Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Have you a link to that? As far as I can see this was a claim from one expert: "Harvard epidemiologist Marc Lipsitch" and a search of the WHO website hasn't enlightened me.
    He soon revised the 40% to 70% estimate to be 40% to 70% of adults if effective countermeasures didn't prevent it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

gabeeg wrote: »
    Now the doctor has gone I'm in charge

I have news for you -

That wasnt The Doctor ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

The healthcare worker wouldnt have been working for weeks.

Anyways this is what i heard. Im sure the media will find out.

Either way its not community transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭blackcard

blackcard wrote: »
    Sky News paper review leading with a spat between Meghan and Camilla followed by story about Queen Liz and the leader of Dubai, then an item about taxes on Tampax being lowered in the upcoming budget. I think that Ireland would go into meltdown if something similar happened here.

Followed up with an item about some bloke in Strictly Come Dancing being a stud. They are really keeping this little flu bug thing in perspective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

froog wrote: »
    while we're all tut tutting about what they eat in china, remember that we just love a nice juicy baby sheep or deep fried bits of factory farmed chicken mixed with who knows what.

Well I think you’ve missed the point here. They are eating wild animals. The ones we eat are farmed for eating, vaccinated , tested etc. They are literally eating anything that moves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

US FED dropping the interest rate as they did had **** all impact because the fundemenals are clear.

Nothing to see here.

What?

Ofc dropping the interest rate had no impact. It was never going to have an impact on factories in China being shut down or reasonable concerned people not spending money on frivolities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The Government should have banned all flights from Italy, surely it is in the interest the Irish people safe and the government can compensate the airlines. I an starting to resent them big time, they just dont want to cause any ripples at all, complete cowards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    I would hazard a guess our hygiene is better though, I wont watch the video but have heard plenty about it doesn't sound like the most hygienic environment ??

correct. just pointing out the hypocrisy by some on the chinese choice of animals to eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Nah ive been hearing whispers down here that a few nurses were also in italy. And like the gp in clare was told to work after they came back

Yeah if that is the case - they infected someone else here - that is community transmission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Where is this latest cruise ship now.

Too busy washing my hands every five minutes to look it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

wakka12 wrote: »
    It is thought the lower death rate in South Korea may in fact be because 40% of the casesin the country are from the cult . 40% of the cult members are under 30 years old and also 70% of members are female and the virus seems to be considerably more dangerous for men.

https://blog.naver.com/daegu_news/221840129905
    I read somewhere - possibly here - that they test much more people, and their death rate is more likely to be accurate as a result. Other countries are thought to miss a lot of people with mild symptoms. So other countries identify fewer people overall, but the same numbers 9f those who become severely ill or die.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

so 5 cases confirmed today, glad to see the number is lower, although i feel that's just down to only testing X amount I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

My job involves knowing these techniques. I know its anecdotal but from what I have seen, the vast majority of people do not wash their hands properly.

The benefit of the situation is that people will learn how to wash their hands, even if it is far from perfect. I worked in a corpo environment and man, the number of top tier managers that do not wash their hands after taking a leak is astonishing. I know that they teach them at Trinity how to not piss at their hands but still...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

hurikane wrote: »
    Well I think you’ve missed the point here. They are eating wild animals. The ones we eat are farmed for eating, vaccinated , tested etc. They are literally eating anything that moves.

there is that saying
    "Any animal whose back faces the sun can be eaten"

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

The Government should have banned all flights from Italy, surely it is in the interest the Irish people safe and the government can compensate the airlines. I an starting to resent them big time, they just dont want to cause any ripples at all, complete cowards.

Ridiculous, you wanted to ban irish people from returning?
    Also what what stop them driving to another country and getting a flight to ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Tbf WHO are still advising against international travel restrictions: https://www.who.int/news-room/articles-detail/updated-who-recommendations-for-international-traffic-in-relation-to-covid-19-outbreak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

hmmm wrote: »
    Watching Trump visiting the CDC. Jeez it's like Kim Jong Il "your great leadership and inspired decision making Chairman Kim has saved us"

Trump tried to cut the budget of the CDC every year since he was elected. Congress stopped him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

In early January family who live there planning to travel for a birthday I said best not. Got thanked after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Trump tried to cut the budget of the CDC every year since he was elected. Congress stopped him.
    Tried? he did but not maybe not as much as he wanted to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Miike wrote: »
    I wonder is that person try to sneeze into the outside of their elbow. The image of that has given me quite a laugh.

Its more a question of touching the general area. Might as well be shaking hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭poppers

Only a handful people from ireland have tested pos on rtn from italy. How were the gov going to stop people (100s of kids on school ski trips) coming home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

He's just said that he thinks the death rate will be a tenth of a percent, and there is a CDC scientist beside him that looks like he wants to disappear into the ground.

The US is screwed with this idiot as President. I think they're in big trouble. Whatever criticism we might give the HSE, I believe what they're saying and think the medical professionals are competent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

we've been eating wild animals for hundreds of thousands of years. taken from their natural state with no preservatives or other chemicals and living their best life. many people prefer eating animals killed in the wild as much more ethical and safe than mass farmed animals. i suggest you watch some documentarys on where most of our chicken comes from for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Yes. Those with the most information, who can make the most informed decision are not advising to stop flights. No way in hell they are going to appease some keyboard warriors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Sick that people apply production value to a deadly pathogen for clicks.

Biut hey rock on. Fack masks + 500%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Hygiene is still important, regardless of whether the animals are wild or farmed. Mad cow disease and numerous cases over the last decade would tell you that we have our own problems here.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

TTLF wrote: »
    so 5 cases confirmed today, glad to see the number is lower, although i feel that's just down to only testing X amount I presume?
    Defo, one of the positives was only tested after displaying symptoms despite having told them that they had been in close contact with someone who was positive a week ago in another country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

froog wrote: »
    we've been eating wild animals for hundreds of thousands of years. taken from their natural state with no preservatives or other chemicals and living their best life. many people prefer eating animals killed in the wild as much more ethical and safe than mass farmed animals. i suggest you watch some documentarys on where most of our chicken comes from for example.

I suggest you head out and eat some road kill. A badger would do nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Sick that people apply production value to a deadly pathogen for clicks.

Biut hey rock on. Fack masks + 500%

it's not even funny

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement