Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

brillant interview about the virus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

gozunda wrote: »
    Do you normally jump over the wall straight into a deep pond of sensationalism?

The OP detailed banning flights from infected regions. Nothing about stopping us getting the eejits back via charter plain etc for those who went galvanting back and who should be thrown into isolation for a bit of R&R

Yeah if they went elsewhere and flew - any half decent point of entry checks will spot that! Oh yeah that's right we dont have that either lol.

Ah well sure we'll be grand... We're all a great bunch of lads to be sure...

Some rant there. Why does hysterics have people believe Ireland is somehow unique in how it's following WHO guidelines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

?Thread is indeed very quiet. Perhaps late night bogroll purchasing occuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

almostover wrote: »
    The language being used is very reminiscent of that used in 07-08 about about the property market crash. Don't panic, don't create panic, listen to the experts, it wont be as bad as it's being made out etc.

The reality of is world markets have dropped and at the moment are fluctuating but up one day down the next it will take at least 2 months to stabilize,at least every country is in the same boat,
    Key thing now is to keep the economy ticking over .
    The initial shock has passed but no country can afford to close off completely no matter what people call for the simple reality is we need cash flow every economy needs it for there country too survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Ellsbells1 wrote: »
    Quote: flynnlives
    Im hearing this evening that the suspected community transmission case in cork icu has been solved and is not in fact community related.

The patient already had pneumonia and contracted coronavirus in the hospital from a doctor or a nurse. They arent sure yet.

This means CoVid 19 has been on our soil longer than the first reported case then? And if the patient got it in there from a healthcare worker or another patient surely there will be more cases within days? I was wondering why there was more media coverage and staff sent home in CUH than there was in UHL. Only a matter of time before staff and patients from UHL test positive though too.

I did half think today’s figures might mean we won’t get this virus too bad in this country but now I am not so sure.

I think theyve managed to figure it all out.
    Hence the reason CUH is virtually shut down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

De virus

Oh right.

All Im saying is a few old food standards/wildlife laws wouldnt go astray, especially in this globalised world of ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

We should introduce internment.

H blocks still available, they're used as museums now so should be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

The Government should have banned all flights from Italy, surely it is in the interest the Irish people safe and the government can compensate the airlines. I an starting to resent them big time, they just dont want to cause any ripples at all, complete cowards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

What wont arrive at my door?

I think he was referring to your food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

EU health ministers are looking for ways to produce more drugs and protective gear in Europe to cope with shortages caused by the coronavirus outbreak.

This event could turn the shift away from hyper globalism...maybe they will realise it's not exactly great to have a huge amount of generic drugs coming from just one country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Hurrache wrote: »
    Some rant there. Why does hysterics have people believe Ireland is somehow unique in how it's following WHO guidelines?

Because people are reactionary.

There's no way to control this. We'll either be very lucky and warmer weather will stop the virus, or unlucky and it'll spread exponentially.

Our control measures won't stop it. Comparisons to 100 years ago are useless. People are far more mobile and travel is common place. Our world is globalised and we cant turn it off by cancelling all travel. We'd starve.

On 23 January 2020, the central government of the People's Republic of China imposed a lockdown in Wuhan.

7 weeks later!

Oh right.

All Im saying is a few old food standards/wildlife laws wouldnt go astray, especially in this globalised world of ours.

Agree. There's a whole load of slant eyed bashing going on cause of this virus.

Not their fault, whether it came from an animal or from a biosafety levely 4 lab researching this specific type of virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

?Thread is indeed very quiet. Perhaps late night bogroll purchasing occuring.

Obviously I’m here, but I usually put a rain check on any worries I have on weekends if I can help it, perhaps I’m not the only one LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

owlbethere wrote: »
    But why did they have dead bat laid out at the market?

You could ask a lot of 'whys' about that slaughterhouse.

Ah come on. Welcome home. -> here's your bunk for next 2 weeks.

Get the fuvk over the fact you now live in a box for 2 weeks.

See you on the other side.

Invoke images of 1916 and shout up the ra.

Hey Mary, did ya here what they're doing if we arrived home from this airport?
    Yeah, **** that, airport b is just a short drive away, let's go there.
    Sorted. It'll blow the minds of some of the madsers on Boards.ie when they recognise our genius in blowing apart their devious plot.

On 23 January 2020, the central government of the People's Republic of China imposed a lockdown in Wuhan.

7 weeks later!

Wow, perspective. Little did we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

EU health ministers are looking for ways to produce more drugs and protective gear in Europe to cope with shortages caused by the coronavirus outbreak.

This event could turn the shift away from hyper globalism...maybe they will realise it's not exactly great to have a huge amount of generic drugs coming from just one country.
    Which country is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

citysights wrote: »
    What about clothes?
    If you mean "can the virus be caught from touching other people's clothes", my guess would be "it's possible". (Note: I'm not a medic or virologist or whatever.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

almostover wrote: »
    The language being used is very reminiscent of that used in 07-08 about about the property market crash. Don't panic, don't create panic, listen to the experts, it wont be as bad as it's being made out etc.

I sensed fear in their faces and voices all the same but they tried to stay calm too but I did get a sense of fear in them. In particularly, is this virus going to die off in the summer time. The HSE lad, I forget what he said but his answer was roughly saying - it's unclear followed by a no.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Hey Mary, did ya here what they're doing if we arrived home from this airport?
    Yeah, **** that, airport b is just a short drive away, let's go there.
    Sorted. It'll blow the minds of some of the madsers on Boards.ie when they recognise our genius in blowing apart their devious plot.

We have passports.
    They record where you've been and where you are going.
    Try commit a crime and cross a border and see what happens.
    I know we live in a fluffy world but its quite an illusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I see over teaching forum they're looking to get all the schools close. If any of them feck off on holidays they should be fined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

owlbethere wrote: »
    But why did they have dead bat laid out at the market?

Is the footage verified as Wuhan China?

The thing in the video - looks like deep fried rat on a stick tbh. And the thing beside it looks like a rather flat rat tbh - roadkill style maybe. Who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The thing in the video - looks like deep fried rat on a stick tbh. And the thing beside it looks like a rather flat rat tbh - roadkill style maybe. Who knows.

I've eaten worse in chippers at 1.00am of a Saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Because people are reactionary.

There's no way to control this. We'll either be very lucky and warmer weather will stop the virus, or unlucky and it'll spread exponentially.

Our control measures won't stop it. Comparisons to 100 years ago are useless. People are far more mobile and travel is common place. Our world is globalised and we cant turn it off by cancelling all travel. We'd starve.
    Banning flights from infected areas would not make it impossible to get from there to here. In the same way that putting a lock on a door doesn't make it impossible to open. It just makes it harder, and far fewer people will do it.

Saying we'd starve if we blocked travel is nonsense. The virus comes to countries in the form of people travelling for work or leisure. Then it gets established sooner or later. No need to block goods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,443 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's so difficult to put together a protest in a situation like this, activism is impossible. Could we collectively take all of our money out of the bank on the same day to make a statement??

Why what did the banks do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Banning flights from infected areas would not make it impossible to get from there to here. In the same way that putting a lock on a door doesn't make it impossible to open. It just makes it harder, and far fewer people will do it.

Saying we'd starve if we blocked travel is nonsense. The virus comes to countries in the form of people travelling for work or leisure. Then it gets established sooner or later. No need to block goods.

Point is moot anyway. It's here now and will spread via community transmission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Was questioning that myself, not great quality video but didn't look Chinese and having comments turned off (not the case on their other videos) is suspicious

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement