Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

same argument.
    Stop moaning. Epidemiology / basic arithmetic need not apply.

Other argument, HSE are hopeless not doing enough, why is the airport open, people are more important than economy, Leo is a prat, 3 people were living in a flat in China and 4 of them died

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

MadYaker wrote: »
    Today was the first day where they recorded no new cases in China according to BNO news. It looks like they may have reached a turning point with most people back to work next week, outside of hubei anyway. Maybe still to early to say.

Nope

74 new cases and 28 deaths in Hubei
    Outside it has dropped to nothing

MadYaker wrote: »
    Today was the first day where they recorded no new cases in China according to BNO news. It looks like they may have reached a turning point with most people back to work next week, outside of hubei anyway. Maybe still to early to say.

And they waited at least 7 weeks to shut down an overcrowded city with 11m occupants. I think we will be ok

Anyone with a grain of sense will be readying themselves as best they can for an all-out collapse of society,.

Not many posters on this forum suggests to me they would be ready for a collapse of society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Get back in to that bed or I'll redden your arse for ya!!!

Ok going to bed now ;)

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    brillant interview about the virus

Similar to the Richard Hatchett interview earlier on Channel 4 news. If people buy into the belief that adapting personal & social behaviour and actively follow what health professionals propose then the course of this virus outbreak can yet be influenced for the better. If they don't, then yes, the worse case scenario will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭JPCN1

blanch152 wrote: »
    Ireland so far looks the same as everywhere else. The government and the HSE are doing as good or bad a job as those in other countries, yet we have nonsense being posted on her about banning travel and inept HSE. Some people just like a moan.

Just look at tonight’s figures. Posters started crying and moaning that there was a cover-up, not enough were being tested and the HSE and government were inept and we are all going to die. Yet if the numbers had tripled, the exact same posters would have been saying that they told us the HSE were inept, we should have blocked the flights, and we are all going to die.

Nothing would please them, they will always find a way to shout and cry and whinge and moan and panic.

Misery loves company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Look, I totally agree that lives trump economy, but sadly economy sustains lives (and medical and humanitarian responses), so it has to be a consideration. It's unfortunate that we find our economy to be based around the largely selfish profit-maximising late-capitalist model.

FWIW I think that in our current case, we've got the balance wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

South by South West festival cancelled in Texas. Fair play to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I just came across this video about making your own hand sanitiser.

Good luck to anyone that wants to buy isopropyl alcohol by the way. I use it for various things (such as diluting it with distilled water to make record or CD cleaning spray) and have never been able to get it in a pharmacist without them having to order it. Even then they question what you want it for. There was one time I asked in a pharmacist if they had any isopropyl alcohol and the girl had never even heard of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

wakka12 wrote: »

Now that will be serious considering India already has 30 cases.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Similar to the Richard Hatchett interview earlier on Channel 4 news. If people buy into the belief that adapting personal & social behaviour and actively follow what health professionals propose then the course of this virus outbreak can yet be influenced for the better. If they don't, then yes, the worse case scenario will happen.

It's not "people" though. It's governments.

We're not getting out of this by washing our hands. Though that's really important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

In fact, there are a lot of newly-set up profiles in here which are suddenly very critical of the general public reaction to the public health emergency going on, while being quite coy about their own agenda.

I will add that unity in the face of this virus is recommended by the authorities, who aren't taking proportionate measures to contain it. Anyone with a grain of sense will be readying themselves as best they can for an all-out collapse of society, with loved ones dying suddenly and with regularity. They're no longer doing funerals in Italy. We're about three weeks behind them.

So in short, you are saying, and witbout any real proof, we are doomed. Seriously, where do you get this scenario from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

In fact, there are a lot of newly-set up profiles in here which are suddenly very critical of the general public reaction to the public health emergency going on, while being quite coy about their own agenda.

I will add that unity in the face of this virus is recommended by the authorities, who aren't taking proportionate measures to contain it. Anyone with a grain of sense will be readying themselves as best they can for an all-out collapse of society, with loved ones dying suddenly and with regularity. They're no longer doing funerals in Italy. We're about three weeks behind them.

Get a grip. 197 people have died so far in Italy from Covid 19. ~1766 people die in Italy every day.

gabeeg wrote: »
    It's not "people" though. It's governments.

We're not getting out of this by washing our hands. Though that's really important.

It's governments cooperating with their respective populations. Outside of an authoritarian method of government like China, its the only method available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

Get back in to that bed or I'll redden your arse for ya!!!

jayzers, that takes me back lol

redden the arse of ya

ahh simpler times

wudnt quite chance it today now tbh, might b misconstrued

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Silane

I just came across this video about making your own hand sanitiser.

Good luck to anyone that wants to buy isopropyl alcohol by the way. I use it for various things (such as diluting it with distilled water to make record or CD cleaning spray) and have never been able to get it in a pharmacist without them having to order it. Even then they question what you want it for. There was one time I asked in a pharmacist if they had any isopropyl alcohol and the girl had never even heard of it.

I buy IPA from a guy on adverts for E8/Liter + P&P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I have family in Italy and can speak Italian. You could just use google translate.

504781.png

Nice try ......
    Still awake.
    Read a book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

MD1990 wrote: »
    brillant interview about the virus

this was excellent, lots of interesting points
    • Very rare to be infected and showing no symptoms, usually symptoms will eventually appear
    • Younger people do get infected and can die very quickly, it is still unclear what categories are at risk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Nice try ......
    Still awake.
    Read a book.

Can't help yourself can you? Understood.

Get a grip. 197 people have died so far in Italy from Covid 19. ~1766 people die in Italy every day.

Please stop with this non sensational, non hysteric posting!
    Next you will post something mad like bad diets kills multiple times more people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Street trader selling the 'last of the (over priced) face masks' of dubious quality or benefit outside Jervis Centre on Friday Same people used to sell dodgy cigarettes previoisly so have now seen thr light are promoting health. Probably wont have much demand for the last of the shamrock this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Tordelback wrote: »
    Look, I totally agree that lives trump economy, but sadly economy sustains lives (and medical and humanitarian responses), so it has to be a consideration. It's unfortunate that we find our economy to be based around the largely selfish profit-maximising late-capitalist model.

FWIW I think that in our current case, we've got the balance wrong.

Maybe it will be a kick up the hole to leaders/business that the neoliberal policies aren't working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    So in short, you are saying, and witbout any real proof, we are doomed. Seriously, where do you get this scenario from?
    I'm going to have to ask you to go ahead and have a read of the thread. The situation is open to interpretation at this stage. I'm a gambling man and my decision is to take no chances with this one.

If I'm wrong, I'll throw my hands up and admit it. I hope I'm wrong. Global supply chains and economies rely on people going out, working and spending money. When the risk of infection is too great to enable those of us who remain to leave our houses, that's all going to collapse.

I'll ring Paddy Power tomorrow and check the odds on that one.
    1% more than usual currently so, four weeks into detection there. At what percentage increase of the death rate will you be changing your routine? Or will you wait until the health system is completely overwhelmed to recalibrate your risk?

I'm going to have to ask you to go ahead and have a read of the thread.

Exactly what will reading the thread do for any logical person.
    The thread is polluted with inaccurate ramblings and moanings of people who would be well advised to seek medical attention to lower anxiety levels

I'm going to have to ask you to go ahead and have a read of the thread. The situation is open to interpretation at this stage. I'm a gambling man and my decision is to take no chances with this one.

If I'm wrong, I'll throw my hands up and admit it. I hope I'm wrong. Global supply chains and economies rely on people going out, working and spending money. When the risk of infection is too great to enable those of us who remain to leave our houses, that's all going to collapse.

I'll ring Paddy Power tomorrow and check the odds on that one.

1% more than usual currently so, four weeks into detection there. At what percentage increase of the death rate will you be changing your routine? Or will you wait until the health system is completely overwhelmed to recalibrate your risk?

It's not open to interpretation. This thread needs to deal in facts. You are not dealing in facts. You are dealing in hyperbole and it's really upsetting as you might well lead to people's death (though your delusional beliefs.).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I reckon the people online who are casual about this are the same kind of folk I come across everyday who sneeze and cough openly without any regard for others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

ITman88 wrote: »
    Exactly what will reading the thread do for any logical person.
    The thread is polluted with inaccurate ramblings and moanings of people who would be well advised to seek medical attention to lower anxiety levels
    They'll be hard pushed to get any medical attention in the coming weeks and months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I'm not crazy right wing but this Liberal opinion piece. Well Said.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement