Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    this was excellent, lots of interesting points
    • Very rare to be infected and showing no symptoms, usually symptoms will eventually appear
    • Younger people do get infected and can die very quickly, it is still unclear what categories are at risk

I suspect many millions of people in Europe are not at risk of contracting it (definitely those who are very healthy or anyone with a strong immune system).

If it was genuinely super contagious, cases in Europe would already be in the tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

1% more than usual currently so, four weeks into detection there. At what percentage increase of the death rate will you be changing your routine? Or will you wait until the health system is completely overwhelmed to recalibrate your risk?

It’s not 1% because the number of deaths is total so far over the course of the outbreak versus average per day. OFC it may well exceed that in time as one would expect the deaths to increase significantly each day.

I will change my routine when I am advised to do so by the relevant authorities. I was already conscious of personal hygiene and manners so my hand washing and not coughing/sneezing in people’s faces routine hasn’t changed.

Recalibrate my risk of what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Strazdas wrote: »
    I suspect many millions of people in Europe are not at risk of contracting it (definitely those who are very healthy or anyone with a strong immune system).

If it was genuinely super contagious, cases in Europe would already be in the tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands.
    How could the technicians across Europe have physically tested that volume of people in a month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'm not crazy right wing but this Liberal opinion piece. Well Said.

Maybe need to spread your wings for your online reporting
    Self serving opinion pieces and in the vein of The Sun for it's "reporting"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

There are already over 6000 cases in Europe with many more suspected or awaiting results, likely at least half are not reported, could already be in the tens of thousands.

• Advertisement

Do you understand if you are young, healthy and with a good immune system does not make you immune from catching it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I'm going to have to ask you to go ahead and have a read of the thread. The situation is open to interpretation at this stage. I'm a gambling man and my decision is to take no chances with this one.

If I'm wrong, I'll throw my hands up and admit it. I hope I'm wrong. Global supply chains and economies rely on people going out, working and spending money. When the risk of infection is too great to enable those of us who remain to leave our houses, that's all going to collapse.

I'll ring Paddy Power tomorrow and check the odds on that one.

1% more than usual currently so, four weeks into detection there. At what percentage increase of the death rate will you be changing your routine? Or will you wait until the health system is completely overwhelmed to recalibrate your risk?

I have been reading some of the thresd but a kot of it is specualtion and doomsday stuff. I understand supply chain and also percentwges. Life goes on and economic activity will go on. I am too busy to bother reading all this thread. It should come with a health warning equal to or greater than an risk of Covid infection.
    There is of course a tinychance you are correct, but its not worth dwelliing on. More people were killed on our roads in the past 8 days than by any virus but nobody seems too cincerned by that. Accidents happen, people die but if they are exposed to a virus, we are doomed. I would rsthrr people slow down on our roads and obey the trsffic laws. That would save a few lives and perhaps cancel out the deaths thst may arise from this virus. But for many, thsts irrelwvant. They are consumed by this virus before it even infects them.
    On the bright side, Boards.ie are coining it with all the data and adserving revenues from millions of views of these threads. Bad news makes money too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Incidentally how exactly does one prepare oneself for the collapse of society? No point buying stuff because in the absence of society someone bigger than you will just steal it.

How could the technicians across Europe have physically tested that volume of people in a month?

What technicians are you taking about? A technician can't diagnose. You don't know what your are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

I know that that Medical pro professional in Clare got tested originally and was a negative. Would all here who called him all names under the sun apologise.. I think not

fritzelly wrote: »
    Do you understand if you are young, healthy and with a good immune system does not make you immune from catching it?

Yes, but those who catch it are still a small minority. Tens of millions or hundreds of millions of people don't contract the flu in Europe every winter.....it's a tiny fraction of that

Yes, but those who catch it are still a small minority. Tens of millions or hundreds of millions of people don't contract the flu in Europe every winter.....it's a tiny fraction of that

Tens of millions of people in Europe do contract flu every winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Incidentally how exactly does one prepare oneself for the collapse of society? No point buying stuff because in the absence of society someone bigger than you will just steal it.

Build a Thunderdome run shows at 3pm and 9pm.

wakka12 wrote: »
    There are already over 6000 cases in Europe with many more suspected or awaiting results, likely at least half are not reported, could already be in the tens of thousands.

Those are still very small numbers. If it was hyper contagious, one solitary person could infect hundreds of others (and repeated in every case).....that is just not happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

So the odds of this mutating like the severity of the second wave of the Spanish Flu should be extremely low, right? I mean that was unprecedented times with a world war and all that crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Start a prepper/survivalist thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

nocoverart wrote: »
    I reckon the people online who are casual about this are the same kind of folk I come across everyday who sneeze and cough openly without any regard for others.

Goodman, so if your NOT on the verge of a mental breakdown, posting horse€&@€; facts and figures, and scaremongering vulnerable people with general tripe talk . . You sneeze and cough openly!

wakka12 wrote: »
    Tens of millions of people in Europe do contract flu every winter

Less than that....maybe 5m (around one in every hundred people)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

What technicians are you taking about? A technician can't diagnose. You don't know what your are talking about.

focusing on semantics doesn't help, the point was that there is no way for qualified professionals to diagnose that quantity of cases.

• Advertisement

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I have been reading some of the thresd but a kot of it is specualtion and doomsday stuff. I understand supply chain and also percentwges. Life goes on and economic activity will go on. I am too busy to bother reading all this thread. It should come with a health warning equal to or greater than an risk of Covid infection.
    There is of course a tinychance you are correct, but its not worth dwelliing on. More people were killed on our roads in the past 8 days than by any virus but nobody seems too cincerned by that. Accidents happen, people die but if they are exposed to a virus, we are doomed. I would rsthrr people slow down on our roads and obey the trsffic laws. That would save a few lives and perhaps cancel out the deaths thst may arise from this virus. But for many, thsts irrelwvant. They are consumed by this virus before it even infects them.
    On the bright side, Boards.ie are coining it with all the data and adserving revenues from millions of views of these threads. Bad news makes money too.
    Great points. Especially about the road deaths. But fortunately traffic accidents aren't contagious and don't start to occur with more regular frequency and spread their pattern of growth across countries with the passage of time.

Unfortunately your complacency is an attitude I'm disinclined towards. It's not an accident if you stand in the middle of a train track and wait.

I'm sorry if you're worried, but I'm glad if it stirs momentum in you and leads to a more cautious disposition. We're delaying the inevitable and you can still decide at this point if you're going to fall prey to inaction or if you'll actually behave in a way which will ensure your survival. Next week could be too late.

You are just making yourself looking like a fool with these absurd statements

So the odds of this mutating like the severity of the second wave of the Spanish Flu should be extremely low, right? I mean that was unprecedented times with a world war and all that crap.

They didnt have ICU's, Ventilators or Modern healthcare etc so a little bit different.

Limited stock available
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walking-Dead-Official-Cookbook/dp/1785657313/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3MADBZYS44X1U&keywords=walking+dead+cookbook&qid=1583543952&sprefix=walking+dead+cook%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

So if people weren't travelling through Northern Italy we would have no cases? Great thanks Italy

Those are still very small numbers. If it was hyper contagious, one solitary person could infect hundreds of others (and repeated in every case).....that is just not happening.

What are you on about hundreds? The R0 is 1-2. Most people with it will probably infect 1-2 people

Unknown - come back in 6 months and ask the question again if there is anyone left to answer it

If you believe the Chinese "scientists" there is already a worse mutation out there

JJayoo wrote: »
    So if people weren't travelling through Northern Italy we would have no cases? Great thanks Italy

You are a 100% right, No doubt about it.

Less than that....maybe 5m (around one in every hundred people)

'Seasonal influenza causes 4 -50 million symptomatic cases in EU/EEA each year, and 15 000 – 70 000 European citizens die every year of causes associated with influenza. '
    https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/seasonal-influenza/facts/factsheet
    Influenza has a lower R0 than COVID. So COVID will likely infected tens of millions of europeans. Any more unsubstantiated statements to make?

• Advertisement

tails_naf wrote: »
    focusing on semantics doesn't help, the point was that there is no way for qualified professionals to diagnose that quantity of cases.
    I mean, I know he's a pharmacist, but I'd at least have expected him to know the roles of his colleagues.
    A medical and clinical laboratory technician is someone who conducts lab tests ordered by doctors and other healthcare providers. Working with laboratory machines, microscopes, and computers, they examine human tissue samples and bodily fluids in order to identify abnormalities and to determine diagnoses

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement