Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

skimpydoo wrote: »
    How do you spell greed? ST PATRICKS DAY.

I think you spell it Fine Gael ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

The deaths start rolling in around the 120-130 positive cases mark.

The deaths rolling in..... nice ring to it
    -
    it’s blasé on boards.ie now the oul deaths

- I think we’ve come full circle - time to go back to the Australia Wildfires thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

UrbanFret wrote: »
    A mix of rubbing alcohol and aloe vera gel will do the trick.
    2/3 of the rubbing alcholol and 1/3 of the aloe vera or there abouts.
    The isopropyl alcohol should be the 91% type.

You'd want at least 75% isopropyl in that mix to get the total ABV above 60%.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

As someone with a compromised immune system who has to be careful in crowded areas, I am devastated that we are been lied to.

What are we being lied to about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Agreed. But I think the value in those numbers is to overcome the “it’s just a flu” brigade who plan to carry on as normal and will infect elderly people who then might die.

Anyways, people will choose to believe whatever doesn’t cause them to have to struggle with cognitive dissonance.

Yeah it's a fine balance between panicking and motivating. The people who say it's just a flu nothing to see here, are either incredibly selfish or plain stupid - cognitive dissonance assumes cognitive ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭123654789

Change the amount of posts you see on the screen in your settings page.

Cheers
    I think i have it at the max though, I'm on page 145 here?
    Suspect if i didnt, I'd be on page 3545 of the thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

How do you spell greed? ST PATRICKS DAY.

Christ. It's not greed. Jobs, poverty, deaths, lesser of two evils etc. See earlier posts for more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

who says it wasn't in countries months ago. its only there when you start testing for it

It could have been contained is what im saying, they decided the economy was more important

Would surgical sprits be any good Vs Isopropyl alcohol ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Where can that be got?

Don't mind him, simple soap hand cleaner when used properly is very effective against viruses. Alcohol sanitiser less so.

https://bitesizebio.com/3933/does-hand-sanitizer-and-liquid-hand-soap-remove-viruses/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭brevity

‘This is the most frightening disease I’ve ever encountered’

Virus expert Dr Richard Hatchett.

Dr. Richard Hatchett advised the Bush and Obama White Houses and worked for the agency that protects Americans against pandemics and bioweapons. Designed and led medical countermeasure development programs at BARDA and NIH, including planning for and responding to H5N1 avian influenza ("bird flu"), the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic, and the Ebola, MERS, and Zika epidemics.

This guy 12-18 months for a vaccine but the guy on David McWilliams podcast says there would be one by September?!

Not sure who to believe here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭political analyst

Surely, the virus won't lead to the Junior and Leaving Cert exams, will it?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Because we are not taking ANY of the drastic measures China took?!

Yeah but that still wouldn't account for a thousand+ times more deaths. Based on current stats and trends.

After all is said and done people should remember that the Govt made absolutely no attempt to stop or contain this..none whatsoever

And the opposition also said nothing and the HSE did nothing, nobody with a whiff of responsibility should be let forget their complicity.

Tootsie_1 wrote: »

These are the same thing.

brevity wrote: »
    This guy 12-18 months for a vaccine but the guy on David McWilliams podcast says there would be one by September?!

They might be able to start some form of testing by september but not a chance they get one safe and ready by then for mass distribution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Same thing. Just check the alcohol content on the label, look for as high as possible.

brevity wrote: »

IIRC O'Neill was citing September along the lines of "possibly as early as ...".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

800,000 an ICU bed ? According to Paul Reid 20 Million gets you 25 ICU Beds ..... ?

Another example of experts using their argot and saying things which are correct but not explaining them so the public understands.

The bed is cheap relatively speaking ( still maybe 20k+ ) but then you need all of the ancillary capital outlay, building the ICU suite /adapting existing suites, finding the nurses, doctors, phlebotomists etc to staff it, the extra oxygen etc requirements, the certification costs. That all adds up.

Eg a big standard hospital bed costs about a third of a million to set up and about 100,000 Euro a year thereafter in salary and other costs for the extra nurses and doctors to staff it.

See if you create 30 new beds you might have to hire a consultant and 2 NCHDs and 20 or more new nurses and another phlebotomist and maybe another porter, more kitchen staff, more cleaners and ... and... and ... plus now you’ll be doing more tests, consuming more linen, more food, more drugs.

The bed is really cheap relatively speaking. All the stuff that keeps the people in it alive adds cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Twitter tells me that you can sing Covid 19 to the tune of Come on Eileen. Trying to be helpful, like.

ricero wrote: »
    Paddys day going ahead is farcical. Greed will destroy this country.

I believe the government are prioritizing the economy over the health of our elderly and sick. Its a pretty soulless position to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

ESdZKXuXkAEX8Bq?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

What are we being lied to about?

Well, where shall I start? Ok, how about this?

Testing was not started soon enough and if you don't test you can claim not to have it.

The information that is given at the daily press briefings is at least 6 hours old.

They don't know how to handle this.

By playing it down, our overstretched hospitals will be able to cope.

We are not been told where these people with Covid 19 are based, which is not good for someone like me as I don't know which areas to avoid. So I am now only going to my local Eurospar which is a minutes walk from where I live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

We have put a few drops of Zoflora disinfectant into our hand wash soap dispensers at home. Also made up a spray surface cleaner with it.

It’s highly concentrated, the product info is reassuring, and it’s not expensive..some nice fragrances to choose from too, if you care about that kind of thing.

I suppose it’s better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Twitter tells me that you can sing Covid 19 to the tune of Come on Eileen. Trying to be helpful, like.

Oh no no no no no

These are the same thing.

No they are not Surgical Spirits is a formula of :

surgical spirit B.P., which the British Pharmacopoeia defines as 95% methylated spirit, 2.5% castor oil, 2% diethyl phthalate, and 0.5% methyl salicylate.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Any sickness any one gets now they will panic. I just came home from a family event and started burning up in my face and pains in my chest. Lying in bed now and feeling unwell. Could have been the cake and sweets god knows but the old corona virus would make you worry more. But of sleep hopefully will sort me out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I believe the government are prioritizing the economy over the health of our elderly and sick. Its a pretty soulless position to take.

Where have you been for the last 100 years?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement