Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,764 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I heard of a kid Today telling his teacher he had coronavirus so he could go home early!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Cw85 wrote: »
    Any sickness any one gets now they will panic. I just came home from a family event and started burning up in my face and pains in my chest. Lying in bed now and feeling unwell. Could have been the cake and sweets god knows but the old corona virus would make you worry more. But of sleep hopefully will sort me out.

Nice knowing you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

tuxy wrote: »
    À virus survives for a shorter time outside a host when temperatures are higher and there is more UV light

So hoping this is true, read an article on corona saying they don’t yet know whether warmer weather will kill it off.The normal flu usually dies off in summer,

Really one would need to look at the stats in detail to see if the warmer countries are seeing a decline.Then there are variables like rate of reporting, recording etc. Complicated picture,

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

Yeah it's a fine balance between panicking and motivating. The people who say it's just a flu nothing to see here, are either incredibly selfish or plain stupid - cognitive dissonance assumes cognitive ability.

Lol! So, so true. I was being polite. I think the flame war occasioned by me correctly identifying them wouldn’t be worth it.

And with that I’m out in terms of trying to sound the alarm. Now that the public info is beginning to catch up with reality there’s no further onus on me to ring the alarm as it were. Now to just focus on the day job ;) and the occasional bit of banter on here.

Good luck to all and I wish you and your families the best over this coming difficult period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

We have put a few drops of Zoflora disinfectant into our hand wash soap dispensers at home. Also made up a spray surface cleaner with it.

It’s highly concentrated, the product info is reassuring, and it’s not expensive..some nice fragrances to choose from too, if you care about that kind of thing.

I suppose it’s better than nothing.

No it's the same as nothing unless the ratio is sufficient to kill the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

On a completely irrelevant note, I’m watching rte 9 o clock news on delay. Julie-Who-Survived-COVID-19 is 54???? Wow. She looks pretty amazing, decades younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Great podcast series focusing on the science behind the outbreak.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4RYiZgFIY4j2GQdrbZLQKb

Lol! So, so true. I was being polite. I think the flame war occasioned by me correctly identifying them wouldn’t be worth it.

And with that I’m out. Now that the public info is beginning to catch up with reality there’s no further onus on me to ring the alarm as it were. Now to just focus on the day job ;)

Good luck to all and I wish you and your families the best over this coming difficult period.

Good luck to you and keep fighting the good fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Are there any restrictions on buying over the counter medicine like nurofen and paracetamol? I will need to buy a supply of over the counter medicine in case of isolation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

gmisk wrote: »
    Just watching the late late a bit behind.
    780+ tests and 18 cases....that isn't too bad?
    Is it in line with other countries I wonder?

11 cases in Scotland from 8 hours ago so seven ahead of Scotland.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

And with that I’m out in terms of trying to sound the alarm. Now that the public info is beginning to catch up with reality there’s no further onus on me to ring the alarm as it were. Now to just focus on the day job ;) and the occasional bit of banter on here.

source.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

No it's the same as nothing unless the ratio is sufficient to kill the virus.

Ah so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

grazer wrote: »
    On a completely irrelevant note, I’m watching rte 9 o clock news on delay. Julie-Who-Survived-COVID-19 is 54???? Wow. She looks pretty amazing, decades younger.

That's the COVID 19 effect.

Ah so be it.

Proper handwashing is actually even more effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Twitter tells me that you can sing Covid 19 to the tune of Come on Eileen. Trying to be helpful, like.

Whhhhhhhy??? I cannot say it out of rhythm now that’s gonna drive me cuckoo every time I see it!!

Thank you so much for your valuable informative posts

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

owlbethere wrote: »
    Are there any restrictions on buying over the counter medicine like nurofen and paracetamol? I will need to buy a supply of over the counter medicine in case of isolation.

Yes there is only one pack of 24 per transaction

http://www.hpra.ie/homepage/medicines/regulatory-information/retailers

Now the doctor has gone I'm in charge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I believe the government are prioritizing the economy over the health of our elderly and sick. Its a pretty soulless position to take.

Sigh.

A strong economy = funds for health, social protection, people in jobs etc. It's not an easy black and white decision that you paint it as. On the one hand you have a major public health risk, on the other you have huge losses to the tourism industry and hospitality sector with knock-on effects across the economy also leading to long term public health risk arising from the fact that poverty kills. If you just knock a few billion off GDP, there will be greater unemployment, social welfare and health cuts. People will die prematurely on both sides of this decision. There's nothing soulless about it at all.

Having said that, I think the parade will be cancelled eventually. At some point they will judge the risk of holding as being greater than the economic effect of cancelling it.

Where have you been for the last 100 years?

I didn't exist for about 60 of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Just a reminder for anyone who isnt familiar with this poster that they tried to claim the last pandemic wasn't actually a pandemic and anything they say should be taken with a pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Alledged reports with no source.

Ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

hmmm wrote: »

The scientists told us travel bans wouldn't work, and countries went ahead with them anyway. It's ironic (in an unfortunate way) that Italy becomes the first EU country with a significant outbreak, but it just shows that the science was correct.

It is pretty clear that China managed to mostly contain it to Hubei province due to very strong travel restrictions from that province to the rest of the country (of course combined to other measures countrywide).

The question is more about how efficient authorities really are at enforcing the travel restrictions (if you are saying there are travel restrictions but are not able to enforce them properly, of course it won’t have an effect).

That sounds like it'll have an audience of about 13 people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

:P
    Proper handwashing is actually even more effective.

We’re doing that religiously, but added a drop of the crathur, to be sure, to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Numbers of cases and deaths are falling in China. Why would we be exponentially worse than China?

the chinese literally welded people into their apartment blocks. can you imagine that happening here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 industry accountant

Last week I asked in work what was the plan if this got bad or people have to work from home etc
    I was laughed at and told it was only a flu.

Today I was informed that myself and the 3 others on my team are going to be provided with laptops.

Hmm I wonder why...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

first case confirmed on Mars!

musk is ragin

(got 8 bottles of corona after work, dunno why)

• Advertisement

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Yes there is only one pack of 24 per transaction

http://www.hpra.ie/homepage/medicines/regulatory-information/retailers

I need to buy a supply for family and I'm not looking forward to going into several different pharmacies to buy a 2/3 week supply of nurofen and paracetamol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement