Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

re: Italy. You have to bear in mind the population it got into. It managed to get into hospitals and nursing homes before they realised they had it. Just by age alone and illness alone you could expect those places to have very high mortality.

The Washington State mortality rate is also skewed by nursing home involvement.

Sometimes detailed statistics distract from the big picture. The 4.whatever percent figure from Italy is misleading, the focus on daily rates of increase in Ireland are not as important as people here seem to think.

The key points are the big figures. WHO estimate of 40 to 70% of the worlds population infected over the next year and roughly 2% mortality. Some countries will have a higher death rate if they have more elderly people and poorer general public health.

The daily stats aren’t what we should focus on. We should focus on the big figures over the next year and hand washing and social distancing. The better we are at those the more likely we will reduce the numbers infected below 40 to 70% which will aid us all in general and specifically.

The big picture is all very well until it is your mum/dad/granny/grandad/diabetic/immunocompromised friend fighting for their lives with no medical assistance.

Hand washing and social distancing yes.

Also , mandatory work from home for those who can, early hols for school and college, online teaching for now. Major mind shift in Ireland, mandatory quarantine for incoming persons... That is what we should be focusing on, demanding actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Myself and my wife both have disabilities - we need anti-bacterial handwash. Is Dettol anti-bacterial?

Soap is anti-bacterial. Highstreet Soap with "anti-bacterial" stamped on it is simply marketing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

leavingirl wrote: »
    You just want the fear mongering to continue. You love it. I'd say you can't keep your eyes off Sky News. You've being had. You are totally and utterly brainwashed

It's not the f'n flu, was a dope of a thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

VinLieger wrote: »
    Watching the late late and reading between the lines i believe they've given up on trying to stop it or even contain it properly , if they were really worried about containment they would be stopping flights and cancelling the parades. Their attitude reeks of theres nothing we can do so we will just pretend for as long as possible.

Heads should literally roll for the piss poor decisions that were made in the past 4 weeks.

They don't want to cause panic. But they are working with the best available information. It probably is pointless stopping flights. The virus is here. There are probably 1,000s that have it. Most probably don't even realise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Myself and my wife both have disabilities - we need anti-bacterial handwash. Is Dettol anti-bacterial?

Yes, not being funny but the internet is your friend this is easily accessible information you can find online or even on Tesco website you don't need to ask someone else to go get you the information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Soap is anti-bacterial. Highstreet Soap with "anti-bacterial" stamped on it is simply marketing.
    I am guessing not all handwash is antibacterial though? Or is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Strazdas wrote: »
    Totally. You cannot 'cancel' St Patrick's Day......people will treat it as a normal national holiday (they're hardly going to stay indoors like the internet panic merchants).

Yes, but you wont have 1000s of people bunched up against a railing watching a parade.

Id happily go to the woods or the beach instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

It's so difficult to put together a protest in a situation like this, activism is impossible. Could we collectively take all of our money out of the bank on the same day to make a statement??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

They don't want to cause panic. But they are working with the best available information. It probably is pointless stopping flights. The virus is here. There are probably 1,000s that have it. Most probably don't even realise it.

Thats why im saying heads should roll across governments globally and within the WHO. The signs were there over a month ago that this could sweep into countries unnoticed and nothing was done bar everyone gawping at china.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

123654789 wrote: »
    Of all the ****e decisions by the Govt /HSE tonight's news has me seriously enraged :mad::mad::mad:

It's bad enough that they're not banning parades and mass gatherings, but they're actually getting snotty about "unilateral decisions" where parades ARE being cancelled and nursing homes going on lock down? To PROTECT people?? Which is more than the government is doing!

How dare they!! Orders and decisions to close those events should have been mandatory and at national level.

Jesus wept

There’s a real air of “shut up and do what you’re told” from the HSE leadership and the caretaker govt. Individuals and local groups will listen to the advice and reach their own conclusions. If the govt doesn’t like that they can take action.

• Advertisement

It's so difficult to put together a protest in a situation like this, activism is impossible. Could we collectively take all of our money out of the bank on the same day to make a statement??

what are you protesting about?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

i believe they've given up on trying to stop it or even contain it properly

Heads should literally roll for the piss poor decisions that were made in the past 4 weeks.

They haven't made even the slightest attempt to contain it or stop it.
    Just a week ago they were telling us that our chances of being affected were extremely low...while it was spreading like wildfire throughout Europe.

Yes heads should roll and people should demand that they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Why wont FG take the L and cancel the parade?

They already lost the election. They can take the hit.

This decision if not blinded by greed is a spiteful attack on the public.

The UK Tory party lead by Boris GOD DAMN Johnson is taking this emergency more seriously then FG. How messed up is that?

Everyone's house around us is burning and we are still sitting in our bedrooms telling everyone tomorrows house party is still going ahead.

What events have they cancelled in the UK?

Also, I wish people would stop calling it greed. It's not. It's what they view as the lesser of two evils. You might disagree with their decision but protecting jobs and the economy also protects the health service and stops people from dying from poverty, the leading worldwide cause of death.

Thats why im saying heads should roll across governments globally and within the WHO. The signs were there over a month ago that this could sweep into countries unnoticed and nothing was done bar everyone gawping at china.

who says it wasn't in countries months ago. its only there when you start testing for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Where can that be got?

Alcohol content in excess of 60% is generally considered to be antiviral, preference for 70% or 90% concentrations in clinical settings especially.

NB: microbial/antimicorbial typically does not describe viruses. They are referred to as viruses/viral etc.
    Alcohols such as ethanol are well-known antimicrobial agents and were first recommended for the treatment of hands in 1888. The highest antimicrobial efficacy can be achieved with ethanol (60% to 85%), isopropanol (60% to 80%), and n-propanol (60% to 80%). The activity is broad and immediate. Ethanol, the most common alcohol ingredient, appears to be the most effective against viruses; whereas, the propanols have a better bactericidal activity than ethanol.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK513254/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

gmisk wrote: »
    I am guessing not all handwash is antibacterial though? Or is it?

It will say on the bottle whether it’s antibacterial or not. If it doesn’t mention antibac then it’s not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭123654789

Lads can ye stop quoting ChurchtownMan's maaaaaaaasssssive post? I cant keep up with this thread as it is, the extra scrolling will have me beat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

What would that statement be exactly? BTW they don't actually have all our money in the vaults.

jackboy wrote: »
    Shameful piece on the late late. Blatant lies and propaganda.

One of them did say the amount of health workers in Cork being sent home is increasing and will keep increasing.

The UK Tory party lead by Boris GOD DAMN Johnson is taking this emergency more seriously then FG. How messed up is that?

Everyone's house around us is burning and we are still sitting in our bedrooms telling everyone tomorrows house party is still going ahead.
    Cheltenham is going ahead. Better tell Boris

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Where can that be got?

FFS most "antibacterial hand" is >60% alcohol which kills everything.

Its fungicidil. (mushrooms), antibacterial, antiviral.

Failing that use bleach based solution to disinfect surfaces. Don't drink it.

Soap is amazing and your new best friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

Plus a vaccine. Also, worldwide stats are crude insofar as they would include countries such as India where large swathes of the population will have no access to health care alongside countries with excellent health care such as Germany.

Agreed. But I think the value in those numbers is to overcome the “it’s just a flu” brigade who plan to carry on as normal and will infect elderly people who then might die.

Anyways, people will choose to believe whatever doesn’t cause them to have to struggle with cognitive dissonance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

They haven't made even the slightest attempt to contain it or stop it.
    Just a week ago they were telling us that our chances of being affected were extremely low...while it was spreading like wildfire throughout Europe.

Yes heads should roll and people should demand that they do.

We live in times were leaders/politicians both nationally and at an EU level are at their most unaccountable

123654789 wrote: »
    Lads can ye stop quoting ChurchtownMan's maaaaaaaasssssive post? I cant keep up with this thread as it is, the extra scrolling will have me beat

Change the amount of posts you see on the screen in your settings page.

Go to edit options in user control panel then to Thread Display Options, change show posts number to 40

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Eh, a run on the banks would not be helpful. At all.

The same banks you own btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Numbers of cases and deaths are falling in China. Why would we be exponentially worse than China?

Because we are not taking ANY of the drastic measures China took?!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

After all is said and done people should remember that the Govt made absolutely no attempt to stop or contain this..none whatsoever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

How do you spell greed? ST PATRICKS DAY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I'm afraid you fell for the brexit bull****. He is probably leasing in his nations interest. Something which is slightly lacking here, despite the far off chants of UP THE RA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

A mix of rubbing alcohol and aloe vera gel will do the trick.
    2/3 of the rubbing alcholol and 1/3 of the aloe vera or there abouts.
    The isopropyl alcohol should be the 91% type.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement