Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Great points. Especially about the road deaths. But fortunately traffic accidents aren't contagious and don't start to occur with more regular frequency and spread their pattern of growth across countries with the passage of time.

Unfortunately your complacency is an attitude I'm disinclined towards. It's not an accident if you stand in the middle of a train track and wait.

I'm sorry if you're worried, but I'm glad if it stirs momentum in you and leads to a more cautious disposition. We're delaying the inevitable and you can still decide at this point if you're going to fall prey to inaction or if you'll actually behave in a way which will ensure your survival. Next week could be too late.

Here’s the thing, your right they aren’t contagious. But they are out of our control, and being involved in a fatal crash may not be the fault of the victim. Both fatal crashes and this virus have certain things in common, one of which is control, the other is death.
    We can try and reduce the likelihood of each but we will never completely stop either.
    And luckily the virus only kills a fraction in comparison to crashes
    How do you suggest one behaves in a way to ensure survival??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Strazdas wrote: »
    Less than that....maybe 5m (around one in every hundred people)

Looks up the population of Europe

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

ITman88 wrote:
    Can’t go to parade due to work!!! I am washing my hands more often as instructed, no hand gel or masks bought tho!

SAXA wrote:
    I know that that Medical pro professional in Clare got tested originally and was a negative. Would all here who called him all names under the sun apologise.. I think not

F u all this thread has ruined people and their how the live and raise their kids.. Hope ye are happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

ITman88 wrote: »
    Goodman, so if your NOT on the verge of a mental breakdown, posting horse€&@€; facts and figures, and scaremongering vulnerable people with general tripe talk . . You sneeze and cough openly!

I didn’t post any facts or figures, what you talking about? and I’m genuinely interested in history and things like the Spanish Flu. Obviously I don’t think this will be anything like that but I’m intrigued in how that got so out of hand, but sorry if it came across as scaremongering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

can cats/dogs/pets carry it? if not in their system on their coat?
    like if old infected jimmy is isolatin himself down the road but his cat is whorin it round every house on the road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

nocoverart wrote: »
    I reckon the people online who are casual about this are the same kind of folk I come across everyday who sneeze and cough openly without any regard for others.

I reckon the people online who think the sky is going to fall in are all neck beards living in their mam’s house getting their jollies from misery pron.

Stupid posts with off the wall generalisations are fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Great points. Especially about the road deaths. But fortunately traffic accidents aren't contagious and don't start to occur with more regular frequency and spread their pattern of growth across countries with the passage of time.

Unfortunately your complacency is an attitude I'm disinclined towards. It's not an accident if you stand in the middle of a train track and wait.

I'm sorry if you're worried, but I'm glad if it stirs momentum in you and leads to a more cautious disposition. We're delaying the inevitable and you can still decide at this point if you're going to fall prey to inaction or if you'll actually behave in a way which will ensure your survival. Next week could be too late.

I have no idea what you are on about regarding trains. It sounds like suicide rather than roat traffic incident, and thus totally irrelevant to any discussions on road deaths.

Pleaee dont be sorry for me, i am not worried about the virus as its a low risk thing for me, and most of the population.

I am curious as to what version of doomsday software you are running. I trialled doomsdsy 1.0 but it was giving false oitcomes from thr data so i just reverted to making my own mind up based on yesrs of making decisions for myself. I trust my gut and it tells me we are not facing a break down in society. Boards.ie is not ssfe, and there is more than a tiny chance it may breakdown. Paddy Power may quote you on that too.
    I am off to enjoy a calm and relaxing sleep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

SAXA wrote: »
    F u all this thread has ruined people and their how the live and raise their kids.. Hope ye are happy.

but you're awful, Murray

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

leavingirl wrote: »
    All fake 'epidemics'.
    He got very rich from them, though.

Not to mention $20m in funding he has just received from the U.K. government

nocoverart wrote: »
    I didn’t post any facts or figures, what you talking about? and I’m genuinely interested in history and things like the Spanish Flu. Obviously I don’t think this will be anything like that but I’m intrigued in how that got so out of hand, but sorry if it came across as scaremongering.

Apologies I didn’t make it clear, I was talking about the thread in general not your post.
    The Spanish flu and that time period is interesting to me too, reading history books makes me appreciate the fantastic, privileged era we are experiencing in this country. Long may we prosper

• Advertisement

Victorian health authorities are trying to contact about 70 patients of a Melbourne doctor who has developed coronavirus after returning from the US

I have to say I am flabbergasted that a doctor that has flulike symptoms has presented to work,” Mikakos said.

“He became unwell with a runny nose on an internal flight from Denver to San Francisco on February 27, US time, then flew to from San Francisco to Melbourne on United Airlines flight UA60, arriving at approximately 9.30am Saturday 29 February.”

The doctor saw approximately 70 patients last week between Monday 2 March and Friday 6 March at the Toorak Clinic on Malvern Road. The clinic has been since closed.

Patients have been contacted by text message, phone or email and two patients the doctor treated in a Malvern nursing home have been isolated.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/07/flabbergasted-melbourne-doctor-with-coronavirus-symptoms-continued-seeing-patients

I reckon the people online who think the sky is going to fall in are all neck beards living in their mam’s house getting their jollies from misery pron.

Stupid posts with off the wall generalisations are fun!

Are we worse for trying to talk sense into them???

LaFuton wrote: »
    like if old infected jimmy is isolatin himself down the road but his cat is whorin it round every house on the road?

A singular report of the virus been found in a dog (can google it)

Nothing positive about the dog being a carrier - dogs lick everything so not surprising they might find it in it's mouth/nose
    But like anything the virus could be then transferred to a human, even from it's fur

Dog licks bum, licks owners face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

And they waited at least 7 weeks to shut down an overcrowded city with 11m occupants. I think we will be ok

In the meantime we have shut down nothing. Want to fly to and from infected regions? No bother! Want to return to work having came back from infected region? No bother! Want to cancel large gatherings of people because it's been shown to work elsewhere? Nah dont be stupid - sure we're Irish....

Ah sure it'll be grand ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Are we worse for trying to talk sense into them???

Ah sure an auld discussion on the interwebs is no good if nobody disagrees with you.

But I’ll stop now and will also enjoy a calm and relaxing sleep like Kaisr Sose. Good night all.

Transfer from the Grand Princess cruise ship who now have a few dozen confirmed cases
    Running out of places to go isolate - here I come Aran Islands

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1236100900164382721

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

LaFuton wrote: »

I'm having belly full of laughs at this post. It's your wording about poor old Jimmy in home isolating with a cat out whoring the disease into every house on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

fritzelly wrote: »
    Looks up the population of Europe

:eek:

Five multiplied by one hundred equals 500m, correct? Population of EU before the UK left was 510m.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Victorian health authorities are trying to contact about 70 patients of a Melbourne doctor who has developed coronavirus after returning from the US

I have to say I am flabbergasted that a doctor that has flulike symptoms has presented to work,” Mikakos said.

“He became unwell with a runny nose on an internal flight from Denver to San Francisco on February 27, US time, then flew to from San Francisco to Melbourne on United Airlines flight UA60, arriving at approximately 9.30am Saturday 29 February.”

The doctor saw approximately 70 patients last week between Monday 2 March and Friday 6 March at the Toorak Clinic on Malvern Road. The clinic has been since closed.

Patients have been contacted by text message, phone or email and two patients the doctor treated in a Malvern nursing home have been isolated.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/07/flabbergasted-melbourne-doctor-with-coronavirus-symptoms-continued-seeing-patients

Here the quote would be “I’m flabbergasted that the irresponsible media has named the profession and approximate location of a patient of the virus.”

gozunda wrote: »
    In the meantime we have shut down nothing. Want to fly to and from infected regions? No bother! Want to return to work having came back from infected region? No bother! Want to cancel large gatherings of people becsuse it been shown to work elsewhere? Nah dont be stupid - sure we're Irish....

Ah sure it'll be grand ...

Yeah it will be grand, nowhere near the population density here, Just because a few guys on boards are having an anxiety attack doesn’t mean all that can be done isn’t been done

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This thread is going for the dogs. I’d buy some tin foil to make a tin foil hat but the panic buying has caused a shortage
    They could be a bit more engaging in fairness, all this hush hush about precise locations as if its some state secret, these people are supposed to work in our interest, no one wants to know the people names

Ok let’s take this one. Let’s say the government decides to name specific areas. So 2 adults, Mary and Joe, return from their jollies in Italy and it emerges they’re infected. They live in Rathmines.

The government announces that 2 people from Rathmines are infected.

What do you think will happen next? Do we cordon off Rathmines entirely? Do we put the residents up in a containment camp?

What will the public want then? The street they live on? The number of their house?

Just what will knowing the location actually do? Stop you going for pints in Slattery’s?

Yeah it will be grand, nowhere near the population density here, Just because a few guys on boards are having an anxiety attack doesn’t mean all that can be done isn’t been done

So not a big fan of reality then? And sure we're Irish. It won't affect us. Grand so ;)

So not a big fan of reality then? And sure we're Irish. It won't affect us. Grand so ;)

I’m a fan of logic.
    And I don’t suffer anxiety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Indeed, the population of the eight infected regions in northern Italy is 28m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

The US wasn't a hotspot though so the doctor in Melbourne did nothing wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Pleaee dont be sorry for me, i am not worried about the virus as its a low risk thing for me, and most of the population.
    Oh you're going for a "Last Man on Earth" - tupe situation? As in, it doesn't matter if everyone else gets sick because you're healthy. Sound man.
    I trust my gut and it tells me we are not facing a breakdown in society. Boards.ie is not ssfe, and there is more than a tiny chance it may breakdown. Paddy Power may quote you on that too.
    I am off to enjoy a calm and relaxing sleep.
    Night!

I have to also say I have been sleeping incredibly soundly since this all kicked off. Usually I can't sleep for about three hours because my thoughts about work and commitments are troubling me, but in the last week, I feel like I've obtained a sort of perspective I never had before and the important things are just lined up. I've been enjoying my interactions way more and just generally reveling in being alive. Life is class.
    Here’s the thing, your right they aren’t contagious. But they are out of our control, and being involved in a fatal crash may not be the fault of the victim. Both fatal crashes and this virus have certain things in common, one of which is control, the other is death.
    We can try and reduce the likelihood of each but we will never completely stop either.
    And luckily the virus only kills a fraction in comparison to crashes
    How do you suggest one behaves in a way to ensure survival??
    The thing not in common is the very thing that makes them not comparable, contagiousness. In the coming weeks the virus is going to become more of a preoccupation than road deaths, I can assure you.

A neighbour said to me today that they weren't on as much alert when they were awaiting the results for a cancer test as they are about this virus. They're thinking about it every waking moment. And they're not even on the Internet, so I'm glad the seriousness is permeating through the general consciousness.

I’m a fan of logic.
    And I don’t suffer anxiety

I see you've substituted your own unique logic for reality. If that's what you are into ...

Not anxiety but rather grandeurs of delusion

If you want logic - take a look at what has already happened in Italy and China ...

See you in a couple of weeks ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

I have two kids so far not worried for them. Both myself and my wife early forties so sould be fine.. our parents not so.. one just out of hip op and other in long term care with health isues .. Prople posting and laughing about deaths should be banned... if they died and were laughed at because they trans bi gay children etc it would be stopped v quickly.. The elderly are not equalled represented here Mods get a grip here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 haydeyhi

18 cases in the republic but in reality could be closer to 1000 at the minute with the incubation period and a lot of people won't bother their arse get tested and be in a pub full of people over the weekend infecting others but sure that's life.

Not worried really but using the oul hand santizer after touching any door handles in work but not stopping me living normally.

It really is a mad one with percentage of deaths and have stocked up on crates of beer and Whiskey, long lasting foods such as pasta, tinned foods and frozen foods. Sure there cheap as chips anyway and will be used at some stage regardless.

Better to be prepared anyway. What I think will happen one part of Ireland will get absolutely riddled with it and people will move and spread it further.

• Advertisement

I see you've substituted your own unique logic for reality. If that's what you are into ...

Not anxiety but rather grandeurs of delusion

If you want logic - take a look at what has already happened in Italy and China ...

See you in a couple of weeks ...

Yeah I’ve taken a good look at Italy and China that’s why I’m not so worried, for my vulnerable relatives I am worried, but no more worried than before this kicked off.
    Our fate isn’t in our control anyway,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement