Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

DrumSteve wrote: »
    What? Really?

The link you posted literrally says the opposite:
    Oh, I just reread the bit I quoted, you're right actually that article suggests dormancy rather than re-infections in those cases.

I knew I read an article yesterday about it linking to endocrine receptors, although I can't seem to track it down now unfortunately.

The John Campbell video gives the clear explanation for reinfection though,
    and I found this (regrettably Daily Mail) article which explains it as well.

It's a complete oxymoron brought about by circular logic. On the News on RTÉ 1: "We currently don't have community transmission here" "we are testing people who have had direct contact with people who have travelled from affected regions."

But how can you effectively detect community transmission if you're only testing those particular people?

On Saturday I met a person who flies all over the world and has contact with all sorts of people. She is back in her home country now and self-isolating on the advice of her government due to her risk factor. I was drinking with her for four hours. If I presented with symptoms, why would they not treat me as a potential case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭josip

josip wrote: »
    Is it 2 schools in Clare that have closed or 3?
    Or are reports of 3 schools closed including the school already closed in Dublin?

So it seems like 3 schools
    At least one more second level school is also closed on Thursday, pending advice from health authorities.

Why is the other 2nd level school closed?

Is the other parent a teacher?

http://www.clare.fm/news/health/clare-school-shuts-pupil-tests-positive-coronavirus/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Is it 2 schools in Clare that have closed or 3?
    Or are reports of 3 schools closed including the school already closed in Dublin?

2 closed for 14 days, a National School and a Secondary School. Another 2 schools in the same location as the secondary school are closed just for today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Cw85 wrote: »
    The flu is responsible for 200-500 deaths each year in Ireland. In a severe season it maycause up to 1,000 deaths. Every year, hundreds of people are hospitalised with flu.

The HSE beg to differ

Your numbers are way off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Keeping the rate of infection down is obviously the key. At a 0.1% infection rate and assuming a 2% mortality rate, would result in 97 deaths here. It's a figure no one wants to see but less than the number of deaths from the flu in a year. I'm just using those numbers for illustration purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Not happy to read about the hospital worker - surely anyone in that kind of job who has recently been to Northern Italy would be asked to stay home? Surely that's a no-brainer?
    No pasta on the shelves in my local Tesco, that made me feel a little nervous - in case panic buying starts to create shortages.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

gabeeg wrote: »
    Your numbers are way off

The Flu virus is an unpredictable virus.

If you are healthy you will usually recover in 7 days. But Flu can be severe and can cause serious illness and death.

Complications of flu include bronchitis, pneumonia, ear infections and rarely acute encephalopathy (swelling of the brain).

Serious complications of flu are more likely if you have a chronic medical condition or if you are aged 65 years or older. Pregnant women are also at increased risk of flu complications.

In Ireland, between 200 and 500 people, mainly older people, die from flu each winter.

Every year, around the world, flu causes between 3 and 5 million cases of severe disease and up to 646, 000 deaths.

Not my numbers fella, straight from the HSE website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

4 new cases in the west of Ireland.

One healthcare worker who carried out an emergency shift at a hospital was diagnoses with coronavirus.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-patient-worked-shift-in-emergency-department-in-west-of-ireland-1.4193756

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0304/1120173-coronavirus-vaccine/

Hi, 8.30pm last night called for you.....cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Anyone think we are close to crossing that line in terms of people panicking and stockpiling of supplies etc ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

On Saturday I met a person who flies all over the world and has contact with all sorts of people. She is back in her home country now and self-isolating on the advice of her government due to her risk factor. I was drinking with her for four hours. If I presented with symptoms, why would they not treat me as a potential case?

Lack of resources would be the answer to that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Keeping the rate of infection down is obviously the key. At a 0.1% infection rate and assuming a 2% mortality rate, would result in 97 deaths here. It's a figure no one wants to see but less than the number of deaths from the flu in a year. I'm just using those numbers for illustration purposes.

Huge underestimate. What's that 0.1pc figure?
    Are you mixing up attack rate and R0?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Daz_ wrote: »
    Anyone think we are close to crossing that line in terms of people panicking and stockpiling of supplies etc ?

There was definitely a slight buzz of that in the supermarket just now. A lot more full trolleys than normal. I saw one guy with about 50 can of beans, he'll be too healthy to catch any virus soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Multipass wrote: »
    Not happy to read about the hospital worker - surely anyone in that kind of job who has recently been to Northern Italy would be asked to stay home? Surely that's a no-brainer?
    No pasta on the shelves in my local Tesco, that made me feel a little nervous - in case panic buying starts to create shortages.

I'm amazed that someone who works in a hospital would not know to stay at home. You are just home from Italy.

The mind boggles at the stupidity of people.

All quiet on the Western front......

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

So it seems like 3 schools

Why is the other 2nd level school closed?

Is the other parent a teacher?

http://www.clare.fm/news/health/clare-school-shuts-pupil-tests-positive-coronavirus/

Shared bus route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Well in two months schools will be off ..that might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

There was definitely a slight buzz of that in the supermarket just now. A lot more full trolleys than normal. I saw one guy with about 50 can of beans, he'll be too healthy to catch any virus soon

Yeah , was thinking the same from some shopping earlier ..
    Though I think the beans might be unhealthy lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

TomSweeney wrote: »
    AFAIK the CoronaVirus produces a dry cough - so unlikely you have it.
    My wife had a dry cough. Mine produces frequent small amounts of sputum, which is sometimes a symptom.

I probably don't have it. My temperature hasn't gone above 38 and there's a ****ty flu around. But the lead time between my wife getting sick and me is odd, as is our two year old barely being bothered by it.

Honestly I'd be very happy if I did have it, and this was the full the extent of it on me and my family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Guardian Live Blog...
    Egypt has declared its first coronavirus infection of an Egyptian national. The country’s Ministry of Health and Population said a 44-year-old Egyptian citizen showed symptoms after returning from Serbia via 12-hour transit in France.

The man has now been quarantined, as Egyptian officials declare they have stepped up preparations against the virus across the country, including screenings at airports.

Egypt previously declared two foreign nationals infected with COVID-19. A Chinese national who tested positive for the virus in mid-February later recovered, while a 54-year old Canadian national was quarantined last Monday.

As recently as last weekend, the country’s Prime Minister and health ministry declared repeatedly that Egypt was free of the virus, despite raising suspicions after multiple foreign nationals returned from trips to Egypt showing symptoms.

“One trip to Egypt was the source of 11 cases out of 20 people,” in the French town of La Balme-de-Sillingy according to Le Monde.

Egypt about to face the music same as Iran? Can't keep reality hidden forever.

There have been numerous cases sourced in Egypt spreading for weeks yet no confirmed cases in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Huge underestimate. What's that 0.1pc figure?
    Are you mixing up attack rate and R0?
    An illustration not a prediction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I was in Supervalu earlier (Galway). Shelves are all fully stocked. No sense of panic whatsoever. I think it's much more likely to happen in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Yeah , was thinking the same from some shopping earlier ..
    Though I think the beans might be unhealthy lol

Unhealthy if you are standing behind them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Unhealthy if you are standing behind them

Or beside him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I believe you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

woohoo!!! wrote: »

the 2% rate has to be the most random figure ever thrown around in history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

My wife had a dry cough. Mine produces frequent small amounts of sputum, which is sometimes a symptom.

I probably don't have it. My temperature hasn't gone above 38 and there's a ****ty flu around. But the lead time between my wife getting sick and me is odd, as is our two year old barely being bothered by it.

Honestly I'd be very happy if I did have it, and this was the full the extent of it on me and my family.
    At this point that is not recommended because people are not in the clear once they have had it like with other viruses. At this point, evidence suggests that Covid-19 aggressively attaches itself to endocrine receptors and can remain in the system dormant, reinfect you and transmit to other people. The respiratory system likely will sustain damage and it will be more difficult to recover after a second or third battle with the virus.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

All quiet on the Western front......

Live Lahnnnn doesn't start for 5 minutes, they will come :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

The total number of the new coronavirus cases in Greece has risen to 31, after 21 more people who came in contact with the country’s ninth confirmed case tested positive, ekathimerini.com reports.

The figures were revealed in a press briefing from Greek Health Ministry spokesman Dimitris Tsiodras.

The country is moving into ‘Phase 2’ of the ministry’s health risk containment strategy, meaning that official measures will focus on containing the virus from spreading from western Greece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

It already has....toilet paper and hand gel
    TOILET PAPER ffs I mean WTF?:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement