Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Do we have a coronavirus hotline equivalent to the NHS UK's 111 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Karmella wrote: »
    I work for a company which has many offices abroad including one in the Netherlands - so they sent out a communication with links to all the local health websites. I’m going on a personal trip to the Netherlands in a couple of weeks so I looked up the Dutch website out of curiosity.

For all those claiming that the HSE are spouting BS - well the Dutch website are singing from the same hymn sheet. Wash your hands, self isolate if you have travelled from one of the areas and show symptoms or have come in contact with a sick person who has travelled.
    The Dutch foreign ministry have advised travel to Italy should be only ‘essential’
    They diagnosed the first case on 27Feb and have 38 cases as of yesterday - most of whom travelled from Italy or have caught it from a traveller.
    They are not panicking. And the Netherlands is a hell of a lot more densely populated than Ireland.

To be fair they do mention the areas. They temporarily shut down an entire hospital in one area because the sick person was there before diagnosis and they stopped new admissions to the ICU of another hospital (but the rest of that hospital operated as normal).

I did wonder what way other mainland european countries were dealing with it, those numbers aren't bad and being honest i'd be surprised if we reached those numbers in the next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

YFlyer wrote: »
    Heavy fog in Limerick city. The situation is beginning to get grim.

Fog? Or is it "The Mist"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Downlinz wrote: »
    Very few countries in the west are acting proactively, business is too important it seems.
    It's always a balancing act. You can't shut down an economy every time there's an illness spreading through it.

The "shut down everything" brigade don't seem to be factoring in how many people will die from the economic fallout afterwards.

We're already looking at widespread redundancies and closures in the tourism industry. Hotel and flight bookings are being cancelled at a rate of knots. If this continues on through the summer, we could see up to 50,000 people on the dole queue come September.

The reality is that going on a major quaratine spree will end up causing more damage than may be necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Downlinz wrote: »
    Very few countries in the west are acting proactively, business is too important it seems.

It is easy to say that and it makes for a good sound-bite.
    In fairness there IS a balance needed. If business all go to the wall, that will cause untold problems also which in the long term could nt be as bad as or worse than the virus itself.
    Imagine if airlines all went to the wall tomorrow. The knock on effects would be enormous. Hotels, restaraunts, taxis, supply chains all massively distupted. Factories shutting down. Unemployment through the roof. Food shortages. Medicine shortages. Social unrest would soon follow.
    It is not a pretty picture. So yea business does matter. It is interwoven in to our lives now and simply stopping it, would stop society. Over dramatic? Maybe, but not too far off I would imagine.

*edit* Lol Seamus...did we just copy each other :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

A small number of schools have been affected. If a school closes for two weeks:

- Do teachers still get paid?
    - Can some level of Skype/Webex support be offered to students e.g. a morning call to set work for the day?

A couple of weeks ago a UK doctor said if they get into school closures it could last two months i.e. close for two weeks but then roll on week-by-week until the crisis abated.

Yes.
    Could be, but highly doubtful they will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Do we have a coronavirus hotline equivalent to the NHS UK's 111 ?

We've had it for months. HSE Live will connect you to your local public health dept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Ludo wrote: »
    It is easy to say that and it makes for a good sound-bite.
    In fairness there IS a balance needed. If business all go to the wall, that will cause untold problems also which in the long term could nt be as bad as or worse than the virus itself.
    Imagine if airlines all went to the wall tomorrow. The knock on effects would be enormous. Hotels, restaraunts, taxis, supply chains all massively distupted. Factories shutting down. Unemployment through the roof. Food shortages. Medicine shortages. Social unrest would soon follow.
    It is not a pretty picture. So yea business does matter. It is interwoven in to our lives now and simply stopping it, would stop society. Over dramatic? Maybe, but not too far off I would imagine.

*edit* Lol Seamus...did we just copy each other :-)

Get a room

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

Our Minister and health officials acknowledge that this could be around for 12 months, why are we faffing about providing the virus with ideal transmission conditions for the sake of one week? Please don't tell me it's for the sake of a Paddy's day bonanza, it could end up being a colossal mistake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

11:55, almost midnight. Enough time for one more story. One more story before 12:00, just to keep us warm. In five minutes, it will be the 21st of April. One hundred years ago on the 21st of April, out in the waters around Spivey Point, a small clipper ship drew toward land. Suddenly, out of the night, the fog rolled in. For a moment, they could see nothing, not a foot in front of them. Then, they saw a light. By God, it was a fire burning on the shore, strong enough to penetrate the swirling mist. They steered a course toward the light. But it was a campfire, like this one. The ship crashed against the rocks, the hull sheared in two, masts snapped like a twig. The wreckage sank, with all the men aboard. At the bottom of the sea, lay the Elizabeth Dane, with her crew, their lungs filled with salt water, their eyes open, staring to the darkness. And above, as suddenly as it come, the fog lifted, receded back across the ocean and never came again. But it is told by the fishermen, and their fathers and grandfathers, that when the fog returns to Antonio Bay, the men at the bottom of the sea, out in the water by Spivey Point will rise up and search for the campfire that led them to their dark, icy death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mlem123 wrote: »
    We've had it for months. HSE Live will connect you to your local public health dept
    Ah OK, thought it was Liveline!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Heres that Worldometer source mentioned by Mic 1972 towards the end of the last thread:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Using the closed cases ratio the death rate is 6%. Thats sounds a bit grim to me.......

Why is it grim?

Every day it has gone down.

Currently at 5.78%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Our Minister and health officials acknowledge that this could be around for 12 months, why are we faffing about providing the virus with ideal transmission conditions for the sake of one week? Please don't tell me it's for the sake of a Paddy's day bonanza, it could end up being a colossal mistake.

Who makes the call on the Paddy's Day parade? Who has the final say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Very grim.

Last night I painted my gate. This morning I found it was still wet.

Rain is forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

Heres that Worldometer source mentioned by Mic 1972 towards the end of the last thread:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Using the closed cases ratio the death rate is 6%. Thats sounds a bit grim to me.......

Of no value thankfully, all countries with larger outbreaks stopped testing asymptomatic carriers. Also it won't account for the large numbers infected and deaths in third world countries which are currently exporting cases without showing any cases in their own stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

11:55, almost midnight. Enough time for one more story. One more story before 12:00, just to keep us warm. In five minutes, it will be the 21st of April. One hundred years ago on the 21st of April, out in the waters around Spivey Point, a small clipper ship drew toward land. Suddenly, out of the night, the fog rolled in. For a moment, they could see nothing, not a foot in front of them. Then, they saw a light. By God, it was a fire burning on the shore, strong enough to penetrate the swirling mist. They steered a course toward the light. But it was a campfire, like this one. The ship crashed against the rocks, the hull sheared in two, masts snapped like a twig. The wreckage sank, with all the men aboard. At the bottom of the sea, lay the Elizabeth Dane, with her crew, their lungs filled with salt water, their eyes open, staring to the darkness. And above, as suddenly as it come, the fog lifted, receded back across the ocean and never came again. But it is told by the fishermen, and their fathers and grandfathers, that when the fog returns to Antonio Bay, the men at the bottom of the sea, out in the water by Spivey Point will rise up and search for the campfire that led them to their dark, icy death.

Love The Fog.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I know people that avoid news media entirely. They do not know what's going on in the outside world. I think that's rare on this small island but quite common abroad. They realise the amount of scaremongering and fear peddling is increasing year by year. It's something people should consider if they are anxious in nature. For example they completely missed the whole Brexit nonsense which was a waste of many people's time.

That is true and I’ve been taking more of a step back from this thread lately because it can consume you. I also went to my doctor (who is brilliant) and discussed my concerns in relation to myself and family/friends and my wider concerns. I had a good conversation with him and asked him why our authority’s appear to be communicating that we prob won’t get it as bad here as they do abroad. All I can say is I don’t feel paranoid after that conversation.

While I feel a bit more relieved personally , I’m even more angry with how our authority’s have been handling this. I don’t trust them for multiple reasons and think their “nothing to see here” strategy is going to causs a lot of damage , particularly to their own credibility when things get progressively worse. While they mess about with the Patrick’s day parade choice they have no credibility at all as far as I am concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Who makes the call on the Paddy's Day parade? Who has the final say?

Having a big celebration and showing ‘Ireland's rich culture’ of spreading the virus around, while the rest of the world are burying their grandparents !

Great look that... Failte Ireland !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

hearing about 2 strains, seems the Wuhan strain was stronger - would explain the higher death rate there, lets hope it's the weaker strain in Europe.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Cases are on the rise again in China. Current reinfection rate is 14%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

First prediction on numbers 400 cases. 6 deaths

Second prediction, new boards section ... Now ye're talking - to a Coronavirus Survivor

Why is it grim?

Currently at 5.78%

Love it to go down alot more, especially when you compare it to current flu mortality rates (0.1%).

But as megabomberman suggests above, if asymptomatic carriers are no longer being recorded in many places its a pretty skewed stat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

What this Captain trips really needs is our very own trashcan man..Oh yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Any link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

hearing about 2 strains, seems the Wuhan strain was stronger - would explain the higher death rate there, lets hope it's the weaker strain in Europe.,

I don’t have credible link (watched some source last night that I can’t verify) but one strain is supposedly worse then the other and you can get both. This would possibly explain why people are getting re-infected. Maybe somebody else here can clear this up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    So what are the current ideas on that, since they said there are now two strains of it? Are people getting sick from the same strain multiple times?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Did patient zero die? Or recover and baton the soup business

A small number of schools have been affected. If a school closes for two weeks:

- Do teachers still get paid?
    - Can some level of Skype/Webex support be offered to students e.g. a morning call to set work for the day?

A couple of weeks ago a UK doctor said if they get into school closures it could last two months i.e. close for two weeks but then roll on week-by-week until the crisis abated.

I suspect some schools will do the same as in China, where classes are held online. I'm doing the majority of my class schedule through conference calls (individual call-ins but grouped for the call itself), along with mentoring through my phone app (wechat). There's a heap of software which is rather good for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Love it to go down alot more, especially when you compare it to current flu mortality rates (0.1%).

it's still going down a little bit every day, it' won't down to 2% as people said at the beginning of the outbreak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Why is it grim?

Currently at 5.78%

How is it possible to calculate a death rate when the numbers infected is unknown?
    If we are to believe official figures, the rate of infection in northern Italy is about 1 in 10,000 of the population, yet tourists/visitors to there from 20 other countries seem to have casually picked it up. The infection rate has to exponentially higher there than the reported number of diagnosed cases.
    Something doesn’t make sense here?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement