, many will get over the illness with little or minor difficulty, and most of the fatalaties are sure to be the elderly. But there will be tragedies, and the world will be scarred in a way that it has not known since the second world war. Services and political leadership is baulking being so explicit with the truth. But even that matters little - what is going to happen now is unavoidable. The economic impact will be equally drastic and disruptive to life as people have known it for 75 years.

Wrap the thread up. The messiah has spoken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Actually there is a specific way to wash your hands to best remove any virus/bacteria. You can’t simply assume that you know how to wash them without training in a manner which will reach the level of protection which doctors and nurses can achieve.

Why would you be so flippant and denigrators towards actually learning something useful?

Listen in the same way that you could never possibly how to learn how to wash your hands in the right way, you could never learn how to wear a mask.

So why try?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,945 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Godsh/t saying panic buying is a waste a time.
    If it eases someones anxiety so be it,

And I thought the gubberment wanted us to keep spend, spend, spending...
    The spice euros must flow.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

sdanseo wrote: »
    Tell that to the 11,000 people who got Ebola.

My point made for me. Our public information campaigns are so unashamedly useless that you don't know antibacterial is USELESS against a virus. You need antiviral.

Where can that be got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Contradictory message on late late show , for gods sake get on with your lives, but be very very very careful about what you do like touching others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

gmisk wrote: »
    Just watching the late late a bit behind.
    780+ tests and 18 cases....that isn't too bad?
    Is it in line with other countries I wonder?

The deaths start rolling in around the 120-130 positive cases mark.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

VinLieger wrote: »
    3 people i know of who flew in from Italy last week have all tested positive, why in the holy living **** have we not stopped flights?

Are you bound by the same HSE level of confidentiality or can you give us a county?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

A mix of fact and sci-fi

I think it's on the money although the predicted deaths will be in the 5-10 thousand range. See my previous posts for a mathematical exercise in a previous iteration of the thread.

It will probably add 50% to the usual number of deaths from serious disease in Ireland this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

What about plainn ordinary detol surface cleaner thats antibac

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

He's a dope. Is that the mental health expert. Just the flu bro.

You just want the fear mongering to continue. You love it. I'd say you can't keep your eyes off Sky News. You've being had. You are totally and utterly brainwashed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Watching the late late and reading between the lines i believe they've given up on trying to stop it or even contain it properly , if they were really worried about containment they would be stopping flights and cancelling the parades. Their attitude reeks of theres nothing we can do so we will just pretend for as long as possible.

Heads should literally roll for the piss poor decisions that were made in the past 4 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭jackboy

Shameful piece on the late late. Blatant lies and propaganda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Ryan Tubridy just coined a new expression. We should take this with "calm urgency".

I thought a camergency was one of those live snuff video subscriptions you can get on the dark web.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Myself and my wife both have disabilities - we need anti-bacterial handwash. Is Dettol anti-bacterial?

Look for Hibiscrub, water it down to a pale pink in a spray bottle and use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yes, and also kills coronavirus like covid 19 so should also kill this virus.

According to their website because it's new it has not yet been tested but is effective on other coronavirus.

https://www.dettol.co.uk/about-us/understanding-coronavirus/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

They are engaging. In fact, people are on here complaining about them engaging. People are never happy

They could be a bit more engaging in fairness, all this hush hush about precise locations as if its some state secret, these people are supposed to work in our interest, no one wants to know the people names

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement