Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

gabeeg wrote: »
    source.gif

Lol! Aww, I love monorails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

froog wrote: »
    the chinese literally welded people into their apartment blocks. can you imagine that happening here?

I can if I think about people I don't like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

the chinese literally welded people into their apartment blocks. can you imagine that happening here?

Whatever it takes I suppose. Self-isolation will happen more and more. If I was elderly, I'd be doing it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

LaFuton wrote: »
    first case confirmed on Mars!

musk is ragin

(got 8 bottles of corona after work, dunno why)

Was it on special offer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Fake news - they were closing off multiple exits to control people to a single exit so they could be tracked leaving and entering buildings with confirmed cases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Just a reminder for anyone who isnt familiar with this poster that they tried to claim the last pandemic wasn't actually a pandemic and anything they say should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Also didn’t address this
    Have you a link to that? As far as I can see this was a claim from one expert: "Harvard epidemiologist Marc Lipsitch" and a search of the WHO website hasn't enlightened me.

When I queried this:

The key points are the big figures. WHO estimate of 40 to 70% of the worlds population infected over the next year and roughly 2% mortality. Some countries will have a higher death rate if they have more elderly people and poorer general public health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I really really hope in a years time when this hopefully has blown over some journalists do a shedload of FOI requests to expose how cackhanded this was handled by those in charge

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

A strong economy = funds for health, social protection, people in jobs etc. It's not an easy black and white decision that you paint it as. On the one hand you have a major public health risk, on the other you have huge losses to the tourism industry and hospitality sector with knock-on effects across the economy also leading to long term public health risk arising from the fact that poverty kills. If you just knock a few billion off GDP, there will be greater unemployment, social welfare and health cuts. People will die prematurely on both sides of this decision. There's nothing soulless about it at all.

This is the neoliberal lie swallowed whole. A government's purpose is to serve its people, not least to keep them safe. Economies go up and down, this is an emergency, and in emergencies governments need to borrow to keep their population safe. Of course if we didn't have people walking around with more wealth than entire countries this wouldn't be such an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Lol! Aww, I love monorails.

You go sleep now, doc.

You've a massive pile oh **** in front of you. Get some rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

owlbethere wrote: »
    I need to buy a supply for family and I'm not looking forward to going into several different pharmacies to buy a 2/3 week supply of nurofen and paracetamol.

Well fëck it we'll just get the law changed for you then.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Wuhan market tour.

Graphic warning

https://youtu.be/QADi8sgtkfw

Graphic warning

‘This is the most frightening disease I’ve ever encountered’

Virus expert Dr Richard Hatchett.

Dr. Richard Hatchett advised the Bush and Obama White Houses and worked for the agency that protects Americans against pandemics and bioweapons. Designed and led medical countermeasure development programs at BARDA and NIH, including planning for and responding to H5N1 avian influenza ("bird flu"), the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic, and the Ebola, MERS, and Zika epidemics.

Good interview. At the same time as emphasising the danger of the virus he’s also praising efforts of places like Singapore and that everyone has a part to play in this. By changing social behaviour and engaging in proper personal hygiene, the spread of the virus can be delayed to where we reach the point that a vaccine can be deployed against it. Difficult times will lay ahead, but its not inevitable that a very worst case scenario will emerge that so many of the doom merchants believe in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

VinLieger wrote: »
    I really really hope in a years time when this hopefully has blown over some journalists do a shedload of FOI requests to expose how cackhanded this was handled by those in charge

It probably won't blow over as it is likely to become endemic. Maybe when all the rich countries have vaccinated everyone then those countries can contrast and compare mortality and infection rates. Won't be today or tomorrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Im hearing this evening that the suspected community transmission case in cork icu has been solved and is not in fact community related.

The patient already had pneumonia and contracted coronavirus in the hospital from a doctor or a nurse. They arent sure yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Are there any restrictions on buying over the counter medicine like nurofen and paracetamol? I will need to buy a supply of over the counter medicine in case of isolation.

Yeah one pack each per day per shop. Do the maths as to how much you may need in a fever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Also didn’t address this

When I queried this:

Its laughable the amount of absolute bull**** people in this thread will lap up as long as it feeds their narrative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

flynnlives wrote: »
    Im hearing this evening that the suspected community transmission case in cork icu has been solved and is not in fact community related.

The patient already had pneumonia and contracted coronavirus in the hospital from a doctor or a nurse. They arent sure yet.

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Teemarie

How do you amend your settings to show more post per page. Sorry if this is basic checked the FAQ and cant find it. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If anything thats potentially worse as a doctor or nurse has been working potentially for weeks infecting others and where did they get it from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

These are the same thing.
    Not necessarily, need 99% isopropyl to give 60% alcohol on 2/1 mix, some stuff sold as 'surgical spirit' e.g. Boots is mainly ethanol, not as effective skin disinfectant as isopropyl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I made sure to get to the docs today to get an extra months inhalers, I'm gonna need them I think.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Wuhan market tour.

Graphic warning

https://youtu.be/QADi8sgtkfw

Graphic warning

Just to spread the truth. The photo of an asian woman eating a bat is from a travel blog. She was in the south pacific islands and following local custom.

Don't let truth get in the way of a bit of racism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

I need to buy a supply for family and I'm not looking forward to going into several different pharmacies to buy a 2/3 week supply of nurofen and paracetamol.

Get them in UK and posted to a friend with address there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Does that not mean the outcome is still the same or worse from an infection point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

What events have they cancelled in the UK?

Also, I wish people would stop calling it greed. It's not. It's what they view as the lesser of two evils. You might disagree with their decision but protecting jobs and the economy also protects the health service and stops people from dying from poverty, the leading worldwide cause of death.

Gov Policy. Sure St Patrick might do it again and banish the virus from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Christ. It's not greed. Jobs, poverty, deaths, lesser of two evils etc. See earlier posts for more info.

I agree totally with you on the economy. It’s much more complicated than the type of doomsday, hysteric, lunar type figures the posters on this thread have been spouting for days now.
    Simple fact is this virus will do much less damage than a financial implosion will ever cause.
    It comes down to people thriving on hysteria and doomsday material, it’s some type of fetish, and the majority enjoy it, the media apps like the journal post countless sensationalist articles every day and I’m sure the views on those articles are breaking records.
    1500 people die every day in Italy of a variety of ailments, the virus has been a drop in the ocean until now, not as yet worthy of the drivel on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

ESbdBNuXcAAeLnh?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

fr336 wrote: »
    This is the neoliberal lie swallowed whole. A government's purpose is to serve its people, not least to keep them safe. Economies go up and down, this is an emergency, and in emergencies governments need to borrow to keep their population safe. Of course if we didn't have people walking around with more wealth than entire countries this wouldn't be such an issue.

Even Keynesians want to prevent recessions because when economies go down people die but I accept and agree that the state can and should borrow as necessary to provide social protection and economic stimulus.

People going around with enormous wealth is a red herring. Plenty of small businesses and their employees are at risk right now because of the economic implications of the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

So it was community related then...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Twitter tells me that you can sing Covid 19 to the tune of Come on Eileen. Trying to be helpful, like.

If you sing it twice while washing your hands are they clean enough?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement